Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can I eat chicken skin almost everyday? page 4

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You just gotta be Derpamix to understand. I used a soda stream to add carbonation to my milk once, I was amazed at how fast one could throw up.

In the name of science!
    Some of your posts make me face palm, then with posts like these, you redeem yourself.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Since it's sometimes recommended to specifically avoid the fat from factory animals, I would think that you might be better off purchasing skinless boneless thigh (still pretty inexpensive) and supplementing those with healthy fat.

I once lived near a store that sold factory turkeys year round for about 88c/pound. I would cook one up per month and freeze most of the cooked product in single serving portions. One time just because, I weighed the skin, carcass, and anything I deemed inedible that was left. I can't remember the exact percentage of waste, but I remember that it brought the price of the turkey up to boneless, skinless chicken thighs with a whole lot more work. Went back to the boneless skinless chicken thighs. IOW the price per pound can be misleading because it includes some inedible product.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

krsn89 is offline Member
    I think your diet looks a LOT better than an average student's diet, so you shouldn't worry TOO much! I am also on a tight budget, so I understand. I do agree with the suggestions to try some ground beef and some canned fish sources. I think canned food is fine as long as you read the ingredients and there aren't any bad oils/odd ingredients in there. I actually love sardines, so I eat them about 2-3 times a week because they're so easy to cook and dirt cheap. I also don't mind canned salmon and tuna either. I follow a more PHD (Perfect Health Diet) style diet lately so I do eat white rice/white potatoes/sweet potatos/bananas which are all fairly cheap.

morsal is offline Junior Member
    It think there is no prob in chicken everyday of the week, if your stomach really do except it. But that would always be nice to have a variety in your eating so that your body could get the necessary vitamins, proteins and minerals in different foods.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Potaaaaaaatooooooes.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfoxy View Post
    Stew meat and ground beef are cheaper than chicken thighs where I am... but chicken thighs are certainly the cheapest of chicken parts, and that's what went into my huge pot of chicken soup yesterday. I buy O3 fortified eggs - is that an option? They are more expensive though, hubby freaks out on me if he's there for the shopping, which is why I don't take him anymore :-)
    Here stew meat costs $2.99 a pound, chicken thighs with skin and bones .99, boneless 1.99, all sale prices.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Since it's sometimes recommended to specifically avoid the fat from factory animals, I would think that you might be better off purchasing skinless boneless thigh (still pretty inexpensive) and supplementing those with healthy fat.

I once lived near a store that sold factory turkeys year round for about 88c/pound. I would cook one up per month and freeze most of the cooked product in single serving portions. One time just because, I weighed the skin, carcass, and anything I deemed inedible that was left. I can't remember the exact percentage of waste, but I remember that it brought the price of the turkey up to boneless, skinless chicken thighs with a whole lot more work. Went back to the boneless skinless chicken thighs. IOW the price per pound can be misleading because it includes some inedible product.
    however, then you could be missing nutrition from the bones and good stuff for joints from all the rest of the "inedibles". Buying boneless-skinless and adding in a fat misses out on all of that. I now prefer to buy meat that has some bones in it, and as much skin on and other "inedible" parts if possible too, as I prefer to cook in the crockpot, and then eat some broth with the meat and freeze the rest for other uses. Skin cooked in a crockpot ends up with a gross texture so I discard it after cooking and don't eat it directly, but it is putting a lot of collagen/gelatin into the broth so I can still get some good from it.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Here stew meat costs $2.99 a pound, chicken thighs with skin and bones .99, boneless 1.99, all sale prices.
    same. To me it's better to get some skin and bones for extra nutrition, even if I have to throw them out after cooking, they will still add good stuff to the meat and broth, so it's worth it to me to use those and avoid skinless-boneless.

In fact I can also buy what is marked as "pork fat" for $1.99/lb or less, but depending on the individual package it can still be half or more of meat; recently got a package and it was actually mostly meat (2 x 2 cup servings of just meat) and rendered down to not all that much fat (1/3 cup of fat or less total). I get more fat off of a 1.25 lb package of bacon - at least 1/2 cup usually.

PS I too am operating on a basically starving student budget, so I cannot afford to avoid "factory" animals. I like to think of broth that gels as my own "budget" glucosamine-chondroitin supplement !

ktgrok is offline Member
    My concern is that eating exactly the same thing day in and day out can lead to some deficiencies. Also..is there protein in that salad? Add a can of chicken or tuna or salmon, or hard boiled eggs, or at least some bacon.

As for the dinners, I'd say spend the money to have something other than chicken at least twice a week. Cheapest is probably pork "butt". It's very fatty, but yummy as shredded "pulled pork". Great to top a salad with. You can cook it all up in a crock pot, then freeze it in individual portions in freezer bags. If you freeze them flat they will thaw quickly too. If you can't afford a big one ask them to cut one in half for you, they will. Same with beef, sometimes ground is cheapest, but often I can find little cheap steaks for the same price or less. A package of 3-4 of them would be about $3.00. They are not quality steaks, but good enough fried in a skillet quickly, and would give you some variety. Ask around too, maybe on facebook, and see if there are good deals on meat in your area, you might be surprised.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    For now while I'm saving money? Milk, ripe bananas, gelatin, 16oz cottage cheese, potatoes with honey, oysters, coffee, sugar, coconut oil, bakers chocolate, juiced watermelon and rice. Once a week I'll eat beef liver.

I spend 60 dollars every 2 weeks which equals out to a little over 4 dollars a day

I make my own ice cream too using coffee, bananas and milk.
    Can you share your ice cream recipe please? We buy an organic ice cream from a local source and add in bananas all the time. I would love to make my own.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

tzulogic is offline Member
    Eggs are good, but there are much better ways of eating on a budget than that diet. My average food bill is 4 dollars a day.
    My god. You need to post your grocery bill. I'm going way over. Course, I'm still learning how to shop again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast