Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does starvation mode exist? page 3

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I am 5'6 115, would like to get back down to 110, which to me is where I naturally was for years and years. I have always been thin, so please don't just by these numbers. I feel healthiest and look my best at that weight.
    That sounds like anorexia-territory to me. Any wonder you haven't had a period? No way am I going to support you in losing more weight.

For the record, I am 5'6" and small-boned.

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    That sounds like anorexia-territory to me. Any wonder you haven't had a period? No way am I going to support you in losing more weight.

For the record, I am 5'6" and small-boned.
    HA if you have read above what I wrote, this is unrelated to my weight. I used to get my period at a much lower weight (108) and then I took some drug that just screwed things up. Not anorexia at all, but thanks for your concern.

That may be, but if you want your period back, losing more weight isn't going to get you there.

It sounds like you are malnourished at the moment, partly due to your digestive issues, I imagine.

I'd highly recommend a nutrient-dense high fat fertility diet along with sorting out your digestive issues for 6-9 months before trying to drop the body fat. Here's a blog post that may be helpful:

http://www.sondrarose.com/optimum-fertility-nutrition

Adding in some weight-lifting to increase your lean body mass will also help, but you will have to give up the idea of weighing 110 lbs.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 03-16-2013 at 05:00 PM.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    That may be, but if you want your period back, losing more weight isn't going to get you there.

It sounds like you are malnourished at the moment, partly due to your digestive issues, I imagine.

I'd highly recommend a nutrient-dense high fat fertility diet along with sorting out your digestive issues for 6-9 months before trying to drop the body fat. Here's a blog post that may be helpful:

Optimum Fertility ~ Nutrition - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind

Adding in some weight-lifting to increase your lean body mass will also help, but you will have to give up the idea of weighing 110 lbs.
    this, seriously think about what youre saying. i was without a period for 8+ years and only recently got it back in November. NUTS=fertility....gorge on

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    this, seriously think about what youre saying. i was without a period for 8+ years and only recently got it back in November. NUTS=fertility....gorge on
    Congrats, Mal! I'm really happy to hear your news!!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I am 5'6 115, would like to get back down to 110, which to me is where I naturally was for years and years. I have always been thin, so please don't just by these numbers. I feel healthiest and look my best at that weight.
    I'm sorry to be so blunt but there is no way someone is "naturally" 110 and 5'6". That is a good 20 lbs under what would be considered fashion model slim. I agree with Dragonfly. This is a case of anorexia and a severely warped body image. I really hope you can (and choose to) get some help with that.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    Hiya, Mal. Haven't seen you around much lately but good to know you are doing well.

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Optimum Fertility ~ Nutrition - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind

This is great, thank you.

I swear to you, I have always been very thin, so please don't push this anorexia body image on me. I have good thoughts on my body (at one point I was very very malnourished due to digestive issues and that is the only time I felt like I had a very skewed view of myself)

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    You may have good thoughts about your body but your stated diet is punishing it. You're not giving it the fuel it needs to support any physical activity. Adding strength training and a healthier diet would be ideal, but I wouldn't suggest weight training unless you were willing to eat more protein. I'm a little horrified at what you must be doing to your bones - aging isn't going to be fun.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    This is great, thank you.

I swear to you, I have always been very thin, so please don't push this anorexia body image on me. I have good thoughts on my body (at one point I was very very malnourished due to digestive issues and that is the only time I felt like I had a very skewed view of myself)
    The fact is at face value the numbers seem to indicate underweight, but that may be simply because you do have a very slender build, without a full close up examination no one here can really know, but it may also be because of low bone density again, we don't know, the point for you to take on board is that even though you may have always been in that weight range, it may not necesarily be ideal for you, if it is your bone density, this could easily add 10lb without any external dimensional changes.
    Slightly related anecdote - I had lived with a number of different little symptoms all my life, never really been sick though, I just assumed these things were a part of "me" and would have argued so, I started my Primal/Paleo journey simply as a bit of health insurance, and gradually some of these symptoms faded away and it took me a while to accept that there was a different me, now I wonder how many more things may change and how long it will be before I can meet the "most complete" me possible, so I remain open to future developements.

All I suggest is to keep an open mind and allow the possibility, don't rely totally on the scales and your preconcieved opinions, use other measures like your performance capabilities, how far can you throw a set weight, how many situps in a minute, how long does it take you to run or walk a set distance etc. etc. if these things improve over time as you go on then that is an indication of improving fitness, sometimes the tape measure and how clothes fit is a better guide than the scales, just some ideas.

We could be here in 3 years and you may be super fit/healthy and still at 110lb or you might be 125lb but still the same dress size, the figure doesn't really matter being healthy is the main goal, don't really matter who's right or wrong.
    Last edited by Omni; 03-17-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast