Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant + medical issues: please help page 2

Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloe View Post

Thank you for commenting. I've read your posts and articles before; I trust your opinion. I did see this message last night, before you added the ETA. I would ask, though, now that I started levothyroxine, should I still consider complementing with e.g., nori?
    You are welcome! As long as your docs are periodically testing your levels, I think it's fine to add some nori or other seaweed to your diet. Dietary changes that affect thyroid function generally take months to kick in, from what I've seen.

Just eat as much as feels good for you--no need to OD!

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    My TSH was 5.11 and it took 100mcg of levo to lower it! I think you need to talk to your doctor about a higher dose. Go see an endo because most doctors don't know what they are talking about.

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    Gonna have to agree with everyone urging you to see an endo stat! Like call and make an emergency appointment! I don't think 50 mg of levothyroxine sounds like enough with a tsh of over 11. It's not something you want to mess with, please see an endochronologist.

Aloe is offline Member
    I'm trying to see an endo that is covered by my health plan. I have an appointment for MAY 9TH!! I'm going to see my doctor next week and ask him to talk to the endo himself so that she'll see me sooner. If not, I'll ask my aunt who works in a hospital to connect me to one. I don't want to wait any longer than I have to!
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Call the endo's office and speak to the receptionist yourself. Ask them to put you on the waitlist...call every week and you'll get in sooner

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    +1 to getting wait listed and calling regularly. Explain your situation. Call others covered by your health plan and see if they have appointments sooner. Another option might be an OB that sees a lot of people with thyroid issues and diabetes. Worth calling several offices and seeing if they have a doctor that's very experienced in those areas to at least get you started while you wait for the endo.

dawn297 is offline Junior Member
    First of all, congrats on your pregnancy!
    Here's also my experience with gestational diabetes testing. I'm 24 weeks pregnant and have a BMI of 31 which qualifies as obese. So the rule in the country I live in is high BMI = gestational diabetes testing. They do this because there is a slightly (small percentage) higher incidence of gd amongst higher BMI's.
    I myself started off as low-carb last year and transitioned in spring to paleo/primal eating fruits but keeping it fairly lc.
    For the GD test they told me I had to eat very high carb (and sugar bleah) 3 days before the test. Seeing as how I hadn't eaten high-carb (nor gluten) in more than a year (and after googling about paleo preggo's that did the test - and noticing that when they didn't carb up for the test they had horrible false-positives) I decided to carb up for the whole week before the test.

Here's the mistakes I made
    - in the first 3 days I only upped the carbs coming in fruits and honey. It was a mistake because last year I discovered I get really horrible blood sugar readings (I have a blood sugar-meter at home) when I eat a lot of fructose. My body is 100% fine handling high amounts of glucose but fructose not so much. Notice: honey, sweet potatoes, coconut-sugar, most fruit have high amounts of fructose. All the stuff you ate the day (or was it the day before) the test were also high-fructose.
    - I took a slightly higher dose of Probiotics because when I eat slightly higher-carb meals I noticed the probiotics makes me feel less bloated and have no heartburns than I would regularly feel otherwise. Turns out that was a really bad idea, at least for me I noticed that WHEN I eat a high-carb diet that probiotics raises my blood-sugar to ...a lot.

Here's the good things I did:
    - I eventually followed the high-carb diet the hospital where I took the test described ( bread meals + a glass of drinking yoghurt in the morning and lunch, a cookie 2 hrs after breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus a small fruit after lunch and dinner, and dinner was always a carb like rice or potatoes and meat and vegetables). It still made me feel sick, but it was the gluten not crazy blood sugar readings.
    - I did specific exercises to quickly lower my blood sugar readings. I learned this one from Tim Ferris. The minimum amount of exercise in order to get maximum effects. Basically 10 minutes before the high-carb breakfast I did as many squats as I could and as many wall push-ups (about 30 of both). Apparently laughing after a high-carb meals also helps as does drinking green tea, and making sure you get enough mangesium (I take supplements in the evening). And sleeping great also gives better sugar-readings.
    - the night before the test I took my maximum magnesium dose my body was used to (not so much, pregnancy makes absorption harder which means nasty bathroom trips if you take too much without it being absorbed)
    - in the morning 15 minutes before the test I did my quick workout in the bathroom at the hospital (they said you're not allowed to work out after you drink not before :P lawyered!)
    - for in the waiting room I took plenty of laughing material (seriously, people were looking really funny at me, I mean have you ever seen someone laugh out loud in the hospital waiting room?!)

Conclusion: I aced it. I don't think I would have otherwise, but I think it would have been a false positive, after such a long time of not eating high-carb my body didn't know what to do with all the carbs.

I don't think what I did was cheating in any way, rather helping my body with all my knowledge through some rough times ( high-carbing made me angry and weepy and inpatient etc. it was hell).
    If you have to do the test, I would suggest you realize that sometimes even though we give our bodies the best odds sometimes especially after years of not giving them what they need that they can still not make a certain test. If you don't then diet (lower carb Paleo/Primal) still remains the best way to control GD, and when all else fails medicine.

Good luck!

Aloe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    Call the endo's office and speak to the receptionist yourself. Ask them to put you on the waitlist...call every week and you'll get in sooner
    Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    +1 to getting wait listed and calling regularly. Explain your situation. Call others covered by your health plan and see if they have appointments sooner. Another option might be an OB that sees a lot of people with thyroid issues and diabetes. Worth calling several offices and seeing if they have a doctor that's very experienced in those areas to at least get you started while you wait for the endo.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Things work differently here, but I'll do my best to see an endo this week!

Quote Originally Posted by dawn297 View Post
    First of all, congrats on your pregnancy!
    Here's also my experience with gestational diabetes testing.
    (...)
    Here's the mistakes I made
    (...)

Here's the good things I did:
    (...)

Conclusion: I aced it. I don't think I would have otherwise, but I think it would have been a false positive, after such a long time of not eating high-carb my body didn't know what to do with all the carbs.

I don't think what I did was cheating in any way, rather helping my body with all my knowledge through some rough times ( high-carbing made me angry and weepy and inpatient etc. it was hell).
    If you have to do the test, I would suggest you realize that sometimes even though we give our bodies the best odds sometimes especially after years of not giving them what they need that they can still not make a certain test. If you don't then diet (lower carb Paleo/Primal) still remains the best way to control GD, and when all else fails medicine.

Good luck!
    This was awesome! I think it's so interesting that fruit was so bad while other carbs were better. I'm seriously considering buying a glucose-meter to keep track of all of this myself.

I'll take into consideration your comments, thanks for taking the time to write this down!

~Albert Einstein~

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    You're type 2 and don't have a glucose meter? I thought you were from Canada and not Zimbabwe.

Aloe is offline Member
    Hi again,

Today I went to the doctor. He said I'm already diabetic (gestational) with a fasting glucose of 119. As many CW doctors, he wants me to eat 50% of my calories in carbs = 210 grs of carbs, and that should control my blood glucose levels
    I have to track my sugar levels while fasting (first thing in the morning), and after every main meal. He wants me to have a fasting glucose of 60-90 mg/dcl, and a post-meal reading of 90-120. If the 210 grams of sugar don't fix my glucose, then he wants to start me on medicine.

My plan is to eat low carb, but aiming to stay between these numbers. He warned me against ketones, since they might harm the baby. I tend to believe ketones are safe, but if I understand correctly, the baby does need available sugar.

So, I guess my question is: will keeping my sugar in these "safe ranges" help have enough sugar in my blood, should my baby need it?

Also, the doctor wants me to lose a lot of weight. He said I should be eating 1750 cals a day, and lose 2 pounds a week. Is it just me, or this sounds extreme?

ETA: Still can't see the endo. I'll do everything I can to see him/her next week at the latest.
    Last edited by Aloe; 03-21-2013 at 01:11 PM.

~Albert Einstein~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast