Thread: Coconut oil after workout page

roba2686 is offline Junior Member

Coconut oil after workout

Primal Fuel
    I work out in the morning before going to work and my primary goals are minimizing body fat and maintaining muscle mass (not trying to bulk or anything). I am trying to cut down on my carbohydrate intake and am looking for a little bit of advice regarding coconut oil.

I am considering working out in a fasted state, then eating coconut oil and chicken breast immediately after the workout. My thoughts are that the coconut oil will provide energy for muscle recovery, initiate the body into fat loss mode, and trigger an insulin response to facilitate protein (from the chicken) uptake.

Is my reasoning flawed? What other things should I consider here. I am having a hard time with the whole "coconut oil triggers insulin response" thing. If it triggers insulin response then how is fat burning initiated?

Also, as far as post-workout nutrition, is the idea described above a recipe for disaster? Any feedback or insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by roba2686; 03-15-2013 at 06:40 PM.

UpACreek is offline Member
    Protein alone will cause enough of an insulin response in most people, but that doesn't mean I think the CO is a bad idea. Working out fasted will help trigger fat-burning, but I wouldn't be afraid of throwing a few carbs in there post-workout. I get the impression you're aiming for an intermittent fasting approach - even though you never said that. Remember that with IF, WHEN your feeding window start/stops is far less important than how long it lasts. Most people skip breakfast on IF, but that's because it's much more convenient for a social life to have hours 'available' in the evening. A lot of people also have trouble going to sleep on an emptyish stomach, so a late window works better for them.

I'm going to stop making assumptions now, and wait for you to clarify! :-)

roba2686 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry for taking for a while to respond and thank you for the getting back to me. I am not really trying to do IF because if I were to skip a meal I would skip breakfast (for the reasons you've listed in addition to not trying to sleep on an emp I feel like if I were to wake up, workout fasted, and then not eat for several hours, the results wouldn't be pretty! If that is not accurate, please let me know. I'm always down for trying new things/approaches. I''ve just been under the impression that nutrition after a workout is very important.

Thanks!