Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nobody's favourite - overgrown zucchini page

Annieh is offline Senior Member

Nobody's favourite - overgrown zucchini

Shop Now
    Well I've been given an overgrown zucchini and I don't want it to go to waste.

None of us are mad keen on them so rather than making a feature of it, I'd rather do something that disguises it (like grating it into a chocolate cake).

What would you suggest?

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Overgrown Zucchini? I grew up in the UK and I can assure you that Zucchini are just immature vegetable Marrows. Cut it into rings and scoop out the mushy centres, stuff the rings with a mix of minced lamb or beef mixed with grated onions, an egg and herbs to your taste.
    Drizzle with bacon fat of fat of your choice and sprinkle with salt and pepper , and even sprinkle with grated cheese if you are into cheese on this diet, otherwise some bacons ribbons.

Bake for half an hour in a hot oven.

The bigger the marrow the more juicy and luscious it will be. Surprised you kiwis aren't into marrows, being often more of the UK tradition than us Aussies.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Split lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, fill with a meat mixture, top with some cheese and bake.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Lots and lots of vegetable "linguine"?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I hide all kinds of veggies in ground beef. Chop it up fine, then mix it into your favorite meat loaf or meatball recipe. I also love zucchini sauteed and included in scrambled eggs with some parmesan sprinkled on top.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Thanks, folks. I ended up stuffing it with leftover mince/kumara bound with egg, sprinkled with cheese and baked in oven with bacon on top. It was a tasty enough lunch and the family ate it without complaint, they must have been hungry.

PS I was offered another one yesterday but I turned it down

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i LOVE zucchini!

shred, salt, squeeze, drain. saute til brown, like hash browns, then add some eggs and herbs to scramble it like a sort of fritatta! great with goat cheese or swiss if you do dairy.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

ooh, thanks, Noodle, I might try that for my breakfast. Zucchini really doesn't do much for me, I just eat it because they are growing in my garden (and in everyone else's garden too, which is why there is such a surplus). I do miss hash browns a little, so this is definitely worth a try.

onewomanband is offline Member
    Some people have had success using zucchini and tahini to make a dip like hummus.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    shred, salt, squeeze, drain. saute til brown, like hash browns, then add some eggs and herbs to scramble it like a sort of fritatta!
    i sorta do this when i do kina. except i fry some onion and garlic with the zucchini. then i scramble up the kina and the eggs separately and serve them over the zucchini. you could prob do this with anything. not just kina and eggs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast