Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with squatting page

JohnOTD is offline Member

Trouble with squatting

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been trying to get my technique right for squatting. I'm to the point where I keep my heel firmly on the floor. The problem is, I tend to put a lot of weight on the inside edge of my feet and it puts a lot of strain on my ankles.

Any advice?
    www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

zibsca is offline Junior Member
    When I first started working on squats I had a similar problem. I found doing this stretch http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...tight-bro.html before helped loads with stabilization.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Yeah squat more. Honestly the only way to truly correct squat form is to keep squatting. Air squats that is.

Eyes forward, chest up, back arched, wrists straight, shoulders tight, feet a little angled out, shoulder-width apart, ect... all of that advice is fine and dandy, but the only way to fix a squat is to squat more!

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    If you are putting pressure on the inside of your foot, it's probably because your legs & knees are collapsing inward, which is due to weakness. Squat with as much as you can while concentrating on keeping your knees and legs from collapsing inward.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Shove your knees out hard.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    2nd lowering the weight...

danny.v.ramos is offline Junior Member
    Pushing the knees out will probably work. Sometimes my clients find it easier when they have something to push against. So try to tie a belt around your knees or put a mini band around them.

This will solve the problem if glute medius weakness is the main problem. Most people who do these also have feet that externaly rotate as they squat. Try this stretch. But instead of bendin over at the spine like the girl is doing just hinge at the hip as much as you can without bending your spine. There is once you move your spine you are not working on hip mobility any more. Which is a good point for all the hip moblity stuff Mark posted on the blog.

Also work on the external rotation on the back leg by streching the spine up as much as posible and trying to take the "sit bone" on the back leg down to the floor.

Hip mobility and core strength work is generaly what is nesesary to fix most squating, deadlifting and lunging issues. Remember the glutes are just as important to core function as the abs.

I could write about this all day. But that should be enough to get you started.

Daniel

danny.v.ramos is offline Junior Member
    Forgot the link to the stretch.

http://www.bodyresults.com/E290-90.asp

Daniel

Danimal is offline Member
    Read Starting Strength.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Read Starting Strength.
    +1

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast