Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only Going at it Half-way?

Hybrid View

Only Going at it Half-way?

So obviously, being able to commit fully and go 100% (or 80%, as is allowed around here) primal/paleo would be the ultimate goal. But, it does take dedication, committment, and a bit more time, planning, inconvenience, etc. I don't mean to debate the merits of this way of eating/living, but to say that it does take a bit of effort to get there.

That said, over the last 9 months or so I've made a pretty good effort at almost completely eliminating processed, fake foods and eating more meat, vegatables, healthy fat, etc. Problem is the convenience thing gets in the way sometimes and it's just easier to eat a sandwich. Or some sushi with rice. Or use some kind of salad dressing other than o&v.

So my question is...is there any harm to be done by not committing to this 100% (80%)? If I eat the fatty, grass fed steak and vegatables for dinner all week, but have a hamburger and pizza on the weekends, am I somehow compounding the negative effects. Or, am I making good headway by simply trying to eliminate as much "bad" stuff as I can? Is all the extra fat, cholesterol, etc. that we now understand to not be so bad somehow made bad by the inclusion of some grain, soy, etc.?

Make sense?

Even Mark says to aim for 80:20.

Provided you're reasonably conscientious I think it's more important to chill and enjoy life than stress about having the perfect diet.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Even Mark says to aim for 80:20.
    Actually not. Not trying to find quote, but it was something like: aim for 100% and most likely in real life you will reach 80%

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    Actually not. Not trying to find quote, but it was something like: aim for 100% and most likely in real life you will reach 80%
    Ah okay. In that case:

Even Mark says 80:20 is fine
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Ah okay. In that case:

Even Mark says 80:20 is fine
    I see what you did there.

You've been doing it for 9 months. You tell us.

Also, let us know how 50% goes when you are in your 40s and 50s. Maybe that's all you need.

Oh, and try it 100% and see if there's any difference.

Basically, you have to find out for yourself.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Lots of people eat sushi. But bread products, if you never give them up you can never know if they're causing you problems.

Wheat does indeed correlate with obesity and heart disease in the China study data. Saturated fat does not.

do the math. if you eat 20 meals a week and 16 of them are primal, then there is your 80/20.

the less crap you eat, the more you realize that it doesn't taste good and that it makes you feel lousy.

eat the sushi because rice is fine. eat the occasional pizza. i know i do. if your goal is to lose 100lbs or you have a serious gluten issue, then you might want to steer clear of the wheat. if, like me, you only get some joint stiffness from eating wheat occasionally, maybe its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    if, like me, you only get some joint stiffness from eating wheat occasionally, maybe its worth it.
    It is highly unlikely that the only symptom of gluten intolerance your body is experiencing is the one you are consciously aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It is highly unlikely that the only symptom of gluten intolerance your body is experiencing is the one you are consciously aware of.
    And it's highly unlikely that a diet based on "healthy" whole grains isn't/wasn't doing a ton more damage than an occasional plate of pancakes, slice of pizza, or 6-pack of craft beer.

I've found that my personal tolerance for the negative effects of gluten-containing grains is drinking beer once per year on a camping trip I've attended since I was a teenager.

Some people are willing to give it up completely. Others give it up, except for when they're out with friends, traveling, or just on that odd occasion when they really want a pepperoni pizza.

We all are responsible for educating ourselves and making our own choices.