Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatting causing larger thighs? page 2

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    I hope this is true, I want slightly bigger thighs and butt
    All you need to do is squat and eat....easy problem to solve.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    If I read another thread from women afraid of "bulking up" from lifting I'm going nuts!

Here's Camille she squats 300 lbs - is she bulky? By some standards maybe. She most likely squats more than 2x what any lady on this forum does and is a professional athlete which means you will never attain her bulkiness.
    ad astra per aspera

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    Hello, long story short I hear a lot of conflicting evidence about whether or not squatting heavy will bulk up thighs...I have heard that it can tone up thighs and make them look better, but I have also heard that they can bulk up muscle mass. For me, I have been squatting fairly heavy (~1.5x bodyweight) for about 2 months now and now I can barely fit into any of my pants. I know that a lot of people say this shouldn't matter, but it really bothers me, I'm a short female (5'0") and I would like to lean my thighs out. Do bodyweight squats help with this? I can feel that they are mostly muscle. I have been doing Pilates on and off, has anyone had good results with that kind of exercise? I plan to continue lifting heavy, but maybe not squatting so much weight since it doesn't really fit with my aesthetic goals...
    Change up the rep scheme, keep it around/under 6. Your muscle can't change shape, it can only increase or decrease. Lay off the squats entirely if you want to lose the muscle, that's the only way to "tone" in the sense that women usually think. Are you relatively lean or not? adjust your diet for fat loss if not, if you're already rather lean, all you can really do to fit in your pants again is lose muscle mass on your legs, so squat less.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You don't even need to post the video. You will see the depth, and be able to judge if you are at least parallel or not.

Here's Camille she squats 300 lbs - is she bulky? By some standards maybe. She most likely squats more than 2x what any lady on this forum does and is a professional athlete which means you will never attain her bulkiness.
    I wouldn't mind looking like her, but yeah, pants may be problematic for her

The OP states that her pants do not fit well in the leg any more. It might not seem like a problem to a male, but I sure can relate, and yes, tightness of pants above the knee is called by a bulking quad, I have experienced that. Luckily, my closet is loaded with insane amount of clothes in every size that my mom purchases obsessively, including plenty of stretch pants models, so I don't dwell.

There are actually plenty of males who do not want lower body increase either. Or who have some exacting parameters what they want lean and what they don't. In fact, I have even seen males who do not want to be bulky, but have that wiry strength shape....

We all have our thing... I won't do calf rises, because in my view the only part of me that is perfect just the way it is are calves and they get trained plenty by everything else.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-14-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    If I read another thread from women afraid of "bulking up" from lifting I'm going nuts!
    dammit! you beat me to it!

honestly...the op had the words "bulk up" and "tone" in THE SAME SENTENCE...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Doing massive weight means a woman can get massive thighs, whether or not guys think it's a problem to them if she can't buy clothes that fit. When I was a speedskater I couldn't cross my legs. Bleh.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't matter which words she is using, she is asking for an advice. And in the past few years there has been incorrect message sent to women, that heavy lifting is a key to the body you want that will magically transform you into an athletic beauty with only 3 workouts a week if only you lift heavy enough. This is not correct. For myself, I found that the errata is:

1. the muscle size will increase doing heavy compound exercise,
    2. the quad tends to respond eagerly in most women to training growing visibly larger, but upper body is nowhere near
    3. the weight lifting on its own does not address fat storage, unlike it does in men;
    4. weight lifting does not cause any significant fat 'after-burn' as it does in men
    5. only very talented women can reach maxes described as 'no brainier' in training manuals for males
    6. many cannot support the recommended frequency of training for males, they just do not recover;
    7. fat storage cannot be reduced to the level when the body looks firm and athletic on a casual training program,
    8. the balance between overtraining vs underlifting, and overeating vs starving is elusive at best
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It doesn't matter which words she is using, she is asking for an advice. And in the past few years there has been incorrect message sent to women, that heavy lifting is a key to the body you want that will magically transform you into an athletic beauty with only 3 workouts a week. This is not correct. For myself, I found that the errata is:

1. the muscle size will increase doing heavy compound exercise,
    2. the quad tends to respond eagerly in most women to training growing visibly larger, but upper body is nowhere near
    3. the weight lifting on its own does not address fat storage, unlike it does in men;
    4. weight lifting does not cause any significant fat 'after-burn' as it does in men
    5. only very talented women can reach maxes described as 'no brainier' in training manuals for males
    6. many cannot support the recommended frequency of training for males, they just do not recover;
    7. fat storage cannot be reduced to the level when the body looks firm and athletic on a casual training program,
    8. the balance between overtraining vs underlifting, and overeating vs starving is elusive at best
    9. Older women may need lots more recovery time than younger women, even though they may be doing less volume already.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Doing massive weight means a woman can get massive thighs, whether or not guys think it's a problem to them if she can't buy clothes that fit. When I was a speedskater I couldn't cross my legs. Bleh.
    could that have had anything to do with the 50lbs of fat you were carrying? just curious...

you can't add any significant amount of muscle mass unless you are eating in a caloric surplus. that is a fact. so if the op is squatting heavy, her muscles will develop some, but getting gigantic thighs is simply not an option unless she is stuffing her face. women don't produce the testosterone to simply grow muscle they way they think they will. for every woman that says "i don't want to get bulky" there are 1000 men out there wishing it was only that easy.

i think that many women see pictures of waif thin, anorexic models and strive to look that way. they think that is the ideal feminine figure, and when they see a strong and confident athletic woman, they feel as though that woman is "bulky" or strange looking.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Us dudes often make the mistake of telling women how they should think or feel based on what we like.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast