Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Crossfit Open page

heatseeker is offline Senior Member

The Crossfit Open

Primal Fuel
    Anyone else participating in this, or doing the workouts even if you're not logging them on the official site?

13.1 was INSANE. I actually did it twice because I was too much in my head the first time, thinking too hard about pacing and stuff. The second time around, I just shut out all strategy, kept moving no matter what, and increased my score by 23 reps. Honestly, I thought the workout was crazy stupid hard, though. Attempting as many as possible VERY heavy snatches after doing 100 burpees and 90 other snatches? That's not just crazy, that's stupid. That's an injury waiting to happen. I'm kinda glad I can't snatch the highest weight and had no way of getting to that level (although there's no way I would have made it within the time limit, either).

Looking forward to 13.2. We do them in our Friday classes, so I'll be hitting it tomorrow. I like short workouts, I like AMRAPs, I like triplets of small sets... the only thing I don't like about it is the box jumps.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I'm in it and logging my results. Having so much fun. We do our workouts on Saturdays at the Box so will be logging it. I'm worried about lifting 75lbs because I've never lifted that weight before. Anyway, we'll see what happens. I hate the box jumps -- always worried about missing the box or falling off it. Have fun Friday!

/lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

BananaLeaf is offline Member
    I'm doing the WODs, but not competing. It's fun and there's such great energy at the box these days!

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Did 13.2 today. I am not registered so I skipped 13.1, snatches and I are not friends! I do them when they come up in WODs but I hate them and 13.1 just looked like pain. 13.2 was good, intense but only 10 min. Quick note on the box jumps- step ups are allowed per official rules. I did step ups because I can do them faster than I can box jumps. My goal going in was 4 complete rounds (120 total reps). I surprised myself and managed 5 full rounds, plus 18 reps, so yay for me! Top people at my box were between 8-9 complete rounds.

Good luck to everyone!

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    165 was my score for 13.2 this morning, I am hurting right now! 52.5kg is a big shoulder to overhead weight for me and I found it very tough.

I can't remember the score, but I overheard the coach saying that a girl in our box had beaten the score set by the second fittest woman in the world, whoever she is!
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Julie Foucher, she took second place at the Games last year. She scored 274 on 13.2, which does seem quite low for her. One of the girls in my class yesterday came within 10 reps of her. Thank god for the Crossfit Games, it is helping to fill the void that football has left

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    My right shoulder is acting up so I'm taking it easy for now. Annie Mist looks good to go though, she'll do us at the box proud.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    TFC tore his ACL on the 3rd -- three days before the Open started - looks like I'm gonna have to wait until next year to win it all
    ad astra per aspera

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    13.2 was so fun. I predicted I'd like it, and I did. Just a really fun, hard, good workout. Basically everyone was stepping up onto the box instead of jumping. You could just go so much faster. And our coaches implored us to step down instead of jumping down, to save our Achilles tendons. That's an example of why I love my box so much. They recognize that high rep box jumps + competitive atmosphere are a recipe for disaster.

I got 230 reps even... was in the midst of the box jumps on the 8th round when time was called. Would have liked to finish out the round, but I was ten box jumps away from finishing and I really don't feel I could have pushed harder or gone faster. You can only go so fast stepping up onto a box--too much coordination involved. I think the place to speed up was the S2OH, because I was push jerking so as not to wear out my shoulders too fast, and it takes a couple seconds longer than a push press.

274 seems way low for Julie Foucher. Maybe she was taking it easy.

All the coaches at my gym gather to do the wod on Friday at 1 in front of a crowd. I was interesting to see the different strategies. Stepping up instead of jumping was DEFINITELY the way to go; the steppers were able to keep a steady fast pace and got higher reps overall, while the jumpers got too tired and took too long. Two female coaches came within five reps of Annie Thorisdottir's score. Amazing! I think, all in all, we're going to see a larger volume of high scores than last week, because last week was so dependent on if you could snatch the weight or not. I bet there will be pages and pages of +300 this week, like last week there were like a thousand people (including me) stuck at 150 (the point at which the snatch got too heavy). Getting even one of those heavy snatches immediately bumped your ranking up by hundreds.

I liked this one about 5000% better than 13.1. I like when all the moves are at least doable, and the competition comes down to speed and endurance. I was annoyed last week that it would have been physically impossible for me to complete the workout even if I could have gone fast enough. We had people at our gym who got to the second level of snatches within 5 minutes and then couldn't snatch the weight and had to just sit out the rest of the workout. It's demoralizing.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I wonder if you were to apply a periodization and recovery strategy to Crossfit, as athletes do in other sports, if you would get superior results. Crossfit athletes who are competing would benefit tremendously from standard periodization of 3 weeks of building intensity and a 4th week of active recovery. Also the 3 days on and 1 day off training schedule is okay if you are working different muscle groups but will set you up for injury if you are not allowing sufficient rest and recovery by working the same muscles day in and day out.
    Last edited by canuck416; 03-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast