Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Americans are in Better Shape than Europeans (in some ways) page 3

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Gym owners will ban you if they catch you using it, but some people I've chatted with in the states, well they reckon that up to 70-80% of the regulars of their gyms openly use 'roids.
    No where near 70%...maybe 5% tops.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Well, we can go back forth about whether the people were wearing long sleeves or not and so on and on. I'm just saying that I noticed it.. I wasn't dreaming or making stuff up. I'm just seeing if other people have noticed the same thing.

I think that most people on this blog will agree that unless its the middle of winter, you can tell the difference between someone pumping serious iron and someone who is skinny from just riding their bicycle and walking. I don't think I'm suggesting something here which requires so much debate.
    This thread is supremely stupid on so many levels.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have never been to Europe, but a lot of Europeans come to where I live and go hiking with me. I can't recall any that were ripped or had that meat-head appearance. That doesn't mean there aren't any in Europe or that I can generalize about Europeans, but it would not surprise me that fewer people over there are clamoring to look like Arnold. I would say in the US we do a lot more extreme sports than they do in many other parts of the world, except for New Zealand. I think lifting really heavy weights is considered somewhat of an extreme sport by most people.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Arnold? Hmmm, I wonder where he came from...

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I get what you're saying - but the one and only time I've been to the states I was actually quite shocked by the number of extremely overweight people I saw. I wasn't seeing too many healthy, muscular people on the streets.

I live in Scotland which has a terrible record for unhealthy people, but I see plenty people who look like they look after themselves. And there are always plenty of guys (mostly guys, but women too) in the gym.

Maybe it's the cooler weather - means we tend to cover up more. It's pretty hard to tell if there's muscle or blubber under a down jacket :-)

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Some people have really sandy vaginas here. He's just making an observation, stop freaking out.

Canadian here, lived in France for a while, and I've noticed the same thing as the thread starter. The average French girls looked hotter because none of them were fat, yet touching them was weird because they had no muscle mass. Guys were the same. None were buff. From what I've seen, it was a combination of smoking, not eating much, and a weird relationship with fitness.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    You may be equating visibly muscular with health...and that's not always true. I've hiked in Europe and I'll tell ya, many of those "scrawny" 80-90 year olds can easily beat me on the trail. You would have to look at overall health, not just what we "see."
    Agree. Many people in Europe and Asia are in good health and have a normal BMI (meaning they appear thin by American standards). They don't do crazy stuff like deadliest 500lb or wacky extreme workout programs, but that doesn't mean they aren't strong and in good health.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Some people have really sandy vaginas here. He's just making an observation, stop freaking out.

Canadian here, lived in France for a while, and I've noticed the same thing as the thread starter. The average French girls looked hotter because none of them were fat, yet touching them was weird because they had no muscle mass. Guys were the same. None were buff. From what I've seen, it was a combination of smoking, not eating much, and a weird relationship with fitness.
    Odd. I spent some time on the French countryside, and while I get what you're talking about I certainly don't think it was the norm there - people had decent muscle. Not because they went to the gym (there probably wasn't even one in that village) but because they actually worked out as part of their jobs. Very few had jobs that were totally stationary, and people walked to places as a general rule.

I wonder if this is something that could apply to cities, though? Or if it's just some sort of beauty ideal down in them souths.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    People are strong enough and healthy and don't necessarily look ripped.

One fun thing I really liked from my visit to Barcelona was that some guys were monkeying around on the kid's playground monkey bars and doing gymnastic-related stuff.

In general, I think Europeans, even those in the older crowd, are able to walk several miles a day without getting winded or feel the need to eat to earn back energy. They can bend over with reasonable loads. I think that's a good indicator of overall health and being in decent shape.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I understand what the OP means.

I'm from Europe, but I lived in California for a few months. When I first arrived I had culture shock at how much more buff the men were.

I have a lot of male friends and I don't think a single one of them goes to the gym - they play sports and cycle from A to B. I think in the States you guys drive to the gym
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast