Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constant need to graze page

nickybfwb is offline Junior Member

Constant need to graze

Primal Fuel
    I did some cursory searching around before posting this and most don't seem to fit me. feel free to drop links though if you know posts/articles that do fit.

I have been working on sticking to Primal for a little over a month now and I have having fantastic results. The only thing is I seem to have this constant desire to eat. Pretty much anything; I am satisfied, no hunger pangs or emptiness feelings, yet I want to continue eating. It isn't cravings for specific things, which I get from time to time as my body tells me I am missing something, and it can even be right after a meal.

Anyone else have experience with this or even a way to help stop it? It is somewhat frustrating because I want to eat everything I brought in on sitting.

Nick

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Eat bigger meals. Make sure you are getting enough protein, and don't avoid fat.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Can we get a bit more context? Why do you want to eat less? Are you still trying to lose weight?

I'll assume this is the case, and offer up some advice.

First, like eKatherine said above, eat huge meals with lots of protein and fat.

But an additional thing you can is to create a new mindset. Tell yourself that you will ONLY eat meals, absolutely no snacks. Don't allow yourself to snack on anything at all. The only time you eat is when you've prepared a full meal for yourself.

Anytime you get the urge to grab a snack, make a tally in a small notebook. This will help you to become aware of your urges, and eventually defeat them
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

nickybfwb is offline Junior Member
    Sorry I knew I was forgetting some stuff. I am still looking to lose weight and I haven't been thinking the meals are small. Normal the larger sized ziplock plastic containers full. I don't eat till I feel full but I do eat to be satisfied.

I have been eating protein and I haven't avoided fat. Actually I think that is something of a guilty pleasure there, I can throw out the conventional wisdom and eat it like I like. I guess I should ask for some portion ideas. I am normally not afraid to have a bit of food and I have considered maybe I am skimping some of the proteins. So balancing it out more might be important.

As for when I have been snacking it has been fruits, bananas, apples, oranges, along with some almonds primarily.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=nickybfwb;1125938

Actually I think that is something of a guilty pleasure there, I can throw out the conventional wisdom and eat it like I like. [/QUOTE]

This. I agree with the other posters re larger meals, etc. But I know that, for me, that first burst of being able to eat in health and not guilt was so refreshing that I wanted to absorb/enjoy it. I don't know if was healing my body deprived of nutrients on CW (probably), or if it was being able to enjoy food without worry (absolutely), or whether it was to 'test' whether or not it really DOES work (absolutely). Enjoy your guilty pleasure until you don't need to assuage the guilt any more...

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If you're looking to lose weight, I'd suggest eliminating the fruit. It's pure sugar, and it's probably stimulating your appetite to eat more, as sugar generally does.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    If you're looking to lose weight, I'd suggest eliminating the fruit. It's pure sugar, and it's probably stimulating your appetite to eat more, as sugar generally does.
    While there are some nutrients in fruit as well, a good "No snacking ever" rule might work for you. The sugar isn't helping, and especially not in between meals.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You sound like me when I'm PMSing.

Seriously, just drop the food. Walk away. Make it an absolute rule to only eat meals, not snacks. Try intermittent fasting. Eat once or twice a day, sit down and mindfully eat. No grabbing anything in between and on the go.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Omni is offline Senior Member
    We had that when we started, not hungry, just sort of not satisfied.

As neither of us was really all that concerned about weight too much, we just snacked on nuts and small bits of fruit, just as
    I was starting to get a bit concerned end of month 2 that we would end up as housebound blimps, and then the snacking just started to drift away, 4 months in we were all good. I am still noticing subtle changes, my hunger responses are quite mild now days and if I had to could skip meals quite easily, am basically doing 20/4 IF with the occassional 44/4 fast.

I think a large part of it at the start is sugar habits your body may have amongst other thing we may not be aware of, you could do the strict thing and force yourself to only eat at meals, or snack like we did, don't think your final result will be much different.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One thing that helps me (and works on my 7 yo as well!) is when you find yourself feeling like munching on something is tell yourself: Sure, have a boiled egg (no salt). If the answer is: Oh, YES!, then you are hungry and should eat (I usually start with a boiled egg). If it is just the oral fixation, I go for radishes/cabbage or chew gum or suck a sugar free candy. Artificial sweeteners are horrible, but work better for me than low cal veggies because they give me an extended chewing period and no bloating. Water or tea do not work. I bought cinnamon bark (not sticks), and plan to try chewing that after I run out of gum.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast