Thread: escarole page

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

escarole

Primal Fuel
    am I not supposed to eat this raw or something?

I only know of it from like, The Sopranos, and that it's slang for money in east-coast italian-american lingo. But I bought some the other day on sale, and thought that it just looked like lettuce, so I made a big salad 2 days ago, and since then, my stomach is cramping and generally foul and I hate life. Everything else I ate was from my normal menu options that I know cause no digestive problems.

So is this like a trick lettuce or something?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm. Never heard of than response to escarole, it's usually used as an interesting additive in salads with other types of lettuce. But then, I've never tried it. Some where, years ago, I read that lettuce had no nutrient values, it just looked good on a plate. But escarole must have something in it to get that response.

faithy22 is offline Member
    My family has always used escarole in chicken soup, it's amazing that way!

Harpua is offline Member
    You can only eat it raw with Capicola or as we like to call it in Jersey, gabagool!
    M/35/5'10"
    SW: 325lbs
    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten it raw tons of times with no tummy trouble... it's possible you got a bad batch?

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I don't think so...when I cooked it yesterday, it had a kind of potent, bitter smell that corresponded to the after-taste, so it can't be just water and chlorophyl in there.

whatever though- now that I think about it, I also ate a pineapple puff muffin that I made for a party my wife threw, and it was probably that. I always go like a week or so with no grains or flour of any kind, and then think, "Eh what the hell harm can it do?" and then suffer for like 3 days after.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i love escarole and most bitter greens, but prefer almost all of them cooked.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway