Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatting causing larger thighs? page 8

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I know. I don't think a surgery will be useful until I learn to maintain weight. Still hoping to grow muscle against all hope.

Frustration and stalling though should be communicated and recorded and referenced for the benefits of the others.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I know. I don't think a surgery will be useful until I learn to maintain weight. Still hoping to grow muscle against all hope.
    leida, how old are you?

you mention all of the hard work you've done, etc. if i remember correctly from other threads, you had what seems like, some eating issues in the past. if you are currently trying to gain muscle mass, eating in a caloric surplus is going to be necessary. are you comfortable with the fat gain that will ensue?

you mentioned above, that your bench press weight is stuck. have you tried a caloric surplus? have you tried a legitimate powerlifting protocol for working past sticking points? microloading? assistance work? negatives? working only the top portion or bottom portion of the bench (depending on where you stick in the actual range of motion)?

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    I reckon the solution is to do air squats and don't eat buns..sorted
    This really. I used to squat big weights. My thighs got bigger. I stopped and went for high rep air squats - mainly due to a spinal issue at first, but then out of choice because - my thighs got smaller. Still working on avoiding buns

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am 38, I stopped counting calories and macros in November, gaining some 15 pounds since then, hence surplus. before that, I did 1 bulk-up cycle for 2 months, gaining 12 lbs, with minuscule increase in lifts and muscular mass. I lost all the accumulated muscular mass when I cut, at least that's what is scale saying. I am now trying to increase muscle mass when eating more and maintaining a higher level of body fat (i.e 25+% as opposite to lower 20ies). Want to see if that prompts body to start building muscle. If that happens, I will just keep going. If not, I am not sure. Right now I can't lift on a lifting program time-wise, so doing WODs only. Come mid-April, we'll see.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am 38, I stopped counting calories and macros in November, gaining some 15 pounds since then, hence surplus. before that, I did 1 bulk-up cycle for 2 months, gaining 12 lbs, with minuscule increase in lifts and muscular mass. I lost all the accumulated muscular mass when I cut, at least that's what is scale saying. I am now trying to increase muscle mass when eating more and maintaining a higher level of body fat (i.e 25+% as opposite to lower 20ies). Want to see if that prompts body to start building muscle. If that happens, I will just keep going. If not, I am not sure. Right now I can't lift on a lifting program time-wise, so doing WODs only. Come mid-April, we'll see.
    i am curious to see the results of your muscle building experiment. when it comes time, i think you understand that the cardio, as well as the WODs have to come to a stop. one of the first rules of building mass is eliminating the excess cardio. then you will have to eat in a surplus. i'd say the 1gram of protein per lb of bodyweight would be a good place to start as well. also, in the future, when you are attempting to cut weight (fat) at least 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight. as for a lifting plan, a hypertrophy-specific plan might suit you better than a 5x5 or 3x5 program. following something like westside for skinny bastards might work. or working with more of a traditional bodybuilding split might benefit you as well. growing muscle is definitely not easy work. and considering the fact that you are a woman in her 30s, thats just 2 more strikes against you. best of luck

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've actually built a lot more shoulder and back muscle lifting weights than thigh muscles from squats, or at least more that I can notice. I'm still pretty weak in the upper body, though. I'm pretty much stuck trying to bench more than 75lbs. I'm just trying to become the best version of me. I really don't think I can get any slimmer than I am without causing damage to myself from undereating or over-exercising.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Check out Joy Victoria. She is in great shape, squats, deadlifts, etc., but not bulky. She is definitely defined and has muscle mass, but in no way looks manly.

Joy Victoria - S&C Coach — Joy Victoria - Personal Trainer, S&C Coach

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think Leida is not worried about looking bulky... none of us are. But it is hard to get the ratio of fat to muscle just right. It's the flab.

Joy Victoria looks amazing. But having a body like hers is no more a done deal if you lift heavy and eat right than starving yourself will make you look like Kate Moss.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The idea of looking "manly" never crossed my mind.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Joy uses the Leangains approach, and goes into detail about her Leangains journey. Might be something to consider as far as fat loss.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast