Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatting causing larger thighs? page

purple579 is offline Member

Squatting causing larger thighs?

Primal Fuel
    Hello, long story short I hear a lot of conflicting evidence about whether or not squatting heavy will bulk up thighs...I have heard that it can tone up thighs and make them look better, but I have also heard that they can bulk up muscle mass. For me, I have been squatting fairly heavy (~1.5x bodyweight) for about 2 months now and now I can barely fit into any of my pants. I know that a lot of people say this shouldn't matter, but it really bothers me, I'm a short female (5'0") and I would like to lean my thighs out. Do bodyweight squats help with this? I can feel that they are mostly muscle. I have been doing Pilates on and off, has anyone had good results with that kind of exercise? I plan to continue lifting heavy, but maybe not squatting so much weight since it doesn't really fit with my aesthetic goals...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The squats increases the size of the quad. Hence it increases the circumference of the thigh. It does not add to the side-bulge of a fat pouch, but instead, the front of the leg is becoming more convex. It will not reduce the amount of fat. The fat on the low body for women generally only goes away with a complex game of macro-nutrients, combination of pump and strength training, and low impact cardio, when the BF% starts dropping to lower than 20% and continues to drop. Unless you have naturally slim legs, your BF% will have to be in an uncomfortable level, below the 'smooth', off-season fat level for body-builder, into the 'definition' zone to get the fat coat off the thigh. To drop the thigh size, while preserving upper body mass, you either have to be genetically lucky, or do a dedicated program. Ultimate Diet 2.0 was the only thing that worked for me a bit, but it is hell and did not stick.

But, if you are squatting 1.5 BW in 2 months, you are like nationals level, girl. Consider competing!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    I plan to continue lifting heavy, but maybe not squatting so much weight since it doesn't really fit with my aesthetic goals...
    Pause...it's volume and reps that make you bigger, not the amount of weight. If anything lift around the 3 rep range to get stronger with as much size increase.

#2 Big fucking legs and butt make me stare.....in a totally non-creepy way of course.

#3 If you're squatting (to correct depth), 1.5x bodyweight you should compete. 1.75-2.0x BW squat will let you crush powerlifting competitions.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Way back when I was speedskating I regularly did 720 pounds on the hip sled, lots of reps. My thighs were massive and bulky. But at least part of that was the fact that I was probably carrying 50# of excess fat. Now I easily gain muscle tone in the thighs, almost just by thinking about going for a walk. Muscle memory is an amazing thing.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I hope this is true, I want slightly bigger thighs and butt

purple579 is offline Member
    Let me clarify for myself, because I was always confused. When I do legs I start with the bar and then work my way up to having(at last practice) 62.5 lbs worth of plates on each side of the bar...I weigh about 115...so that's 1.5 right? And I really hope I'm squatting correctly, I've watched a lot of videos but I don't have anyone who can watch me and help me...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Let me clarify for myself, because I was always confused. When I do legs I start with the bar and then work my way up to having(at last practice) 62.5 lbs worth of plates on each side of the bar...I weigh about 115...so that's 1.5 right? And I really hope I'm squatting correctly, I've watched a lot of videos but I don't have anyone who can watch me and help me...
    Your math is correct.

I suggest setting up a cam and videoing yourself, then uploading it to youtube and giving out the link. You'll get suggestions.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You have 125lbs of plates but you have 170lbs total if the bar weighs 45lbs. That's a hell of a squat you have there. Good job!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Kool is offline Senior Member
    I too am about 117 pounds!!!
    But my max squat is about 155 which is 1.35x my weight.
    Can't tell if my quads got bigger or the loss of fat from weight loss makes them more defined so they seem bigger
    Look up pictures of sprinters and pictures of marathoners...sprinters are buff and marathoners are sliiiiiim
    Sprinters lift big weights with few reps and marathoners lift smaller weights with more reps.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No offense intended here, but something doesn't sound quite right. I'm thinking the bar you're using may not be 45 lbs, you're not squatting to depth or you're using a Smith machine.

I say this to hopefully encourage you to do more research or post a form check video. Most people who can squat 1.5x body weight have been lifting long enough to know about correct form, adding up weights, etc.

Either way continue the hard work!
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast