Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Constant need to graze page 3

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i was vlc before finding primal, so had gotten the fruit-monkey off my back. but if you're still feeling that nibble-nibble-want thing all day, i'd put down the berries for awhile. are you sure that canadian bacon is sugar-free?

have a nice big protein breakfast. big. like 4-5 eggs, scrambled with the veg of your choice, plenty of butter. some water, coffee or tea to drink. stay plenty hydrated all day. then see how you feel after a few days of that.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Yana is offline Junior Member
    This is my first post, so hello everyone. I've been Primal for two weeks (no cheating) and reading this forum for as long. Thought I'd share my experience on conquering hunger spells. But first I want to set the context for my situation.

I am coming in on the weight maintenance stage. I lost about 8lb recently on a calorie restrictive SAD "healthy" diet that left me constantly hungry. I am a 44 year old female, 5'6" tall, current weight 127lb. My activity level I'd say is above average - short (30 minutes) intense workouts 6 times a week plus brisk walks for about 4 hours per week.

When I switched to PB my daily calorie intake increased by 300-700 from what it was before, resulting in 1500-1900 per day, but I still was as hungry between the meals as I used to be when I was eating 1200 on my diet. I actually found that drinking water between meals was a big factor contributing to my hunger. I used to drink over 64oz a day, both during and between meals. When I switched to PB I realized that if I continue drinking water after my meals, I would be hungry half hour after a meal, regardless of how much food I had. I found that if I drink most of my water during the meals I don't get hungry in between. I still drink the same amount, just not between meals. That helped a lot. Maybe it'll work for you too.

Not trying to invalidate any advice to stay hydrated during the day, just mentioning that doing otherwise solved the problem for me. Hope I didn't overstep any newbie bounds by giving advice while being so new to PB myself. This forum was a huge help to me in the last two weeks, so I want to thank everyone here for their contribution with either questions I wished to ask myself or the response to them.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    And a warm welcome to you,

Don't stress about giving advice, but be prepared to hear opposing views, here they come.

You have upped your calories in Primal, that's good, sounds like you were pretty low I would suggest a large party of the hunger thing is blood sugar dips, I found that a small handful of nuts would soothe them and over time they just faded away, I fast all day now, just eat dinner.

Drinking water with your meals may not be such a good idea, it is better to get hydrated at least one hour before the meal and then let your body add fluid required for digestion. The reason is if you drink with meals this will reduce the concentration of acid (HCl) in your stomach, which will result in incomplete breakdown of fats & proteins, which then may lead to lower intestinal problems as they were not designed to be exposed to complex proteins and fat molecules. For the same reason fluid consumption should also be restricted to atleast one hour after meals, if you are thirsty by al means have a drink, but take note to drink a bit more before you eat next time.

Good luck with the changeover, nearly everyone has the little vague hunger/craving stages initially, know that it's ok, bear through it or have a small snack, it will fade over time, eat well, live well, relax and have fun, it's not a "Diet" it's a lifestyle and hence shouldn't be too regimented.

Omni, thank you for suggestion and information on the influence of the times one drinks water on digestion. I think it will be pretty easy to shift most of my water consumption to before the meals instead of during. I definitely drink when I am thirsty and snack on macadamias or sardines when I absolutely need to. The hunger spells were challenging, but I am doing much better now after two weeks on PB - trying a step towards IF today not eating my first meal until I had to about noon and then the second and last for the day meal about 5 hours later. The main challenge, not as easy to conquer, is changing my mindset. That is a work in progress. I am having fun with PB, though, and intend to stay on this path.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    ....The main challenge, not as easy to conquer, is changing my mindset. That is a work in progress. I am having fun with PB, though, and intend to stay on this path.
    Great point to highlight for everyone,
    Mind set, your it is as much a conditioning and behavioural change as much as it is a dietary change, it is a work in progress you will tweak, tune and develop what works best for you, and what works best now is not necesarily going to be the same as what works best for you in 3 years time, learn to listen to your body and move with it don't try to force it.

Having fun is a vital part of the experience, if you get too anal and desperate for perfection, you'll come crashing down, perfection is a preconcieved mental mindset, your body has a different view.

If you remain relaxed through the process, soon you forget about the concept of a path, it just becomes who you are.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    The hunger spells were challenging, but I am doing much better now after two weeks on PB - trying a step towards IF today not eating my first meal until I had to about noon and then the second and last for the day meal about 5 hours later. The main challenge, not as easy to conquer, is changing my mindset. That is a work in progress. I am having fun with PB, though, and intend to stay on this path.
    no need to rush into if'ing. it's not mandatory for this and just coming off very low-cal may be harder than you think. two weeks of truly feeding your body, after however many months of starving it, is not all that much healing time. add that on top of 40+ years of eating sad, and your body needs patience.

if you're still struggling with hunger and thirst cues, i'd personally hold off on the if and give your body some breathing room. it also seems women who eat vlc have better success with if'ing, so don't know how your macros look. i've been eating that way 3+ years so fasting often comes about without me really planning it. now it's "normal" to eat just once or twice per day.

above all, be patient. good luck and keep us posted.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

The IF (not in full form) after two weeks on BP is recommended by Mark's 21 Day Total Body Transformation at exactly the place where I currently am. I also mentioned that my hunger spells are now pretty much gone, and I've never had any problems with thirst. I actually felt great doing this, and it was a good practice of listening to my body. No rushing here, felt very much as the right time to do it.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Snack on butter. That kills my hunger quick.
    Yep, the best diet food on earth is... butter. Oh the irony.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

nickybfwb is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So since I asked the question and confirmed what I had been suspecting I have upped my protein intake. It has been good I don't feel the need to graze though now it is waiting till I am hungry to eat which has always been an issue for me. I like my food and I am a damn good cook. Otherwise I feel pretty good. I have always done minor levels of IFing even before doing PB, normally part of the day if not all day having one meal at night, which is the result of not bringing food with me to work and then not being able to get away to eat. So I think I am going to ease in every now and again with trying a real IF.

I did want to say thanks to everyone giving all the advice. I am slowly working my way over to PB though there are some challenges to switching, namely my wife has some issues with vegetables and doesn't want to give up carbs, so there are always some temptations.

I can be thankful that I have never really cared for anything sweeter than fruit for the most part and as such not eating sweets has been easy. Not eating pizza on the other hand hasn't been so easy.

Nick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123