Thread: Exertion headaches page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Exertion headaches

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Any tricks for preventing exertion headaches. I've been getting horrible exertion headaches lately.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Thats a tough one. Are you sure you have good spinal alignment and are protecting your neck while exercising?

peril is offline Senior Member
    I started getting them too. Good way to put one off sex!

I figured it was because my blood was too thin and I was in danger of a bleed. Stopped the daily aspirin and stopped taking fish oil. Just kept eating lots of oily fish and consuming cocoa, turmeric and red wine. The problem went away immediately
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    I had some problems in the past and fixed them by taking fish oils.

You can look at fish oil benefits and I also explained how much you should take and why.

Give it a try!
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

morsal is offline Junior Member
    I think, first of all you need to explore what are the factors which lead you to such exertion headaches, or what the activity you involve in to get that horrible thing. Then it would be more easy for you to get rid of the problem for good.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    okay, how weird is this - every december i start to get these, and they last through january, and dissipate by february. I HAVE NO CLUE. when they first hit, i actually went to the doctor and got an MRI. i mean, i was freaked out man!

anyway, they make sex and weightlifting really damn unpleasant. i've actually powered through these before for lifting sessions, which is probably not recommended. but for me, they dissipate somewhat after the first 10 minutes, though the whole thing SUCKS.

so i do find that lacrosse ball work on my upper back and at the base of my skull helps. the single greatest thing i can recommend though is to do some neck exercises before starting the lifting session. hold the ends of a towel in each hand, and place it around the back of your head. pull on the towel a bit with your hands so that there's tension on your neck, and then lean your head back and look up to the ceiling, slowly. do this for about 10 reps, maybe twice. i swear, it helps me.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I will try the towel stretches. I've been avoiding fish lately so I will try eating more fish once more and see if that helps, too.

I seem to be okay if I just do regular barbell back squats. I got them really bad trying to do goblet squats and squats holding dumbbells by my ears. It is like a heavy dumbbell is just too hard for me to hold in my hand. But a barbell on my back, even if it's way heavier than a dumbbell, is not an issue. I guess I just won't do any goblet squats ever again.

God, the headaches are awful. They come on suddenly. First time they came on after like the 15th rep or so (I was doing 25 rep sets). Then they started coming on sooner until the other day the first rep and pow. There it is. And they did dissipate a little but they lasted clear until the next day. I've had to take ibuprofen finally.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2