Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal and Spirituality page 2

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm looking forward at reviewing the Universal Masters paper by God et al addressing the question of "Life, the Universe & Everything" alas after getting access I will not be of corporeal body and be incommunicado, so you'll have to wait for your own copy.

But while here I tend to use one main rule.
    "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
    or put even more simply "Empathy"

I respect all and treat equally, from the smallest to the largest, I talk to people, not down to people, I use the test chainsaw test on pedastals, haven't found one that doesn't fall yet
    If I ever feel myself rising to arrogance, I dive to ground rapidly and pledge my humility before there is any chance of "Humble Pie", I have eaten plenty in my past and it don't taste good.
    I choose not to regret by choosing carefully, not always failsafe but I do as well as I can.

Plenty more, but that's a general idea.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Depends what your definition of spirituality is! For some people spirituality means religion. To me, it means understanding life.

I was an atheist for a long time, so I can understand where Dawkins etc. are coming from. They're arguing against the religious idea of "god".

Personally I look at everything in terms of energy and consciousness. Things actually makes sense now.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    Living more like your ancient ancestors seems very spiritual to me.
    Yip. Living in a way that fulfils you is the most spiritual thing you can do imo.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    I'm a Quaker. I've made peace with the pacifist focus of my religion and the dead animal focus of my diet. The other members of my Meeting, not so much.

EDIT: Before the other modern cavepeople jump all over me, I want to just add that I'm a non-theist Quaker and there's more to the faith than just pacifism.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My spirituality is informed by everything I encounter, sacred or secular, once-in-a-lifetime or mundane, and Primal is no exception. I was challenged by Primal in that I was a long-term vegetarian for ethical/spiritual reasons, and eating flesh and reading and being here at the MDA with all you meatheads would very quickly bring those same ethical concerns to the fore. Enter a steep learning curve about grass-fed/pastured, biologically appropriate feeding of the animals we raise, and nose-to-tail eating. And also learning that real Primal isn't about having Angus beef orgies on a weekly basis. Primal has answers for ethical concerns and is just as worried about BigAg and all that as vegetarians are, but I didn't know it going in.

The word "evolutionary" doesn't throw up any walls for me, as I happen to still be in a huge personal period of church-changing and personal worldview questioning, and got rid of knee-jerk reactions to most religious and spiritual "trigger" words a few years back (as pertains to those words and phrases that tend to make traditional Christians go off the deep end quickly).

As evidenced by that HUGE "You know you are Primal when..." thread, there is a soul-satisfying dimension to a Primal meal that cannot be denied. All those folks writing in are mostly describing a personal spiritual event, when it comes down to it.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Owen is offline Senior Member
    For me spirituality is found in the power of nature -we can put a man on the moon but we can't make an apple or a carrot or an egg - and that's where the real power in our lives resides, as anyone on this site would surely agree. The old testament says mankind was cast out of garden of eden, whereas as a paleo advocate, I contend that we're still in it. If you want proof, I'll show you the contents of my fridge......

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Great discussion.

As a follower of Christ the Primal lifestyle makes perfect sense to me. As previously stated I believe God created the world and all in it. He gave us what we needed to be healthy and happy. We are the ones who have messed it up. Living this way leads us back to the Garden. The Celts and Native Americans would pray after killing for food thanking the animal for giving up its life for their nourishment and their God(s) for providing the animal. I am sure other cultures did that as well. I like that practice. While I don't hunt for my own food I can still be thankful when eating what has been provided. And being outside just leaves me in awe of creation. I don't claim to understand it all but for me there is no dissonance between my beliefs and science. For me God is the creator. Science is just one more part of or maybe the entire creation.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm neo-pagan. Primal and my spirituality fit perfectly together.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post
    Thanks for that link. I found the full article here :
    Truthdig - An Atheist Manifesto

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Until recently I would say that I'm neither religious nor spiritual. But the latter is starting to change a bit after I discovered Karl Jung.

The last few years have been rough. I turned 40 just as my job dead-ended and my adult son came to live with me. I began drinking a lot. I started seeing a shrink and things stabilized but my life still felt like one long grind.

I took an online Myers-Briggs personality test and it kind me thinking of Jung. I decided I should check him out. At the same time I began to look at mid-life crises books on Amazon. I was also looking a journaling and meditation. I have a hard time with meditation so I googled something like "how to meditate for people who don't like meditation" and came to website extolling coloring books. Their point was that coloring books are how you keep kids occupied and it works for adults to. It can't be creative (other than color choice) since you don't want make decisions. You just want to zone out. Anyhow the website linked to an adult (not that kind of adult) of Mandalas.

I bought the Mandala coloring book, some colored pencils, a couple of mid-life crisis books and a book on journaling.

The mid-life crisis books were both by Jungians, the book on journaling spent a lot of time on Jung's journals and mentioned that in his journals he like to draw.......Mandalas. One of Jung's precepts is synchronicity and here it was!

I'm the very opposite of woo-woo, crystals and chakra type. But it was quite weird.

I've come around to the idea that we need some spiritual path to make life bearable. I don't believe in the supernatural as understood by most religions. But I believe there are depths of personality that are remarkable. So I guess my spiritual quest is a bit ego-centric, literally. But that doesn't mean it's selfish. In fact I think it will lead me to be a more whole person who can positively impact others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast