Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you calculate Lean Body Mass (LBM)? page

Classic is offline Senior Member

How do you calculate Lean Body Mass (LBM)?

Shop Now
    Can anyone tell me how where a site is that will help me calculate my LBM? I know I found a site in The Primal Blueprint but I loaned out my copy.
    Thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    This one worked pretty well for me: http://www.easycalculation.com/health/body-fat.php
    Once you have your BF%, the math is pretty easy to calculate LBM. If I can do it, you can, too

tooround is offline Senior Member
    That one sounds reasonable. 25.29% with 96 lbs LBM???

Thanks kuno1chi!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Thanks kuno1chi. I will have a look at that one.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    You're most welcome

jedward2 is offline Senior Member
    Ok I did the easy calculation.com for LBM. Is 15% decent?

Venna is offline Member

Question Calculating BMR and Total Daily Calorie intake?

I'm confused. I'm still reading the Primal Blueprint and in the chapter discussing fat loss and trying to figure out what my daily averages would be and they seem outlandishly high in the fat arena. I believe I'm not calculating something correctly because using the numbers shown for Ken Korg (his size and weight more closely match mine then Kelly's even though I'm female) my daily calorie intake calculates at much higher then his.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but as I understand how it's explained in the book, the height, weight and age are considered. I used the Harris Benedict formula on bmi-calculator.net and it said my BMR is 1684 based on the before mentioned statistics (female, 39, 203 lbs, 5'10"). Now is where it gets confusing for me: The book says for moderate activity level, times BMR by .55 and the web site says to times it by 1.55. Really different totals between those two calculations. The book also directs to add BMR calories to activity level calories which just really get up there for me, way above the recommendations for Ken. I found another web site and used it and it seemed a little more realistic at 2307 total calories for activity level but still seems WAY too high after adding the 1684 BMR, particularly for wanting to aggressively lose fat by limiting my carb intake to below 100 grams per day (really I'd like to keep it at about 75 grams).

My LBM is 155 lbs which puts me at consuming 109 grams of protein. Based on the calculations for the activity level and BMR that is calories per day from fat at just over 2300 to well over 2600 per day! Am I really expected to consume that much fat or are the calculators automatically adding in the BMR to the total calories which would not require me to do that adding?

I'm not very good at math (I failed algebra twice in high school) so it wouldn't surprise me if I am miscalculating something or misunderstanding how the calculations work together. I'm still trying to eat primal, but without knowing exactly what I should be eating, I'm worried about creating deficits where I shouldn't and over doing things in other areas.

I would really prefer just a straight, step by step approach (this times that = that; add that to this and this is what you go by) rather then grandiose explanations. Obviously I do worry about not eating enough fat, but 2300 calories of fat per day really seems outrageous for anyone. How could anyone be expected to consume that much in one day? Please help!

V~
    Last edited by Venna; 06-16-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Nolene is No lean is offline Junior Member
    Venna, the 1 in the factor makes it include the number you are multiplying by. So if you multiply your BMR by .55 then you have to add you BMR to that, but if you multiply by 1.55 you do not
    1634 x .55 = 898.7 + 1634 = 2532.7
    1634 x 1.55 = 2532.7

Now my math question! How do you get from the grams you need to how many calories that represents?

FlamingAndromeda is offline Senior Member
    There are four calories in a gram of carb and protein...and nine in a gram of fat...hope that helps

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    This one worked pretty well for me: http://www.easycalculation.com/health/body-fat.php
    Once you have your BF%, the math is pretty easy to calculate LBM. If I can do it, you can, too
    I tried this with my current stats it gave me *a number*% (fairly accurate since all other calculations put me between 25-27%). I put in **much different numbers** and the results changed little to none. See below for much better resources as far as online calculators based on measurements go.
    Last edited by Meg-a-Tron; 08-22-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: I give up trying to explain my point.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast