Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Menapausal stuff......... HOT flashes!!! page 2

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I concur with Marthat, I use progesterone cream and it's working for me. The cream also stopped my excessive bleeding. It's very gentle on your system, no side effects. From what I've read most women are estrogen dominant and are lacking progesterone, so the cream helps to balance your hormones.

DavidGomes is offline Junior Member

hot flashes and night sweats

Hi,
    Well I don't know much about on this topic. However, here you can see the discussion is going on by those women who is suffering from the same problem of hot flashes and night sweats Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience - Viewers Share Their Medical Experiences on MedicineNet
    you can contact them and ask them personally how they recover, what are treatments they are having, or either you talk to your doctor for better recommendation

marthat is offline Senior Member
    According to my understanding, progesterone is considered the "mother hormone", as the body can make the other sex hormones from a base of progesterone. Interestingly, I am the opposite of you girls who are estrogen dominant. I am severely estrogen-deficient, which is the main situation that leads to hot flashes, as well as vaginal dryness. And the bio-identical progesterone has helped immensely in my situation too.

There are several different ways that the body enters menopause based on the presence and balance of the sex hormones estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. And symptoms vary depending on what's going on. Interesting stuff and very helpful to figure out what is happening in your own body. Worth reading.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    OP, you're a stronger woman than I! It took a mere two months of waking up dripping in sweat, then freezing afterward to go the HRT route. Lowest dose possible. Six months. Done.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    vlc and dong quai = zero hot flashes. i had a nightmare experience with a mirena iud for peri-menopause, so feel uncomfortable supplementing with hormones now.

i know other women who have done very well with bio-identical creams though.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 03-15-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I saw my doc today for a routine thyroid check so I asked her about the hot flashes and night sweats. She gave me a sample of progesterone cream. Said if there wasn't an improvement in about 2 weeks then it probably isn't going to work for me. Next step is a saliva test as someone mentioned up thread.

She also suggested there was very good results with chinese medicine and acupuncture. I'm going to try that before any other western medicine. need to check with my insurance to see if they pay for acupuncture - I've always wanted to try it. I've heard it can be beneficial for weight loss as well.

She also suggested Dong Qui and Black Cohosh. I'll be trying one thing at a time until I've exhausted all but natural progesterone. I'm not going further than that. Its terribly uncomfortable - but nothing I can't tough through until its over.

Thanks so much for all your input! I'll report back with my experience in a couple weeks
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i started the dong quai after removing the mirena. it works great for me, and has also improved my hair, nails and sex drive.

i do have a friend who swears by acupuncture too, but my insurance wouldn't cover any of that.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    2 weeks doesn't seem very long to try something that affects hormone balance. More on the 3-6 months scale is my personal experience.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    well, doc said with this cream to give it 2 weeks and I don't feel any difference at all then it probably won't work.

If the dong quai is good for sex drive......... I'M IN!!!! mine died with my month cycle! I miss it
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good, the progesterone worked straight away for me, but you do it cyclically, two weeks on, two off. When I came off the flashes came back, maybe I just need to build up in my system.

Before my doc. put me on progesterone he wanted me to try Chaste tree extract. 20 drops twice a day, but I found it totally unpalatable.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast