Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shouldn't I be losing fat with this diet? page 3

denisedb is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow!! Thanks to everyone, so much! I've only had a few minutes to read this before taking my kids to school, but great, great advice.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Good luck Denise. I can only echo the other advice given. Increase your actual meals, reduce the snacking. If you must snack, make sure it's good stuff, not processed crap.

It can be SO hard to insert cooking and eating really well into a very busy life, but getting started is the hardest part. Once you get into the swing of it, it will become second nature.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I needed to increase the fat in my meals before I lost the need to snack. Now I do great on two large meals a day.

I'm sure we don't need to tell you that the soda and pastries aren't helping you.

ktgrok is offline Member
    I was eating similarly to you, but with more diet soda. After making some tweaks I realized that for me 80/20 doesn't work. I had to get rid of ALL the sugar, ALL the grains, and ALL the artificial sweeteners, and BINGO, I dropped weight, my appetite took a nose dive, my blood sugar stabilized the point that I almost never have a snack, it was crazy. But I had to do it ALL. Any one of those things and I was still snacky, still needed to eat many times a day, etc. GEtting rid of it all changed my life.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
    I realized that for me 80/20 doesn't work. I had to get rid of ALL the sugar, ALL the grains, and ALL the artificial sweeteners, and BINGO, I dropped weight, my appetite took a nose dive, my blood sugar stabilized the point that I almost never have a snack, it was crazy. But I had to do it ALL.
    That's exactly how it is. I'm not a fan of the 80/20 rule.

The reality is people with a problem need to go 100% and clean up the problem. Once fixed, and you are 100% converted to paleo, then perhaps adding in some cheese or sweet potato around month FOUR. But people who are trying to make a change yet doing 80/20 are just going to make the 20% all carbs/sugar and wonder why it isn't working. Or aim for 80/20 yet hit 60/40. Aim for 100.

I notice a lot of posts on this website from 80/20ers who aren't getting results. I don't think it works.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I notice a lot of posts on this website from 80/20ers who aren't getting results. I don't think it works.
    I agree, and the inflammation from 20% can block weight loss.

Also, I think exercise is important. Give the nutrients something to build- muscle.

I think 20% works when you look at it as an acknowledgement that you can slip up and still be OK, not "20% of your diet can be crap!". That 20% is about a piece of your Grandma's coconut cake once a year is OK and not going to kill, not about eating a small cookie every day. Nothing that would fall in 20% should be a regular part of your diet.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I agree, and the inflammation from 20% can block weight loss.

Also, I think exercise is important. Give the nutrients something to build- muscle.

I think 20% works when you look at it as an acknowledgement that you can slip up and still be OK, not "20% of your diet can be crap!". That 20% is about a piece of your Grandma's coconut cake once a year is OK and not going to kill, not about eating a small cookie every day. Nothing that would fall in 20% should be a regular part of your diet.
    I agree. I see the 20% rule as helping with social situations, not daily.

hilliardjoe is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I see the 20% as being there to not "allow" people to quit PB when they eat a piece a cake and then say "I can't do PB so I'll go back to eating SAD".

I used to be like the OP, I would eat breakfast, then have a mid-morning snack, then lunch, then an afternoon snack, dinner and then a before bed snack. I was getting sick of taking (or buying) so much food at work.

Since going primal in January my work snacking as almost totally disappeared and that is with not having breakfast some days (not going to eat when I'm not hungry when the clock says it's time to eat).

I am one who had to pretty much drop sugar totally out of the diet (even from fruit). Sugar seems to keep me hungry. I may try to re-integrate some fruit after my body has had more time eating primally but for now I avoid it.

And I started exercising after eating this way because my body wants to do something, I am much more fidgety now and just have more energy. Can't wait for the weather to get better so I can get outside and at least walk.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123