Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Americans are in Better Shape than Europeans (in some ways) page 2

  1. #11
    Reindeer's Avatar
    Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    257
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    Wait a second. Private gym owners blood test their regular customers for roids and turn them into your govt if they come up positive?
    Most gyms doesn't do it, because they have to pay for the tests. But sometimes this happens. I know of a gym that knowingly allowed steroids, and even before the clients got arrested by the cops, the gym lost customers due to the rumors. Steroids are looked down upon a lot more here than in the states and if it's present at the gym, chances are that people will consider a different place, because this makes the gym seem irresponsible and not very serious at all. Usually the clients will simply get suspended, and have the right to refuse a blood test unless the police is involved. If they do refuse it, though, the owner can ban them from the gym.

    The cops, however, have the right to pick people and do blood tests, if they have reason to suspect illegal substances. If the tests come out positive, you'd risk fines or even jail time.

  2. #12
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    Wait a second. Private gym owners blood test their regular customers for roids and turn them into your govt if they come up positive?
    Yeah, is that for real? If so, that is some serious big brother shit right there. I would object. Not because I use steriods, but just on the principle of having to submit to blood testing to use a gym.

  3. #13
    Reindeer's Avatar
    Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Yeah, is that for real? If so, that is some serious big brother shit right there. I would object. Not because I use steriods, but just on the principle of having to submit to blood testing to use a gym.
    As I said, I'm fairly sure you don't have to as long as the police is not involved. However, the substances ARE illegal, and if you refuse the blood tests - and there is reason to believe you really are on the stuff - you could get suspended depending on your contract, yes.

  4. #14
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    On my trip to Europe last summer, I noticed something peculiar when walking down the street: there were almost no really fit and muscled people anywhere. Sure, there were plenty of skinny and scrawny people everywhere, but rarely did I see a person walking down the street with some serious muscles.
    What does "some serious muscles" mean here - "steroid monkeys"? Oh yeah, you have them in Europe also, but in general I think the Europeans carry much less fat over their muscles, and will appear "scrawny" in normal clothes. A typical big muscled up North American gymrat at the weight of 240 and body fat around 18-20% that diet down to below 200 lbs. and 8 % of bodyfat will also appear much smaller in normal clothing’s….

  5. #15
    Vman's Avatar
    Vman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What does "some serious muscles" mean here - "steroid monkeys"? Oh yeah, you have them in Europe also, but in general I think the Europeans carry much less fat over their muscles, and will appear "scrawny" in normal clothes. A typical big muscled up North American gymrat at the weight of 240 and body fat around 18-20% that diet down to below 200 lbs. and 8 % of bodyfat will also appear much smaller in normal clothing’s….
    Take for example someone like Mark Sisson himself. Not total meathead muscles but to the point that you can take one look at him and say, "Man that guy works out". I get your point but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who are good shape and have some muscle.

  6. #16
    Mr. Anthony's Avatar
    Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,243
    I agree that every time I've been in England/Europe I notice fewer people who look like they seriously lift. I'm really good at noticing serious lifters. I don't mean the steroid monkeys--it's just easy to tell when someone has a real commitment to moving some really heavy iron around. Anyway, there are fewer of them than I see in the US. Also, when I went to school in the UK it was hard to find a good gym to work out at for the months I was there.

    I get what the OP was saying.

  7. #17
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Take for example someone like Mark Sisson himself. Not total meathead muscles but to the point that you can take one look at him and say, "Man that guy works out". I get your point but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who are good shape and have some muscle.
    I believe that if you meet Mark Sisson walking in the streets in normal clothings he will appear lean or skinny as most people in Europe, so your observations from Euorope must be from places where people are using less clothes, like they usually are doing in places like Southern California or Miami?

  8. #18
    Reindeer's Avatar
    Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Take for example someone like Mark Sisson himself. Not total meathead muscles but to the point that you can take one look at him and say, "Man that guy works out". I get your point but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who are good shape and have some muscle.
    Provide a picture of what the heck you are talking about. About 40% of the males in my class alone look like what I now imagine you're referring to. Where did you go in Europe exactly? I'm starting to think you must've hang out in the frat boy clubs or the tourist beaches or something.

    Mark Sisson is an interesting case because - just like the dudes in the 300 movie - he put himself through some pretty vigorious dietary torture to achieve that physique. Namely his endurance years. It does stuff to your physique that most people will not achieve or even try to approach because calculating how many calories you need a day when you work out heavily, then eat just enough to meet the bare minimum while still getting the right amount of protein and micronutrients needed to build muscle... well, let's just say it's not something I'mma try out anytime soon.

  9. #19
    Ceebe's Avatar
    Ceebe is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    9
    Hm, think you are right. I don't see lots of guys toned like Mark. It's considered a bit extreme overhere (Holland). Also we eat lots of grains. We dutch bike a lot untill we reach the age of going to work and buy a car. But this is of course very generally speaking. Btw, obesity is becoming a big issue over here especially since lot of children are becoming obese. Government tries to rule, but not very successfully yet. Ironically, a semi gouvernmental programma for children trying to educate them about food was promoted by a guy (former gp) who had like 40 pounds overweight himself, haha. He lost some weight now, but stil... stupid. Which countries did you visit?

  10. #20
    Vman's Avatar
    Vman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I believe that if you meet Mark Sisson walking in the streets in normal clothings he will appear lean or skinny as most people in Europe, so your observations from Euorope must be from places where people are using less clothes, like they usually are doing in places like Southern California or Miami?
    Well, we can go back forth about whether the people were wearing long sleeves or not and so on and on. I'm just saying that I noticed it.. I wasn't dreaming or making stuff up. I'm just seeing if other people have noticed the same thing.

    I think that most people on this blog will agree that unless its the middle of winter, you can tell the difference between someone pumping serious iron and someone who is skinny from just riding their bicycle and walking. I don't think I'm suggesting something here which requires so much debate.
    Last edited by Vman; 03-14-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •