Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatting causing larger thighs? page 5

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You want a steady-state 30 to 60 min to promote blood flow to the stubborn fat areas and do the fat burn prompt.

However, my muscles increased in size significantly with strength workouts (5x5, 3x5 etc). While not hypertrophy-specific, strength training increases size, and if the muscle has potential to grow it will grow. The workouts that did not increase the muscle mass (in fact started to decrease it after a while) were the boot-campy staff with cardio and light weights (with 3-5 sets of 15-20 reps). And, yes, it was coupled with 'on BMR" diet and 70% carbs, <15% fat.

Here is the body changes:
    Final_Composite.jpg

And here is lifting:

14MonthComposite.jpg
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Not people telling me I'm wrong for wanting to look the way I want.
    By cardio, do you mean slow and steady state(i.e., walking at 3-4ish mph at a gentle incline?) or more intense cardio?
    you are missing the point entirely -_-

the "muscles" you are gaining aren't making your thighs "unmanageable" - it's the fat on your thighs.
    Do what you want - but imho (of course) not squatting isn't the answer to manageable thighs - it's shedding the excess fat on them. Do what you want.

I showed Camille not because she is the ideal female form that every woman should try to be like - but because she is strong as you - waay stronger than you and not bulky.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 03-15-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Nice body transformation Leida!

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    And, yes, it was coupled with 'on BMR" diet and 70% carbs, <15% fat.

RyanIPT is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Not people telling me I'm wrong for wanting to look the way I want.
    By cardio, do you mean slow and steady state(i.e., walking at 3-4ish mph at a gentle incline?) or more intense cardio?
    You are very welcome.

The cardio should get your heart going so I would guess faster than 3-4 mph. You might try 20-30 minutes post-leg workout, however, performing 6 reps or fewer/set is definitely the more important of the two suggestions.

Cardio will increase cortisol which inhibits muscle growth. Weight training does the same, but it also increases muscle building hormones for the first 45 minutes or so. Tacking on a cardio workout at the end will increase your post-workout cortisol without increasing the muscle building hormones--makes for a hormonal climate that is less supportive of muscle growth.

I should add that increasing cortisol is not a good thing if you are not getting enough sleep or under a lot of stress. A workout like that could help contribute to adrenal fatigue if that's the case.
    Let's make exercise smarter. Integrativepersonaltraining.com

purple579 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    you are missing the point entirely -_-

the "muscles" you are gaining aren't making your thighs "unmanageable" - it's the fat on your thighs.
    Do what you want - but imho (of course) not squatting isn't the answer to manageable thighs - it's shedding the excess fat on them. Do what you want.

I showed Camille not because she is the ideal female form that every woman should try to be like - but because she is strong as you - waay stronger than you and not bulky.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that squatting gave me more leg muscle, and given the fact that I have very short legs, yes, I would say that my "muscles" as you so referred to them has made them larger. Sure, I have fat on my thighs, as I'm sure you do too, but from what people are telling me it seems that squatting as much as I have been-referring to volume as well as weight-which is a fair amount, hasn't really been helping me.
    Furthermore, that's exactly what I'm talking about-you may think she's not bulky, and that is YOUR opinion, and yes, I'm 100% positive she's stronger than me. But everyone's body is different and everyone's body responds to workouts differently. We can't all get lean and jacked from Crossfit-style workouts, much as we all want to. It doesn't seem to be working for me. So telling me that I'm not going to bulk up from doing heavy squats because women "can't" is, I'm sorry, not always the case. Yes, we're not going to look like female bodybuilders on roids, but there is a certain amount of bulking that can happen. You don't know how my body is going to respond, or anyone's for that matter.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Guys don't believe women can grow big muscles because most women do not try to grow big muscles. But women CAN grow big muscles. Squats are a great way to get big thighs. You should see some of the college girls in the gym where I work with. Their thighs are awesome. As long as your waist is staying the same or getting smaller, if your thighs are getting bigger, it's muscle.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

purple579 is offline Member
    Yeah, my stomach has gotten more defined and tighter, so I don't think its a case of gaining fat. I think this is more of n=1 and for me to take some time off of barbell squats, try some different exercises, and see if I like the results. So it goes.

BeatMD is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    Oh I just thought that's what always happened while pants shopping as a woman...
    oh god i could not stop laughing at this.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you stated above that you were carrying 50 extra pounds of fat. is there a chance that some of that could be on your thighs?

i don't know any woman speedskaters, but i know female hockey players and yes, they all have muscular legs. and i'm sure if they, or anyone else was carrying 50 extra pounds of fat, that some of that would be distributed over the leg-area. would you agree?
    The idea that women who get giant thighs from heavy weights are lying may feed your ego, but doesn't change the reality that doing large amounts of weight can make some women's thighs disproportionately large.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    Fair comment, explain yourself Ekatherine
    Do you have a question?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast