Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to get into ketosis fast?!!? page

egyption grok is offline Senior Member

how to get into ketosis fast?!!?

Primal Fuel
    okey iv benn on primal for 6 days now and been keeping my carbs from 30 to 40 grams for 4 days , i did the ketosis strip test but it was negative tips on how to get into it faster and i train pole vault so i think 30g to 40g is not alot bec when i read one thread it stated it should be at 5% of my total calories and that 25g so im guessing up to 30 and 40g is not so much as im training?

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    All of us are different. Urine test strips don't always work; more accurate is the blood kit but also more expensive and you have to prick your finger. Some people go into ketosis at 50 gm/day of carbs, some need to be at 20. When you go into true ketosis, it may take a couple of weeks or longer to adapt and you may see your performance dip for a while. Also ketosis is usually better for endurance sports, less good for high intensity sports like pole vaulting although I don't know a better way to lose weight if that is needed.

See Dr. Peter Attia's blog: eatingacademy.com. Also a couple of books: The Art and Science of Low Carb Living and The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. Volek and Phinney are the authors.

It's not just cutting carbs; there are a lot of other considerations like sodium, the right amount of protein, good fats, lots of things.

Good luck!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Depletion workouts and a few tequila shots post workout...

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    What time are you testing? I've found that it's lowest in the morning. Last night mine was purple, but this morning it's was only light pink (trace). I hadn't eaten anything in between.
    Also, how are you testing? Sorry, if this is gross but you really do need to collect in a cup or go directly on the stick, because the toilet water will dilute the sample.

Burning through your glycogen stores takes time, but depletion workouts can speed it up. I would not recommend alcohol of any kind because alcohol metabolism creates by products that can result in a false positive.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by egyption grok View Post
    okey iv benn on primal for 6 days now and been keeping my carbs from 30 to 40 grams for 4 days , i did the ketosis strip test but it was negative tips on how to get into it faster and i train pole vault so i think 30g to 40g is not alot bec when i read one thread it stated it should be at 5% of my total calories and that 25g so im guessing up to 30 and 40g is not so much as im training?
    You've been primal 6 days and wanna be IF'ing in Ketosis already?

What were you eating before?

Recipe for disaster IMO, you need to relax and let your body catch up to your head.

Vman is offline Junior Member
    Well, the real question is whether you want to smooth yourself into it or not. At your pace, I think you'll get there in a few days. After taking a break from primal, it usually takes me 5 or 6 days to get back to my pre-break weight. Then, it's 3 or 4 days of about staying even and then the weight loss slowly starts.

But if you want to kick yourself into gear, I would do two days of zero carbs, almost pure Atkins. Breakfast, eggs and bacon. Lunch or dinner steak for example. Plus an hour long fairly intense exercise on those days. It might get me there a little sooner, but in my opinion, the discomfort and energy drain is not worth it. But you might want to give it a shot and see how you feel about it.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Haha here we go!
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

thanx guys but how would u suggest i ease into the process?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Like Vman said, using really low carb foods that would be found on Atkin's induction such as eggs, meat and fat. Certain foods will kick me out of ketosis even if I'm staying low carb.

would u plz mention those certain foods ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast