Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does starvation mode exist? page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Does starvation mode exist?

Primal Fuel
    I am curious to know if starvation mode exists. I work out a lot (and wrote another post about chronic cardio) yet I seem to either be gaining weight, or not losing it. Considering how much cardio I do, technically I should be losing.

Wondering if starvation mode exists? I also want to say that I probably eat I would guess max 1500 cals a day and do 45 mins of cardio 5 times a week.

TrackMom is offline Member
    I would like to know more. What kind of food are you eating each day? What is the breakdown of your macros? ie % of calories from fat/protein/carbs? What intensity are each of your workouts?
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

Sure, I eat a mostly plant based diet. Breakfast usually an apple with almond butter, most days I don't have time so it's literally a coffee with some soy milk. Lunch is usually two huge sides of veggies, could be roasted brussels and kale salad, green beans and roasted carrots. Always only veggies bc eating meat for me makes me really tired at lunch, so save that for dinner a few nights a week. Dinner always roasted veggies, maybe veggie curry with some chicken, salad etc. I eat clean.

I posted a thread that I noticed i was going over 75% of my heartrate when I work out on the ellptical and run. I usually do the elliptical but incorporate running when I can (usually 20 mins and then go back to elliptical)

I am a newbie at this, but I will share my personal n=1 experiment. Unlike you, I do eat more meat, and now that I'm over 40, I found that reducing calories, eating lots of veggies, and exercising similarly to you was no longer working. My switch started as a journey to quit refined sugar and grains and transitioned very quickly to full blow HF/LC. I am in ketosis, my last blood test was 2.6 mmol/L.

What has helped me most for energy and mood is FAT!!! I was nervous at first to increase it, but I am so glad I did. I now consume on average 2000 calories/day. I am doing cardio 4x/w at 75% or less, HIIT 1x/w, and strength 2x/w. 75% of all my calories come from fat, 20% protein, 5% carb. I am generous with olive oil and/or olive oil based dressings on my salads, butter and sauces on my vegetables, straight CO in the morning as a supplement. Of course, I also eat fatty meat. I truly believe the fat makes a huge difference. I started this path 30 days ago, and surprisingly, I have dropped 11 lbs.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

I want to just say that I am not overweight by any means but I do notice that I have been gaining weight lately, or not even losing at all. I feel like when I eat more meat I gain weight, which is why I also started to eat a ton more veggies. I have to say I am not full on paleo, bc I will eat some rice maybe once every two weeks (with thai or chinese food only), but otherwise I really don't eat grains. I rarely eat dairy, I don't eat nuts, I rarely eat fruit, except for a few times a week for breakfast and its low sugar. I am just at a loss at this point since i technically burn 500 cals on elliptical a day.

I want to understand on the biological level why this diet/exercise routine doesnt work, which is why I wanted to know if it is starvation mode or not. DO i need to switch to very low carb in order to see changes? I am worried that I am going to gain more weight eating more fat and protein.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    A couple of flags in there, "plant based diet, Soy milk, I eat clean",
    Many here would say the second and third points are not in agreement.
    What are your other stats, height, weight body shape etc., where did you come from weight wise and in what timeframe.
    IMO 2-5 years to get to relatively good health if you came from a place of poor health like most here.

Assuming you are female, the risks in weight loss with a low cal diet closer to the edge in dietary mix would indicate you have a greater chance of downregulating metabolism, which many refer to as "Starvation Mode"

I am a firm believer that correcting health and lifestyle will lead to appropriate weight loss, should you choose to push your body beyond the place where it is comfortable, then your body will respond with whatever adjustments it feels appropriate, it may slow metabolism, eliminate menstral cycles, stop wasting energy on non essential functions like hair growth i.e. hair falls out, etc.etc.

Remember your brain may be in charge of your interaction with the outside world,
    but your body is in charge of what goes on within.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    This is anecdotal obviously, but I'm pretty sure I've experienced "starvation mode". I had a gastric bypass 8 years ago, and was losing weight at a rapid pace for obvious reasons. About 3-4 months after surgery I was eating around 800 calories a day (high protein, low carb, low fat) and at that point I had lost enough weight that my joints weren't hurting anymore, so I ramped up the exercise and started taking TaeKwonDo lessons. My weight loss, which if I remember correctly had been 4-6 lbs. a week, went to a standstill for weeks. I was baffled--why did I stop losing weight when I was exercising more? I finally put 2 and 2 together, increased my calorie intake as much as I could (mainly with protein shakes), and weight started coming off again. Just my experience, and obviously not one that most people could relate to, but I think it was a pretty clear case of starvation mode.

You could be insulin sensitive. Protein can act like a carbohydrate in the digestion process, and the meats you have been eating may be very lean. I can't say if you need to go very low carb, but wonder if you do need more fat. Best sources for fat are coconut oil, olive oil, butter, lard, avocado, nuts, fatty meats, fatty fish, etc.

A really good website to visit is The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to go very low carb. You do need to eat an adequate amount of protein for your lean mass (samples given in the book) and stop eating inflammatory foods like soy milk or almond butter.

If you want to do primal as a vegetarian, you need to eat legumes (soaked, preferably fermented), dairy and eggs to get the good fats and vitamins. Apart from that, just follow the book. I lost weight eating something like primal, except I was having legume curries for breakfast each day and walking lots. Was having some dairy but had reduced it on cardiologists recommendation. No strenuous exercise at all. The weight fell off and I kept lean mass
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    You don't need to go very low carb. You do need to eat an adequate amount of protein for your lean mass (samples given in the book) and stop eating inflammatory foods like soy milk or almond butter.

If you want to do primal as a vegetarian, you need to eat legumes (soaked, preferably fermented), dairy and eggs to get the good fats and vitamins. Apart from that, just follow the book. I lost weight eating something like primal, except I was having legume curries for breakfast each day and walking lots. Was having some dairy but had reduced it on cardiologists recommendation. No strenuous exercise at all. The weight fell off and I kept lean mass
    I doubt that a little soymilk and once weekly almond butter is really causing inflammation in my body. Plus legume are more inflammatory always, which you eat, according to the book.

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around eating a ton of protein, when cultures across the globe, mainly japanese, eat very little meat, eat white rice and tons of veggies and happen to be way thinner than any of us meat eaters over here.

I have not had my period in about 5 years at this point, but it all started after I took some nasty drug that wrecked havoc on my body. Hormones have not been the same ever since, but I have to say that the latest test showed my levels in normal range. This has been one of the first times that I have seen it balanced, but have yet to have a natural cycle. I don't equate that to diet, since I have tried full paleo before (felt worse eating a ton of animal all the time) and still did not get my period.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast