Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal ~ WillRunForChocolate page

WillRunForChocolate is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal ~ WillRunForChocolate

Shop Now
    Surely this will be of interest to no one but myself, but the mere act of posting my primal journal on such a public forum hopefully will provide the motivation and accountability I need to reach my "primal" goals!

Over the past two years I have lost about 85 pounds eating very closely to the PB guidelines, even though I only discovered MDA several months ago. I am just about at my goal, but I am absolutely terrified of gaining the weight back. I am female, 5'5" and currently about 122 pounds, but was as low as 118 a few weeks ago. Recently I have been letting more and more indulgences slip into my diet and have been fighting cravings and binging behavior. Sigh.

Time to get back on track, so tomorrow begins "day one" of my own personal Primal Blueprint Challenge. I'll post food and exercise daily and I'm excited to begin!

Day 1 Results:

Pretty good day overall. Ate a little more fruit and calories than I would have liked but was trying to curb the sweet cravings. Had absolutely no energy after lunch today and tried to resist the urge to either drink an extra coffee or eat some chocolate to perk me up. Eventually I did "wake up" but will have to come up with strategies to combat the afternoon sleepies.

Breakfast: omelet with ham, mushrooms, green onions and small amount of cheese; coffee
    Lunch: pork chops with gravy, yogurt, and homemade trail mix of almonds, dried pears and raisins
    Dinner: taco salad with lots of veggies and salsa, strawberries with whipped cream
    Snack: coffee with cream, 2 slices bacon

Calories: 1978
    Carbs: 136g
    Protein: 120g
    Fat: 111g

Exercise: Ran 3 miles.

Successes: resisted sampling DH's homemade toffee chip cookies! Sipped on my coffee with cream instead.

Tomorrow's challenge(s): We're having a luncheon at work consisting of chicken and stuffing casserole, homemade mashed potatoes, coleslaw and dessert. I am bringing the (storebought) coleslaw but will just socialize with the group and then eat a primal lunch at my desk. Already packed some cod with lemon, an apple and string cheese so it will be a delicious lunch anyway. Also will have to eat breakfast on the run -- packed a yogurt, banana and 2 strips of bacon to eat in the car.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member
    I love your user name!

Oooohhh, I like your user name even more! A diagnosis of prediabetes two years ago was the wake-up call I needed to finally change my eating habits and to get my butt off the couch. Thankfully my blood sugar levels are totally normal now. Has your primal lifestyle helped to defeat diabetes? It is a horrific disease.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I get the afternoon sleepies too. Somedays I can sleep and am a good 20 minute napper, but most days, it's not an option.

I find that getting a lot more potassium helps (ie far more nonstarchy veggies with breakfast, lunch, snack), protein and severely limiting sugar and dairy (except a little cream in my coffee). Even high protein greek yogurt can make me tired. Regular plain yogurt? zzzzzzzzz too high in carbs

p40 TPB
    "The gathering of berries and other fruit, leafy greens, primitive roots, shoots and other vegetation, nuts and seeds provide the bulk of Grok's food supply." (empasis mine)

p110 TPB
    see food pyramid: based on his writings in the book and online, and the evidence available regarding a primal diet or diet in our environment of evolutionary adaptation, in terms of volume, indicates that significantly more nonstarchy plant matter makes up food intake than does protein or fat....though in terms of percentages protein and fat dominate as they are more calorically dense

p.112 TPB
    "'it may take some acclimation to center your diet around vegetables....snip....Dont follow the example of restaurants that serve skimpy vegetable portions seemingly just for decoration; serve yourself heaping portions that crowd everything else on your plate"

p.111
    "Plant foods..naturally promote a beneficial balance between acidity and alkalinity..inyour bloodstream. Almost all cells prefer a slightly alkaline environment to function properly, but many metabolic processes, including the normal production of cellular energy, result in the release of acidic waste products. The buildup of acidic waste is toxic to your body so ti works very hard at all times to preserve a slightly alkaline environment, measured by the familiar pH levels."

The net result of meat digestion is very acid forming......so yes, looooots of nonstarchy produce: kale, collards, broccoli, salads of many many kinds, tomato, various other veggies etc. They all also make huge dietary donations of potassium which further Grok your diet. Grok's sodium to potassium ratio was probably probably 1 part sodium to 5-16 parts potassium - depending. Modern sodium to potassium ratios tend to run miserably off reverse: 2 parts sodium to 1 or less parts potassium.

Depending on the expert or the research being 'read', we would ingest 4-12 mg potassium per calorie ingested.

For that, we require lots of nonstarchy, low calorie produce...produce produce produce and more of it. vegetable broths are helpful as well as is organ consumption.

my body feels best when i follow Mark's advice and "center my diet around vegetables"
    p.112 TPB
    "'it may take some acclimation to center your diet around vegetables....snip....Dont follow the example of restaurants that serve skimpy vegetable portions seemingly just for decoration; serve yourself heaping portions that crowd everything else on your plate"

here's a variety of links regarding potassium and sodium in an evolutionary environment. Short version: we need much more potassium and we just don't get it.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=sodiu...ient=firefox-a

hey chocolate, unfortunately my diabetes is a genetic flaw and not one that is caused by being overweight or out of shape (I am neither of those). I tried a month off medication but my fasting sugars quickly climbed back into higher ranges so I went back on. My A1c has definitely gone down but I believe it to be a result of the medication. I went from 7 to 5.8 eating non-primal and on medication. A1c has only dropped by .1 in the year since I went primal.

How did your luncheon go?

Cillakat,

Thank you for all the information. I am in the process of re-reading "Primal Blueprint" and need to pay more attention to focusing on the low calorie, nonstarchy veggies -- great advice! I guess have zeroed in on giving up the grains and sugars without picking up on the fact that I should be replacing them with veggies in addition to protein.

I've already packed a big 'ol salad with tons of veggies for tomorrow's lunch but will make an effort to have servings of produce with breakfast and dinner. I appreciate your wisdom!!

DCKMB,

Sorry to hear that diet hasn't affected your blood sugars. That stinks. I am the same way with high blood pressure. My BP skyrocketed after giving birth to my middle son and went on medicine at that point. Losing weight and healthy eating lowered the BP somewhat, but I still need a 1/2 pill daily just to keep it in a healthy range.

Thanks for asking about the luncheon. I dropped off the storebought coleslaw, visited for a bit, and then went to my office and ate my cod and apple with almond butter. Yum! Thankfully I wasn't too tempted by the chicken & stuffing casserole, although the homemade mashed potatoes almost got the better of me, lol.

Day 2 - went fairly well! Stayed pretty true to the primal guidelines all day despite having dinner at my favorite pizza restaurant.

Breakfast - yogurt, bacon, banana, coffee w/cream
    Lunch - cod, apple w/ almond butter, coffee w/cream
    Dinner - huge salad with lots of veggies and a splash of olive oil; cheese and pepperoni off the top of one piece of pizza -- no crust!
    Snack - few spoonfuls of whipped cream, handful of pumpkin seeds, another coffee

Calories: 2085
    Carbs: 111 grams
    Protein: 120 grams
    Fat: 134 grams

Exercise: 45 minute walk, 20 minutes upper body weights, 10 minutes pilates

Tomorrow's challenge: It's DH's birthday and we have a Dairy Queen butterfinger blizzard cake in the freezer. Ugh. I plan to have a big bowl of strawberries with some whipped cream and shaved dark chocolate instead. Already packed tomorrow's lunch with lots of veggies and will focus on having nonstarchy veggies with each meal.

good job at the luncheon today and good luck with the birthday tomorrow! strawberries and whipped cream with chocolate- sounds SO much tastier than a butterfinger blizzard cake !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast