Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatting causing larger thighs? page 4

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Squats can be a great builder of the quadriceps for people that have the right built, for others it may be better for building the waist or butt! Personally I have got very good abs and lower back from squats, but my quadriceps are built by leg-press and hack-lift…

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually starting to like having big thighs. Squats make them burn. Deadlifts work my glutes.

The problem is that if you start having some muscle on your thighs, you will be basically wearing A line skirts OR ill fitting pants. Like I see those awesome crossfit women with big quads and I'm like hell yeah, you go hottie, but I know they are probably in tears trying to find pants that fit.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

purple579 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    If I read another thread from women afraid of "bulking up" from lifting I'm going nuts!

Here's Camille she squats 300 lbs - is she bulky? By some standards maybe. She most likely squats more than 2x what any lady on this forum does and is a professional athlete which means you will never attain her bulkiness.
    For one thing, I understand the difference between what lifting weights can accomplish and what people incorrectly think of as "toning"-I was only using that as a verb because you have to admit, what other verb can you use to describe it? "Toning" is such a taboo word now, I should have known I would get crucified for using it.
    Secondly, "By some standards maybe." -yes, I have my own set of standards, and yes, you have your own set of standards, so don't try to force yours on me. It isn't comfortable for me to barely squeeze into any of my shorts and to have my thighs always rubbing together. Far from wanting to look like an waif, I just would like to have my legs be a little more manageable. Is that such a crime? I was simply looking for some advice on the science behind what happens when women squat heavy and I don't really need people trying to force their own standards of aesthetics on me because that's not what I'm looking for.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I know they are probably in tears trying to find pants that fit.
    Oh I just thought that's what always happened while pants shopping as a woman...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

RyanIPT is offline Junior Member
    Charles Poliquin lays it out nicely... performing sets of 6 or fewer reps will target more neural development and not much cellular development. This means that you will increase in strength without increasing in size primarily through increased coordination and neural drive. Stimulus to increase muscle size is best around 8-12 reps/set.

Naturally, 6 or fewer reps means the weight is quite a bit heavier than if you're doing 10, 12+ reps. Form becomes more and more critical so you might want to have someone give you some feedback if you are having some doubt. Paul Chek recommends not going this heavy with weight until at least a year's worth of weight training, but it sounds like you have that already.

Another thought is to do a bunch of cardio at the end of the workout. That will switch your hormone balance to be less supportive of muscle growth.

Anyway, avoid the 8-12 rep range. If your form and health are supportive, try using sets of 6 reps or less (with heavier weight).

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Us dudes often make the mistake of telling women how they should think or feel based on what we like.
    Love this. Love it even more without the "based on what we like" part

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Whoah, we got 4 pages and counting of "Hey, I'm lifting heavy weights; is it possible that's making my muscles a little bigger?"

J/K

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I'm actually starting to like having big thighs. Squats make them burn. Deadlifts work my glutes.

The problem is that if you start having some muscle on your thighs, you will be basically wearing A line skirts OR ill fitting pants. Like I see those awesome crossfit women with big quads and I'm like hell yeah, you go hottie, but I know they are probably in tears trying to find pants that fit.
    No more tears: Makeyourownjeans.com, Custom Jeans | Designer Jeans

Reps of 5 can cause hypertrophy. Hypertrophy is the Latin word for bulking. I've experienced it and I actually really love it. I love to show off my muscles to my boyfriend. He can't give me the "do you even lift" nonsense because yes, I do lift and he does not. I deadlifted HIS bodyweight the other day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    No more tears: Makeyourownjeans.com, Custom Jeans | Designer Jeans

Hypertrophy is the Latin word for bulking.
    Well Greek, and cell enlargement, but close enough. Nice call on the jeans....I may order some.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

purple579 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanIPT View Post
    Charles Poliquin lays it out nicely... performing sets of 6 or fewer reps will target more neural development and not much cellular development. This means that you will increase in strength without increasing in size primarily through increased coordination and neural drive. Stimulus to increase muscle size is best around 8-12 reps/set.

Naturally, 6 or fewer reps means the weight is quite a bit heavier than if you're doing 10, 12+ reps. Form becomes more and more critical so you might want to have someone give you some feedback if you are having some doubt. Paul Chek recommends not going this heavy with weight until at least a year's worth of weight training, but it sounds like you have that already.

Another thought is to do a bunch of cardio at the end of the workout. That will switch your hormone balance to be less supportive of muscle growth.

Anyway, avoid the 8-12 rep range. If your form and health are supportive, try using sets of 6 reps or less (with heavier weight).
    Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Not people telling me I'm wrong for wanting to look the way I want.
    By cardio, do you mean slow and steady state(i.e., walking at 3-4ish mph at a gentle incline?) or more intense cardio?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast