Thread: Struggling to keep my calorie intake up page

maba is offline Senior Member

As I've posted on my primal journal thread, I'm 5'0", weigh 115 lbs with about 25% BF. I would like to get my BF to 20% but I'm in no hurry. I want to do this healthily and slowly and also get adapted to the primal style of eating and fitness. I was primal for about 2-3 weeks before I went non-primal for a month and am back at it for the last one week. My problem is I'm unable to get my calorie intake to be higher than 1300 odd calories. I was told this is too low and I must not go below 1500. I get easily satiated and these days I feel so uninspired with the food. I find myself shoving food into my mouth and chewing and not really relishing it. I want to make this a lifestyle change and not a one-time thing to fit into a size 0 dress and I want to make sure I'm doing it right and enjoying the process along the way.

1. How do I increase my calorie intake?

2. What do you do keep your food varied and interesting?

3. Is it ok for me to skip a meal (IF) if I feel tired of the food and how to make up for the calorie-deficit?

4. I would really like to start on my primal fitness routine. Right now, I go for walks, do some squats and some bicep curls with my 5lb dumbbells (not primal, I know). Link to a good site or a beginner-fitness program would be much appreciated.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Wow, a "problem" I wished I had! As very skinny in my youth, and darned thin until my forties, my body got used to eating everything in sight at will. Then older age and changing metabolism crept in.

Anyway, my thinking is along the lines of your fat/protein/carb ratio. I'm running 60-65, 25-ish, balance carbs and I'm losing weight very well, thank you. Several others here that have weight loss as their primary goal have reported similar.

maba is offline Senior Member

OTB, take a look at my journal when you get a chance, my fat %age is above 60% for the most part. I must confess that I haven't been paying to the protein component so much, but I've been eating decent amount of it at each meal.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm not one for reading the journals. Just my choice.

Good on you for the fat intake. Watch the protein, of course. Base that on your ideal weight, adjust up or down for activity.