Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Menapausal stuff......... HOT flashes!!! page 3

Rueben is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Sounds good, the progesterone worked straight away for me, but you do it cyclically, two weeks on, two off. When I came off the flashes came back, maybe I just need to build up in my system.

Before my doc. put me on progesterone he wanted me to try Chaste tree extract. 20 drops twice a day, but I found it totally unpalatable.
    I have found a great doctor who knows what he is talking about. I am on bio identical progesterone and estrogen, dhea and testosterone. I actually feel normal again and I would encourage you to read about it.

I went through menopause at 42-44 and I would hate to think what my bones would have been like in 10 yeard without progesterone. Actually i do, because my older sister has been diagnosed with thinning bones at 55! Her doctor has given her calcium tablets and she does not want to hear about progesterone, magnesium zinc, vitamin d etc. But I will not end up like her.

I am being protected from breast cancer because I have the right amount of the three different estrogens balanced with everything else.

Most of the studies on hrt were done with synthetic hormones. No drug company is going to fund a trial on substances they can't make any money out of. Bio identical hormones can't be patented and are not dangerous for us because our bodies used to make them.

Do your research and be informed so you aren't afraid by media reports and doctors who don't know what they are talking about.

There is a place for hrt. Just the right sort. A goid starting point to read is Suzanne somers book. "Ageless"

There are women all over the world on anti depressants but guess what the first symptom is of low hormone levels? I think it's negligent of doctors to ignore this topic. ..

tomi is online now Senior Member
    thanks, Rueben, for that perspective. I've been going through this for 2 years and haven't experienced any mood fluctuations - so I'm very thankful for that! I hold to the idea that our bodies where designed to go through this season of life just they are and don't want to "add" something back in that has naturally stopped being produced. Thats why I don't want to do the bio-identical hormones. I don't fear any side effects, I just feel its not natural to feed my body something that it has phased out of making. I'm okay with the aging process as it is naturally designed - although getting old, wrinkly and feable isn't a thrilling idea - it is the natural order of things.

But --- all that being said, I will do some research and see what the bio stuff is all about. At this point - if it gave me back my libido I would probably do it! At least as long as my husband is still raring to go! At 53 he isn't even beginning to slow down as far as desire goes. Performance wise - he isn't quite what he used to be. I've encouraged him to talk to the doc about testosterone tests. The REALLY frustrating part is that we just got all the kids grown and moved - at the same time my libido tanked! UGH! This not the plans we had for these years of freedom.!!!! We got married at 40 - with 3 kids between us. We were looking forward to having the "honeymoon" period after the kids were out of the house.

Someone up thread mentioned black kohosh helped her libido so I'm going to try that ............... going to the store today!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    peri-menopause was hellacious for me, just about 2 years ago. mood-swings and bleeding so heavily some days i was afraid to leave the house. weight gain, body shape reconfiguring. ugh. my dr. suggested a mirena and that made my life 9 months of slowly increasing hell.

so i share your concerns about introducing hormones that are naturally dissipating. some women do need them and benefit, especially with certain conditions and early on-set.

however, i started taking the dong (heh) about 2 weeks after having the mirena removed. i was already feeling improved, but this was a real game-changer. and yeah, my sex drive, which had always been high (pre-mirena, which killed it) has returned to that of 16-year-old boy, lol.

b/f is very happy about that.

i am 49 and it has been 6 months without tom. i am truly hoping to be done with it all.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Noodletoy - so you're saying the Dong Quai boosted your libido that much! I'm going to go to the store!!!!!! I SOOOO miss that part of me! I used to have a very "healthy" sex drive. then one day I woke up and it was GONE. I'm serious, it seemed like over night I went from wanting it several times a week - to "didn't we just do this last month?" UGH!

I'm taking it! doc says not more than 40 mg a day. Signing off MDA now so I can go shopping.............
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

lol, YES, that much of a boost. it's more "normal" now, but i rarely don't want it.

and i read that much larger doses are fine, compared to what your doc is recommending. have been taking 1500 mg a day. since last august.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

I was a bit confused about the supplements. Doc said 40 mg of Black Cohosh for the night sweats but I ended up buying 540 mg capsules. She said there is a potential for liver damage at higher doses. And the bottle says to take 3 a day! Sheesh! I'll stick with one a day. I started taking them yesterday. The night sweats didn't seem so intense last night - I think I only had 2 mild ones. I'm also taking Evening Primrose 1500 mg per day. As for the Dong Quai - 565 mg x3 per day. And I'm waiting for the effects of that to kick in!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

i know they all have their place, but if taking all 3 at once how will you know what makes what happen or not? just curious, not judging...

it took about 2 weeks to really feel the difference from "the dong." (heh.)

Ernest Hemingway

Funny -- when I told hubby the name of the supplement that "may" help my libido --- he made the same joke! He said "they must call it "dong" for some reason!"

I guess I don't really care if its the Evening Primrose or the Black Cohosh that makes the hot flashes/night sweats go away - as long as they go away! I've been dealing with them for far too long! I guess I could eliminate which ever one runs out first and see how I do on just the other? But for now -- doubling up seems like a good way to go!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

yup, the b/f takes no end of delight telling everybody i "am on the dong"!

Ernest Hemingway

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Before my doc. put me on progesterone he wanted me to try Chaste tree extract. 20 drops twice a day, but I found it totally unpalatable.
    I'm not peri/menopausal, but I have taken Vitex (also known as chasteberry) capsules for low progesterone. It helped with my sex drive. It's not a direct supplement of progesterone, it just makes your body produce more. You can get it in capsule form, then you don't taste anything .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast