Thread: Where Brooklyn @? (under martial law, as a matter of fact) page

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

Where Brooklyn @? (under martial law, as a matter of fact)

Primal Fuel
    Posted on March 14, 2013 by Gregory Malandrucco

A woman is dragged during a protest against the shooting of Kimani Gray, March 13, 2013 in the East Flatbush neighborhood of the Brooklyn,

New York City. (Photo by AP)

On the heels of three nights of protests over the police slaying of 16 year old Kimani Gray, the NYPD has turned the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn into a State of Exception, claiming emergency powers to suspend the constitutional guarantees of the citizenry.

The people regularly targeted by police harassment and violence, overwhelmingly the city’s poor and minority populations, have taken to the streets to speak out against the NYPD’s draconian tactics. The police have in turn responded with even further harsh measures by suppressing the right of the people to voice dissatisfaction with that very same police force.

Cops kettled protesters at Wednesday night’s candlelight vigil, resulting in 46 arrests. Police even arrested Kimani Gray’s distraught sister, Mahnefeh.

The NYPD euphemistically calls the public spaces in which the Constitutional rights of the people are suspended “frozen zones.”

Allison Kilkenny wrote about the NYPD’s so-called “frozen zones” in December 2011:

“The ‘frozen zone’ is an arbitrary, official police business-sounding title that has absolutely zero legal merit. It’s something the NYPD made up, just as the ‘First Amendment zone’ is something [Los Angeles Mayor Antonio] Villaraigosa made up to suppress media coverage of the Occupy raids.”

According to FIERCE, the “frozen zone” in East Flatbush is being used to prevent media from covering the protests and arrests. Meanwhile, people inside the “frozen zone” can

and...

Brooklyn Under Siege Day 4 - National Human Rights | Examiner.com
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Wow I am kind of in disbelief that I can write a thread title like that and not even be joking. Shit's now, kids. 3rd world, 4th reich. Believe.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

LOL Thank god for Russia...There is nothing on youtube, which I believe indicates that the cops are using jammer technology that breaks off cell-phone signals, like they used in the 08 GOP Convention raids in Minnessota.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    remember in the 2004 primaries (and in numerous political gatherings since) opposing demonstrators were kept IN PENS? like criminals. or animals.

civil rights get chipped away everyday and americans just sit at home eating fiddle-faddle and watching american idol.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Megatron is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The police in New York can be out of control.

There are some wonderful, decent, hardworking men and women but not enough, and I don't think they are trained properly. They easily escalte conflicts rather than work with communities to find solutions.

I know the details about this kid's death are conflicting, but I still feel it is a travesty and very improperly handled, whether the kid was armed or not. The backlash against the protesters has been extreme.

So many protests today I am scared to go out tonight. This is my home and it's turning very violet (or rather, more violent) and the police response is brutal and causing far more problems than it solves.

Keep Brooklyn in your thoughts today.