Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Menapausal stuff......... HOT flashes!!! page

tomi is offline Senior Member

Menapausal stuff......... HOT flashes!!!

Shop Now
    Hey - sorry guys, if there is any reading - which I'm not quite sure why you're reading - but whatever

GIRLS! I need help! I've been suffering with hot flashes and night sweats for 2 years now! I need to find a natural, healthy way to turn down the waterworks! I will wake up 8 times a night feeling like I've been under the broiler and in a puddle of sweat! (for some weird reason my husband thinks its sexy, so at least I'm not grossing HIM out - but it sure grosses ME out!)

Anybody have any suggestions for an herb or anything? ANYTHING except HRT - I don't want to go that route.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin E, d-alpha tocopherol. Start with 1000 IUs once a day, increase until the hot flashes disappear. I used it for years until they stopped.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Trial & error are key, since different things work for different women. Check out this book for some really helpful suggestions:

The Wisdom of Menopause: Christiane Northrup: 9780553380804: Amazon.com: Books

And here's a blog post I wrote that may be helpful...

Nutrition for a Juicy Menopause - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind

My n=1 is no hot flashes so far at age 50 and all my perimenopausal symptoms are gone since I focused on a highly nutrient-dense Primal diet.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya, sista, on the multiple nightly hot flashes. I had them all day, too.

Bio-identical progesterone cream was what worked for me. At long last. I tried a variety of other stuff, but in the end, it was the cream that helped me out. I would never do estrogen due to an immediate family history of breast cancer, but the progesterone allows me to have a normal life.

Good luck trying stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Vitamin E, d-alpha tocopherol. Start with 1000 IUs once a day, increase until the hot flashes disappear. I used it for years until they stopped.
    excellent! I already take 400 IU a day - I'll increase to 800 IU until the bottle is gone (which it nearly is) then try to find 500 or 1000 IU.

Thanks!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Trial & error are key, since different things work for different women. Check out this book for some really helpful suggestions:

The Wisdom of Menopause: Christiane Northrup: 9780553380804: Amazon.com: Books

And here's a blog post I wrote that may be helpful...

Nutrition for a Juicy Menopause - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind

My n=1 is no hot flashes so far at age 50 and all my perimenopausal symptoms are gone since I focused on a highly nutrient-dense Primal diet.
    Thanks - I'll check it out! I didn't have any hotflashes until I was one year post periods. Then they hit me hard! Going primal helped curb the daytime hot flashes - but the night sweats are almost unbarable!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I hear ya, sista, on the multiple nightly hot flashes. I had them all day, too.

Bio-identical progesterone cream was what worked for me. At long last. I tried a variety of other stuff, but in the end, it was the cream that helped me out. I would never do estrogen due to an immediate family history of breast cancer, but the progesterone allows me to have a normal life.

Good luck trying stuff out.
    I've been resisting the hormone for 2 years - but I think I'm about to break! First I'll try the Vit. E and see what happens. I'll give it a month - if no changes, then I'm on to plan B. The hormones will be a last resort. I'm creeping up on 53 and praying this phase is nearly over!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Black cohosh (NOT blue cohosh). Works for about half of menopausal women.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I also am on bi-identical progesterone. There is a lot of good protective things in progesterone only. Particularly if you are very estrogen dominant. Having too high estrogen in relation to progesterone can be bad. I would suggest a saliva test to determine where you are.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    I have friends who swear by acupuncture!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast