Thread: Paleo Kitten page

iYummy is offline Junior Member

Paleo Kitten

Shop Now
    animal-shelter-gallery.jpg

Tomorrow afternoon we're picking up our kitten, Rosey, who we just adopted from the local animal shelter. She's 10 weeks old and absolutely gorgeous.
    I plan to feed her an all paleo diet of raw meats (I will transition her over a week or two by mixing it in with some canned food). I just finished dicing up some lamb hearts, lamb kidneys and a beef liver. I also purchased a bag of chicken necks so I can give her one or two each week to gnaw on. I'll mix in a raw egg a couple of times a week too. Does the above mix sound okay, or should I add some none organ meats into the mix? I'm worried all those organ meats could be a little bit too rich for her.

I had to laugh at my Mother's horrified reaction when I told her we plan on feeding our new kitten only raw meats. She argued that cats need kibble / dry biscuits and that they can't live on raw meat alone - it must at least be cooked! Luckily she realised how silly she sounded and had a laugh when I asked her how often she sees wild cats sitting around the fire, cooking meat and grinding up grains to make biscuits

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Im not sure on cats but for dogs we generally recommend around 10% offal. the rest meat & meaty bones (basically duplicating the proportions they would get in the wild)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    What About Cats?
    some good info & links to other raw food (cat) sites
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    What About Cats?
    some good info & links to other raw food (cat) sites
    Thank you heaps! Luckily I have a whole freezer full of other meats to add to the mix so I'll dice up some lamb, chicken and pork too, and then next time I'm at the shop I'll grab some beef and rabbit.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    make sure that you also practice primal imprisonment of the animal, and don't ever let it outside! lol
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    make sure that you also practice primal imprisonment of the animal, and don't ever let it outside! lol
    Haha of course.. I will be sure to keep her in a tiny cage most of the day too - isn't that how their ancestors lived???? No need for sunlight or grass!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    and definitely remove her claws to save your couch.

good on you for adopting a critter.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    and definitely remove her claws to save your couch.

good on you for adopting a critter.
    Oh of course!