Thread: Long Distance Hiking page

Duke is offline Junior Member

Cool Long Distance Hiking

Shop Now
    Hey all,

I'm heading out on a 24 day, 700 mile hike starting here in a week or so, once my Finals are over and was curious about what I should eat.

What kind of foods would Primal peoples back in the day eat during long treks or migrations? And, more importantly what would be some PRACTICAL Primal foods I can bring? I obviously can't drag a dead deer behind me on the Appalachian Trail.

I'll be fastpacking, averaging around 30 mi/day so the lighter the better. The only thing I can think of is tons of nuts and possibly fruit/nut bars like Larabar. Any other ideas?

And as for footwear, people of long ago used to travel in sandals and barefoot on these types of treks, way before the invention of hiking boots. I've been training in Tevas and Chaco Sandals, and have done several 30 mile hikes in them over the past month with no blisters or any adverse effects. Is it ludicrous to think I can do this hike in them? Or should I just stick to the hiking shoes?

Anyone here done any long, Primal hikes?

Thanks!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    First thing that comes to mind for me is jerky/pemmican. Never did a long hike like this, but I've been wanting to. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Oh yeah, I forgot about Jerky. I guess I could hit up Costco to get more for the money though 'cuz that stuff ain't cheap.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Jerky is great, so is pemmican. Don't get suckered by someone trying to push a fruit roll up off on you. That is not pemmican. It is an easy thing to make. Basically, it is just jerked meat, some raisons or berries, and often some sugar,pounded and then mixed with fat. I even had some with crushed nuts. What I mean is that it contained hickory nuts, not that it was a medial condition.

"I even had some with crushed nuts. What I mean is that it contained hickory nuts, not that it was a medial condition"

Haha, I didn't get it at first. Now I do

I actually didn't know that pemmican was different. I always thought it was just jerky b/c of that jerky company named "Pemmican." I'm going to google some recipes. It sounds like a good opportunity to make some interesting flavors so I don't get flavor fatigue.

Thanks!