Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant + medical issues: please help page 3

LisaLS is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I haven't read through the thread, but you do NOT NOT NOT want to try to control hypothryoidism on your own. You NEED the meds to help with it. Your thyroid levels are going to fluctuate while you are pregnant so you need a steady source of the right dosage of meds to keep it under control.

As for the gestational diabetes. Exercising will def help, and keeping the carb intake controlled will be beneficial. I'm not sure if it will keep you from developing it though.
    I had GD with my pregnancy and honestly, it wasn't a big deal. I just followed primal eating after finding out, checked my blood sugar 4x a day (as they want you to) and other than my morning fasting number (had to take something for that), I controlled my blood sugar levels throughout the day through diet.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Aloe View Post
    Hi again,

Today I went to the doctor. He said I'm already diabetic (gestational) with a fasting glucose of 119. As many CW doctors, he wants me to eat 50% of my calories in carbs = 210 grs of carbs, and that should control my blood glucose levels
    I have to track my sugar levels while fasting (first thing in the morning), and after every main meal. He wants me to have a fasting glucose of 60-90 mg/dcl, and a post-meal reading of 90-120. If the 210 grams of sugar don't fix my glucose, then he wants to start me on medicine.

My plan is to eat low carb, but aiming to stay between these numbers. He warned me against ketones, since they might harm the baby. I tend to believe ketones are safe, but if I understand correctly, the baby does need available sugar.

So, I guess my question is: will keeping my sugar in these "safe ranges" help have enough sugar in my blood, should my baby need it?

Also, the doctor wants me to lose a lot of weight. He said I should be eating 1750 cals a day, and lose 2 pounds a week. Is it just me, or this sounds extreme?

ETA: Still can't see the endo. I'll do everything I can to see him/her next week at the latest.
    WTF?? Why is your doctor telling you to lose weight while you are pregnant?? You should not be dieting while pregnant!!!
    Eat HEALTHY, and if weight loss happens, then it happens, but you should not be looking to try to lose weight during a pregnancy, geezus.

210c is so much. They told me I could have 200c a day. I kept my carb intake around 50 or so. Never over 100 most of the time and my pregnancy went great.
    My fasting number in the morning couldn't be controlled so I had to take glyburide(?) for it, but other than that, everything was good.
    With having to take your blood sugar readings so often, you will soon learn what your limits are.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2

Aloe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaLS View Post
    WTF?? Why is your doctor telling you to lose weight while you are pregnant?? You should not be dieting while pregnant!!!
    Eat HEALTHY, and if weight loss happens, then it happens, but you should not be looking to try to lose weight during a pregnancy, geezus.

210c is so much. They told me I could have 200c a day. I kept my carb intake around 50 or so. Never over 100 most of the time and my pregnancy went great.
    My fasting number in the morning couldn't be controlled so I had to take glyburide(?) for it, but other than that, everything was good.
    With having to take your blood sugar readings so often, you will soon learn what your limits are.
    I know I can't control my thyroid issues with food alone. My (main) doctor put me on 50 mgs of levothyroxine, which I am indeed taking. I haven't been able to see an endo yet, though (I'm trying!), but I'm doing my best and I hope to see one by next week.

I agree 210c is way too much. I also agree doing a strict, restrictive calorie diet is not the best idea. I'm thinking to keep eating the way I'm eating-- primal, low carb, nutrient dense foods. I normally eat 1700-2000 calories a day this way (about 30-35% restriction on my TDEE), feeling full and satisfied during the day. This leads me to believe I can keep doing it.

So you ate 50 grams a day and you nor your baby had any problems? I tend to believe there wouldn't be any problems!

I mean, he wants me to lose weight by restricting my calories, which would mean I would have to burn fat for energy anyway... isn't that what losing weight is about? so how can it be that I'm supposed to lose weight, if I can't have ketones in my body? lol.
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

iYummy is offline Junior Member
    Actually I see nothing wrong with losing weight during pregnancy, IF you are overweight to begin with. I don't agree with strict dieting or a ridiculous exercise routine, but eating right and walking daily are a great way to stay healthy. If you do it right you can lose excess body fat while still gaining what you need for the baby.
    I started this pregnancy considered over weight / obese (BMI). I'm currently 5 months pregnant and have gained roughly 5lbs - all of which was gained before going primal nearly 1 month ago. Since changing my diet I haven't gained a single lb and have in fact lost 1.5lbs. I'm NOT starving - in fact I am eating so much food and healthy fats that I can't believe how easy it is! I have so much energy and my baby is growing well.
    With my last pregnancy I gained 66lbs and was so unhealthy. I ended up with a c-section and feel that my poor health was a big reason I took so long to recover.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloe View Post
    I mean, he wants me to lose weight by restricting my calories, which would mean I would have to burn fat for energy anyway... isn't that what losing weight is about? so how can it be that I'm supposed to lose weight, if I can't have ketones in my body? lol.
    Exactly. Lots of people confuse ketosis (which is perfectly safe) with ketoacidosis (which is a near terminal condition). Sounds like your doc is one of them. In the former your body uses ketones because you have low insulin levels due to your low carb levels are low. In the latter your body makes ketones because you have low insulin levels because your body now fails to produce insulin. They are completely different conditions at opposite ends of the insulin sensitivity spectrum.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Agree about the hypothyriodism. Don't try look for natural cures until after you have the baby. Just take your thyroxine and get to the endo as soon as they can make you an appointment.

Along with the fruit and honey, butternut squash is somewhat starchy so it could have an impact on blood sugar. By the looks of your numbers you're definitely insulin resistant.

As for weight, I'd say don't obsess about trying to lose weight while you're pregnant. Since you're already obese, it's fine if you don't gain any as long as your doctor agrees. Just try to eat a healthy diet and get some pregnancy friendly activity. Walking is fine, perfect even. I don't think anyone would recommend starting heavy weight lifting and sprint workouts while 6 months pregnant. If you want to do some resistance training (and the doctor gives the okay) you could do some light calesthenics with Barbie weights (the small 2, 3, 5 lb weights...usually come in pink, hence 'Barbie weights'). If you lose some weight from that plus getting the hypothyriod treated great, but don't worry if you don't while still pregnant.

Aloe is offline Member
    Oh, yes, I'm definitely insulin resistant (though I didn't think I was borderline-diabetic!). My plan is to start exercising with "barbie weights" after the 12 weeks, but for now (8 weeks as of today), I'll only increase my walking.

I agree with iYummy. Losing weight is not a problem as long as you're not trying to lose weight as if you were not pregnant, and you're nourishing yourself properly.

Right now my focus is to control my blood glucose levels, and see an endo a.s.a.p.!

~Albert Einstein~

Just to clear up... I didn't mean losing any weight during pregnancy was bad. Just actively trying to lose weight during pregnancy is ridiculous IMO. If healthy eating and exercising results in weight loss, that is totally fine.
    I was overweight when I got pregnant. I gained 15lbs, but it was all baby, water retention and everything else w/ the pregnancy. After giving birth I weighed about 3lbs less than pre-preg.

Eating the way I did, baby and I were both totally fine. She ended up weighing 7lbs 5oz and was perfectly healthy.
    During an appointment with my OB, after seeing all of my blood sugar readings, she asked if I was following the plan the diabetes class had given to me. I told her no and that I was just going low carb, she just said to keep doing what I was doing
    It did take some trial and error, but it happened pretty quick to eliminate the items that spiked my sugar.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Just to clear up... I didn't mean losing any weight during pregnancy was bad. Just actively trying to lose weight during pregnancy is ridiculous IMO. If healthy eating and exercising results in weight loss, that is totally fine.
    I understood, and I agree with your sentiment that someone's doctor telling them to lose weight while pregnant is ridiculous even if the person is already overweight. If it happens just from switching to healthy eating fine, but it shouldn't be the main focus, not while pregnant.

Aloe is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    I understood, and I agree with your sentiment that someone's doctor telling them to lose weight while pregnant is ridiculous even if the person is already overweight. If it happens just from switching to healthy eating fine, but it shouldn't be the main focus, not while pregnant.
    I'm glad to see you guys agree. It helps me feel more certain of my approach to this whole thing. I'll keep doing what I was doing, then.

It also helps that I got new pants that are two sizes smaller than the ones I was wearing before, and I'm sure I have been eating properly!

~Albert Einstein~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast