Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change in taste for meat? page

Catalina is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I've been doing PB for about a month, and where I used to eat red meat maybe once or twice a month, I find that I'm craving it now. In fact, when I think about chicken breast or turkey breast meat, I think, "eh, blah." Did this happen to anyone else? Is it a passing phase? I know I don't want to give up the more bland meats, and I'm sure Grok ate birds too!

Tarlach is offline Member

I find poultry boring now also. I don't think chicken has enough fat or nutrients in it.

It's not a passing phase, but I'm quite happy to just eat red meat most of the time...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Try chicken legs...

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I used to far prefer dark meat over white, much more flavorful.

But now that I've been on weight loss PB and cook a giant turkey breast every couple of weeks, I like it a lot. Maybe it's my slow cooking routine, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-turkey-breast or something. I'm shunning the dark until my weight is where I want it, trying to keep a high protein/fat ratio as possible.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I put about 3 pounds of chicken legs in the crockpot with veggies and seasoning yesterday and it was very good.

I'm with you though... I perfer red meat now...

Mick Guest

A lot of chicken *is* very bland.

Make sure it's free range, preferably organic, chicken that's been able to stretch its legs and peck up a few insects.

Off topic, but come to think of it, if you were really eating as a pre-industrial revolution person would, you'd probably eat insects yourself. :-)

Hunter-gatherers certainly look out particular insects and many farming people do, too, and even if you don't deliberately, you really need ultra-modern processing conditions to keep insects out of food. This is why strict vegetarian Hindus don't die any sooner than they do -- they have one of the shortest lifespans on the planet as it is -- because they unwittingly eat insects.

Back on topic -- go for really good chicken and any other poultry you can get, including game birds.

Long cooked chicken soup is really good, too. Almost all people in traditional societies eat slowly simmered bone broths very regularly. They're easily digested, ward of infection (as the Jews famously say), and are fantastically good for your own bones. You can use a whole bird -- feet and all, if you can get it -- or joints with the bones in. You put it in a stockpot with water and a spoon or two of organic vinegar and some flavouring vegetables, leave for half and hour, then bring it to the boil, skim of any scum, cover it, turn the heat right down and simmer it for hours. You can then take the meat out and use it, and you also have the stock which you can strain and use "as is" or in recipes.

Funny, I was just thinking this same thing. Today, I am down to left over chicken and pulled pork. While both were excellently cooked primally by my loving husband, they were nothing in comparison to last week's 'Beef-fest' ;-)

Kryz is offline Junior Member

I've always loved red meat and dark/fatty poultry (chicken legs and duck, yum!) so it's hard for me to say if my cravings for those have grown, but in general I want protein more. When it does come to light poultry, slow cooking methods like braising and roasting are the best.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Im the opposite! Well, its summer now so Ive cut down on the meat simply becasue I dont want it. Im into all the fresh and wonderful veg & fruit at the moment. I try to supplement fats with oils and fish and avocadoes and protein with whey... hopefully that is enough!

BUT, I will say, before PB I NEVER craved steak. Now, I do have a good craving every few weeks.

In fact, In going to order one from my source now.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@Mick

Your post was offensive. Why are you so angry with Hindu Vegetarians. Did they do something bad to you?

Strict vegetarian Hindus, are very careful of getting their insects out of their meal. Even if inadvertently some would creep in, it would still be too low to make any effect. The reason why they still used to live long was because of the huge quantities of Ghee/butter/milk they used to consume. My friend's grand-father a strict vegetarian lived upto 94 years. He was lucky he got good ghee in his time.

Please don't confuse vegetarians with vegans. Vegetarians can get a decent (not optimal but decent) diet, if they are careful, without supplements.

Unfortunately, now everybody is using refined oil (which is much cheaper) instead of ghee/butter, and sugar (which is cheap now) consumption has gone way up.

Also the ghee/butter is mostly sterile now, its no longer the pastured one as in the good old days.

I agree that vegetarians have a very bad diet these days. But that is no different than the average American diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast