Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatting causing larger thighs? page 6

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    They cost 3 times as much as store-bought jeans.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    you are missing the point entirely -_-

the "muscles" you are gaining aren't making your thighs "unmanageable" - it's the fat on your thighs.
    Do what you want - but imho (of course) not squatting isn't the answer to manageable thighs - it's shedding the excess fat on them. Do what you want.

I showed Camille not because she is the ideal female form that every woman should try to be like - but because she is strong as you - waay stronger than you and not bulky.
    And you know this because you've measured every woman's bodyfat, or how?

Most women doing even normal heavy exercise do not get large muscles. Some can, and doing very heavy exercise will stimulate that in such women quite easily.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think it's time for a news-flash: Women Who Lift Heavy Will Experience Hypertrophy. Millage and Satisfaction with the Results May Vary. WOW! Who would have thought!

Do what you want - but imho (of course) not squatting isn't the answer to manageable thighs - it's shedding the excess fat on them. Do what you want.
    Yeah, except squatting builds muscle but doesn't burn fat off.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Didnt read full thread but read first post.

Theres no such thing as toning your muscles. Muscles grow the way they grow. Just because you change your reps or your weight doesn't change the way they grow, just the rate in which they grow. Just cause you do 100 reps dosnt mean your muscles magically "grow longer and leaner."

"toning' = "i want hard muscles"= lose your squishy fat= do something to burn squishy fat. possibly HIT.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    They cost 3 times as much as store-bought jeans.
    Perhaps, but my thighs fit in them and there is no gap in the back showing the entire world my underwear. I got to decide how high the waist is, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Building muscle and heavy lifting do burn fat. People just incorrectly associate fat loss with weight loss. I highly recomend people google a side by side comparison of what a pound of fat in comparison to a pound of muscle look like. What I am trying to say is that if you put on muscle and burn fat your results may not reflect on a scale. I know that for me personally I lose much more fat when I lift heavy than when I dont and generally - per Navy guidlines which are not exactly accurate - My bodyfat percentage is usually lower when I am about 190 pounds than when I am 180.

For me personnaly I have a very stocky build, I am about 5'3" with a 46-48 inch chest and when I do a lot of squats it does make buying pants even more of a hassle than it already is. The worst is wearing my dresswhite uniform which is pretty tight on the thighs as is. Not saying I mind it, I like having large, powerful legs and will keep buying squats. I didn't think that designyourownjeans.com prics where that far off what store bought jeans were at least if you are buing name brand.

MprDoc is offline Senior Member

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Us dudes often make the mistake of telling women how they should think or feel based on what we like.
    Doesn't seem like a mistake.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Didnt read full thread but read first post.

Theres no such thing as toning your muscles. Muscles grow the way they grow. Just because you change your reps or your weight doesn't change the way they grow, just the rate in which they grow. Just cause you do 100 reps dosnt mean your muscles magically "grow longer and leaner."

"toning' = "i want hard muscles"= lose your squishy fat= do something to burn squishy fat. possibly HIT.
    Not exactely, higher reps will give you more sarcoplastic hypertrophy making your muscles look rounder and fuller due to increased glycogen storage, the "toned" and leaner appearence many are looking for. Basically it may be wise to head for both myofibrillar AND sarcoplastic hypertrophy, both raw strength and strength endurance...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Building muscle and heavy lifting do burn fat. People just incorrectly associate fat loss with weight loss. I highly recomend people google a side by side comparison of what a pound of fat in comparison to a pound of muscle look like. What I am trying to say is that if you put on muscle and burn fat your results may not reflect on a scale. I know that for me personally I lose much more fat when I lift heavy than when I dont and generally - per Navy guidlines which are not exactly accurate - My bodyfat percentage is usually lower when I am about 190 pounds than when I am 180.
    In men, yes, in women - no. We do not experience the afterburn after heavy lifting, and have harder time letting go off fat. Lifting heavy loads does very little to mobilize fat for women in general. Lyle McDonalds has an inspired write-up about it. Women basically have to do cardio to mobilize fat. In addition muscle growth is not as pronounced in men, so the additional calories burned by additional muscular tissue that is minuscule to start with (the often-quoted number of 50 cals per lb is about 3x exaggerated) are pretty much insignificant.

I have also experienced inability to increase muscle mass and strength when the BF% was lower - but by no means low enough to look firm with no dribble on the thigh area.

Bottom-line is that, yes, women CAN bulk up (i.e. experience hypertrophy) but heavy lifting on its own will not stimulate significant fat loss. Which MAY results in bigger troubled areas, aka thighs, where we have a confluence of a happily growing quad (women grow low body muscle and accumulate lower body strength MUCH more easily than the UB) and the most stubborn fat known to humanity - the female low body fat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast