Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: article: this man thinks he never needs to eat food again page

chicitycory is offline Junior Member

article: this man thinks he never needs to eat food again

Primal Fuel

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It's called nutritionism, the idea that real food could be replaced by a list of chemicals with no lost in healthfulness.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Another powder diet? - I didn't care to read everything, - yep, people have tried that before and died from doing all-powder diets...

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I'm wondering how it could possibly taste good, as he claims it does. It sounds repulsive. Olive Oil and Fish Oil with a bunch of powders mixed in? Blergh. I'm not going to argue with the man's science, but I seriously question the tastiness. And it takes me back to the slop people ate when they were pulled out of the Matrix. :P

Zach is offline Banned
    Lol, so instead of the headache of cooking delicious food, he now has the headache of mixing up a huge concoction or random powders. How is that easier?

I think its the dumbest idea ever. The further humans get away from whole foods, the sicker we will be as a species. Mixing together random amounts of vitamins, minerals, EAA's, EFA's and whatever else is in no way close to what you get from whole foods.

The dudes health will tank at some point i would wager. Its also scary to think if the government starts replacing foods with more nutrition shakes.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Well he's got a good point here:

"I don't think we need fruits and veggies, though – we need vitamins and minerals. We need carbs, not bread. Amino acids, not milk. It's still fine to eat these whenever you want, but not everyone can afford them or has the desire to eat them. Food should be optimised and personalised."

It's the same idea as "what works for you might not work for me". Figure out what works for you, whether that's physically or mentally, or both, and do it. I don't think his plan would work well for anyone who wants to be particularly active though, as it's not just a matter of "eat more of general nutritional needs" to support an active body and gain muscle.

I wonder if he has lost any unneeded body fat and what the macros are like in the mix.

[edit] There's a link to his site at the bottom of the article & the macros are 200g carbs, 50g protein, 65g fat and he speaks positively about fat.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 03-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

otzi Guest
    I'll tell ya, though, if they started marketing 'People Chow' it would fly off the shelves. They could have weightloss versions, muscle-building versions, old people, young people, sick people versions... All it would have to be is crunchy, flavorful and cheap. Wouldn't it be awesome to just buy 50 pounds of People Chow for like a month?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I read his main site just a few hours ago actually. He does say he "eats socially" after a month on his "Soylent" mixture.

I think he's misguided, in thinking this is something that could save the world, seems to have a good heart, I guess. Good if it works for him and others like him that dislike preparing food and eating it.. but it will never catch on, ever.

Also, not pooping sounds incredibly unnatural.... you know, if you're able to get past not eating solid foods as being the natural order of things.

I also disagree that "we don't need milk, we need amino acids" ... sure, but we need to get those from food, that's what nature intended.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I see how he feels that it can help people, but I sincerely disagree that having to buy/gather/cook/prepare food is an inconvenience. It's about as much of an inconvenience as sleeping.

Cook meals in advance, freeze them, and heat them up as necessary. About the same level of effort as mixing together powders every day. You could even get work done while they're heating -- I do this all the time.

I also have to wonder if this guy has ever had real, high-quality food. He might change his mind if he did.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    I see how he feels that it can help people, but I sincerely disagree that having to buy/gather/cook/prepare food is an inconvenience. It's about as much of an inconvenience as sleeping.

Cook meals in advance, freeze them, and heat them up as necessary. About the same level of effort as mixing together powders every day. You could even get work done while they're heating -- I do this all the time.

I also have to wonder if this guy has ever had real, high-quality food. He might change his mind if he did.
    Yeah, most of my meals are ready in less than a half hour.

In his main article, he said something like "imagine if families didn't have to go through the ordeal of making food and eating it and blah blah" and I'm reading it like... that sounds horrible! what would families do instead? talk while sipping soylent? is that any different really? He also argued we've done women a great disservice by making them cooks, or something to that extent.

I'm all for fasting though. Seems like a lot of his feel goodness is coming from that and not from his powder diet. It'll be something to keep an eye on, but I won't be impressed after a few months. People have fasted on less for much longer.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast