Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shouldn't I be losing fat with this diet? page 2

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Also the liquid food will spike your blood sugar no matter what it is made of so better to eat a healthy real food diet than a smoothie.

Carbs of starch and not sugar are always better so the fancy coffee and nosh are not helping and worse may be again spiking your blood sugar and or you may have issues with the grains even if you dont bloat and cramp.

You have kids so eat carbs so they dont wear you out but More animal protein and fats and leafy veggies than anything else.

The whole 30 is a great idea it worked for me.

Good luck
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    12 oz cappuccino breve = 246 cal, 21 g fat, 9 g carb, 6 g protein (if this is from Starbucks)

chocolate croissant = 300 cal, 17 g fat, 34 g carb, 5 g protein (used Starbucks as example)

chocolate scone = 460 cal, 19 g fat, 67 g carb, 7 g protein (ditto Starbucks)

So this snack is giving you roughly 550 - 700 calories, 40 g fat, 44 - 75 g carb, 12 g protein.

If I were you, I'd replace this snack with something clean, like raw nuts and Kerrygold cheese (if you want the fats, which may keep you feeling full/satisfied longer), or a piece of fruit (if you want the healthier sugar/carb alternative), or a hard-boiled egg/cup of plain Greek yogurt (if you want a protein burst - add fresh fruit to the yogurt for a tasty alternative).

I find that if I'm primal/paleo for most of my daily food but the 20% daily comes from grains/highly processed foods, my body clings onto the grain/highly processed foods. Just the way it is for me. Maybe it's that way for you too.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    And mayo has canola oil....Make your own. It's awesome!
    While I don't believe the canola oil is causing you to hold onto fat/calories, there are studies (somewhere; I'm too lazy to find them/link to them) that show that canola and vegetable oil aren't great for overall health. I second the motion of making your own mayo -- I do this using this recipe -- so far, it's come out delicious every time I've made it. (Just made my own catsup two days ago, for the turkey meatball/broccoli carrot mash recipe here on MDA; haven't tried it yet.)

morsal is offline Junior Member
    Of course, and after that another thing which really does matter is your stomach and digestive system. As the things or food you eat might suit your body and digestive system may not to others. And would have different effects for others.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Eat clean and fold all your snacking into 2-3 solid meals with enough protein and fat to ensure satiety.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Read the Primal Blueprint. Your diet isn't quite the Primal Blueprint.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Read the Primal Blueprint. Your diet isn't quite the Primal Blueprint.
    Yeah, plus this.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Many people change the foods they eat and just lose weight. Others find that even if they eat only primal foods they still are able to overconsume total calories and not lose or even gain. You will need to find a way to be mindful so as not to overconsume real food. In the end, calories count.

At this point she's still snacking all the time like a rodent and just kinda eating SAD but with a bit more meat & veg. She should try the PB (that includes the physical activity, sleep, etc) for at least a month and see what happens. She'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    If you eat 3 solid meals and eliminate snacks, you'll gain the time it took to prepare and eat those snacks throughout your day. I always had to eat every 3-4 hours or get belligerent/sick. Now that I'm eating good protein at every meal I can go hours without eating and be fine. Some days I even choose to skip a meal, unheard of to me a year ago.

I hear you on the time with small kids (mine are almost 5 and nearly 3). But they are learning from your habits, so show them eating good, whole foods is important. Your crockpot could be a huge timesaver as well. Most meals you can just dump in 8 hours later have a wonderful meal. Add more eggs to your breakfast, more like 3-4 eggs if you're not including much else with them. What are your kids eating? Include them in the switch to primal eating so you only have to prepare 1 meal at a time and you'll reap the rewards of more even-keeled, happier children in the long run.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast