Thread: carbs 0-50 50-100?! page

goinggrok is offline Senior Member

carbs 0-50 50-100?!

Hi I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer.

So I am back on the wagon after a long battle with CWOE. Been on this so far for 15 days...going for a full 30, with the hopes of seeing some weight loss or inch loss.
    My question is for a great loss they say to eat 0-50 to be in Keto... or 50-100 for successful weight loss.
    So in 30 days am I suppose to stay keto, or can you go 4-6 days of keto and the odd day slip into the 50-100 gr carb side of things?
    Sometimes I make myself confused and read to much into things.

Sorry for such a silly question

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    You're talking about two different things: ketosis (fat adaptation) or weight-loss. You can have weight-loss with and without ketosis, so why make yourself go into ketosis if you don't necessarily want to be fat-adapted.

Ask yourself: do you want to be fat-adapted? If so, go for the ketosis levels of carbs. If not (and you just want to lose weight without being in ketosis), then eat in the 50-100g range.

You are definitely over-complicating this.

Furthermore, on a side note, you seem to be treating this like a quick-fix diet. "...in 30 days am I supposed to stay in ketosis?" What's so significant about 30 days? Are you trying to detox or fit into a little black dress or something? I'm not sure I understand...
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    You're talking about two different things: ketosis (fat adaptation) or weight-loss. You can have weight-loss with and without ketosis, so why make yourself go into ketosis if you don't necessarily want to be fat-adapted.

Ask yourself: do you want to be fat-adapted? If so, go for the ketosis levels of carbs. If not (and you just want to lose weight without being in ketosis), then eat in the 50-100g range.

You are definitely over-complicating this.

Furthermore, on a side note, you seem to be treating this like a quick-fix diet. "...in 30 days am I supposed to stay in ketosis?" What's so significant about 30 days? Are you trying to detox or fit into a little black dress or something? I'm not sure I understand...
    Thanks for your answer. I need to look up fat adaptation, I must have missed something in the book.
    As for the 30 days...Its a mini goal I set so I eat as close to 100% as possible, I did a quick fix last year and did HCG lost 55 lbs. Maintained well with primal using the 80/20 sometimes above or below that. But a holiday of 12 days has set me back gaining 12 lbs which 5 has since come off. I have not used this WOE to lose weight before only to maintain., so I don't know if its possible for me. I would rather do this than endure another round of HCG...It works but it is more taxing on you and your body. So 30 days was just a marker I set to go by. That is all.

Paleobird Guest
    I hope you will one day realize that the reason the HCG protocol works is that it involves starvation level caloric intake. Anybody will lose weight on 500-800 cal/day. There is nothing magical in the injections, pills, drops, of HCG. That is just what enables them to charge you lots of money and paying lots of money is what makes you stick with the plan. When HCG is tested against a placebo in blind trials, there is no difference. None.

Please don't do that to your body again. It can be very damaging to your metabolism.

Also, to pick a nit with Miss Jecka, ketosis=/=fat adaptation. Fat adaptation is the metabolic flexibility to switch back and forth between burning sugar and burning fat. (See Marks's post on The Fat Burning Beast.) Ketosis is reducing the carb level to the point where burning fat is the body's primary mode. Ketosis is not for everyone and it is not necessary to be in ketosis all the time in order to be fat adapted.

Personally, I love ketosis. I live there permanently.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-15-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I hope you will one day realize that the reason the HCG protocol works is that it involves starvation level caloric intake. Anybody will lose weight on 500-800 cal/day. There is nothing magical in the injections, pills, drops, of HCG. That is just what enables them to charge you lots of money and paying lots of money is what makes you stick with the plan. When HCG is tested against a placebo in blind trials, there is no difference. None.

Please don't do that to your body again. It can be very damaging to your metabolism.

Also, to pick a nit with Miss Jecka, ketosis=/=fat adaptation. Fat adaptation is the metabolic flexibility to switch back and forth between burning sugar and burning fat. (See Marks's post on The Fat Burning Beast.) Ketosis is reducing the carb level to the point where burning fat is the body's primary mode. Ketosis is not for everyone and it is not necessary to be in ketosis all the time in order to be fat adapted.

Personally, I love ketosis. I live there permanently.
    Thanks Paleobird I love your insight to many things I read on this website!

As for the HCG, there is something to it. It has taught me to eat the right things, and learn more about my body. I have maintained for over a year now given a 10 lb gain, this is something that I have never accomplished before. It has taken me over 25 years to do what HCG has done for me in less than a year. I am not one of those people who gain 10 lbs and jump back on it cause they can't control their eating habits. I don't believe in using it like a crutch. I have considered doing another round, but I am very connected to primal, I like how I feel, I don't feel like I am on a diet, or deprived. I want to try this WOE and see if I can shed 20 or so lbs. I am ok with the weight I am now. I don't feel like I HAVE to lose it NOW attitude. I am enjoying my new found weight loss and if more is to come, wonderful even if it takes a year My new found attitude to go with my primal eating habits.

But thanks for your insight...
    I was just wondering about the carb intake, if I was to go over 50-100 a day here or there if it would derail any weight loss that may be happening.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by goinggrok View Post
    Thanks Paleobird I love your insight to many things I read on this website!

As for the HCG, there is something to it. It has taught me to eat the right things, and learn more about my body. I have maintained for over a year now given a 10 lb gain, this is something that I have never accomplished before. It has taken me over 25 years to do what HCG has done for me in less than a year. I am not one of those people who gain 10 lbs and jump back on it cause they can't control their eating habits. I don't believe in using it like a crutch. I have considered doing another round, but I am very connected to primal, I like how I feel, I don't feel like I am on a diet, or deprived. I want to try this WOE and see if I can shed 20 or so lbs. I am ok with the weight I am now. I don't feel like I HAVE to lose it NOW attitude. I am enjoying my new found weight loss and if more is to come, wonderful even if it takes a year My new found attitude to go with my primal eating habits.

But thanks for your insight...
    I was just wondering about the carb intake, if I was to go over 50-100 a day here or there if it would derail any weight loss that may be happening.
    First of all, congrats on your success. If the HCG was a learning experience for you, terrific. Learning about real hunger vs mindless eating is a good thing and having the reality soak in (on an emotional, visceral level) that the world will not end because you feel a hunger pang. Yes. Good. But please don't be duped by the woo-sci of the HCG peddlers. You lose weight because you eat minimal rations. Full stop. No magic. It has been tested repeatedly against placebos. It. Just. Doesn't. Work.

I don't deny your results. You did some hard work to get that done. Props to you for that. I'm just saying that you would have gotten the exact same results without any HCG just by doing the dietary regimen.

On the carb question, 50 is generally thought of as the threshold for getting into ketosis but that is very individual. For some people it is 20 for some it's 75. Then there is the question that only you can answer of if ketosis is really where you need or want to be. It is quite possible to lose weight without being in ketosis all the time particularly if you are a Fat Burning Beast as discussed above. Ketosis just accelerates the process for many people. I know that's not a definitive answer but it's the best I can do given that I don't know all your particulars.