Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only Going at it Half-way? page

KB29 is offline Junior Member

Only Going at it Half-way?

Primal Fuel
    So obviously, being able to commit fully and go 100% (or 80%, as is allowed around here) primal/paleo would be the ultimate goal. But, it does take dedication, committment, and a bit more time, planning, inconvenience, etc. I don't mean to debate the merits of this way of eating/living, but to say that it does take a bit of effort to get there.

That said, over the last 9 months or so I've made a pretty good effort at almost completely eliminating processed, fake foods and eating more meat, vegatables, healthy fat, etc. Problem is the convenience thing gets in the way sometimes and it's just easier to eat a sandwich. Or some sushi with rice. Or use some kind of salad dressing other than o&v.

So my question is...is there any harm to be done by not committing to this 100% (80%)? If I eat the fatty, grass fed steak and vegatables for dinner all week, but have a hamburger and pizza on the weekends, am I somehow compounding the negative effects. Or, am I making good headway by simply trying to eliminate as much "bad" stuff as I can? Is all the extra fat, cholesterol, etc. that we now understand to not be so bad somehow made bad by the inclusion of some grain, soy, etc.?

Make sense?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Even Mark says to aim for 80:20.

Provided you're reasonably conscientious I think it's more important to chill and enjoy life than stress about having the perfect diet.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You've been doing it for 9 months. You tell us.

Also, let us know how 50% goes when you are in your 40s and 50s. Maybe that's all you need.

Oh, and try it 100% and see if there's any difference.

Basically, you have to find out for yourself.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Lots of people eat sushi. But bread products, if you never give them up you can never know if they're causing you problems.

Wheat does indeed correlate with obesity and heart disease in the China study data. Saturated fat does not.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    do the math. if you eat 20 meals a week and 16 of them are primal, then there is your 80/20.

the less crap you eat, the more you realize that it doesn't taste good and that it makes you feel lousy.

eat the sushi because rice is fine. eat the occasional pizza. i know i do. if your goal is to lose 100lbs or you have a serious gluten issue, then you might want to steer clear of the wheat. if, like me, you only get some joint stiffness from eating wheat occasionally, maybe its worth it.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The person that doesn't smoke is healthier than the person that smokes one cig a week, the one cig a week smoker is healthier than the one cig a day smoker, who is healthier than the several a day smoker... and so on.

You're limiting your exposure to bad things most often than not, so what if you're not perfect.

I am on/off with my "percentages" I have 90/10 weeks, 80/20 weeks and some ugly 60/40 weeks. I don't really let it bother me. I don't feel downright unhealthy when I "stray" to be honest. I guess I'm lucky in that regard.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Even Mark says to aim for 80:20.
    Actually not. Not trying to find quote, but it was something like: aim for 100% and most likely in real life you will reach 80%

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think cutting out processed foods is probably the most important part of eating in general.

If you're going to eat bread or pasta, I would try to use products that have as few ingredients as possible, and no HFCS bread (I don't know if HFCS has been snuck into pasta yet). If you're eating out, you're at the mercy of their ingredients, so just have a good time and enjoy.

As a note, though, some of the best accomplishments are inconvenient.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    I think its way more important to look at any plan where you can eat healthier on a long term basis. Do this in any sustainable way that works for you and your lifestyle. If you have to force anything you may eventually stall.
    I guess what i'm tying to say is don't treat it as a short term diet ( they all fail) look at it as a long term sustainable life style change that you feel comfortable with. Only you know what works for you

To answer the question, logically I can't see a problem with your idea, but have no evidence its good or bad either way.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    if, like me, you only get some joint stiffness from eating wheat occasionally, maybe its worth it.
    It is highly unlikely that the only symptom of gluten intolerance your body is experiencing is the one you are consciously aware of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast