Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Squatting causing larger thighs? page 13

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Not so fast - a lean person that build muscle and also gain some more fat may appear more "toned" so you are basically wrong!
    Show me someone with a high body fat % who looks toned.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    The more/heavier I squat, deadlift and leg-press, the smaller my leg and butt get. I know when riding season starts that I will gain some quad size but it wont last. The stronger I get, the smaller my lower body gets, but I do have a small build. I train with some women who have had the opposite reaction from thier bodies. Genetics play a large role in this, at least that is my thought in the matter!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Last time I saw your before and after pictures you showed some great progress, so obviously you must have changed things for the better! So, what are those changes that helped to transform your body?
    Yes, but those are old photos, and I have not been progressing for years. I mean, the only thing I really did is that I did NOT have a baby again.

I gained weight to get pregnant and during pregnancy, and did not lose any after pregnancy - that's my before picture. I did not really care for about 2.5 years too happy to finally have my baby, until I saw that picture of myself with my 2 y.o on the beach. Then I re-established workout times - and that did nothing. I cut out desert (a pastry after supper) and started intensifying workouts gradually back to pre-preg intensity level like Buns of Steel/Cathy Smith and running from walking and going from 1 hr a day to ~ 3 hrs a day of higher and higher impact activity boot-camp style and running. I attended classes at work and got certified myself as a Group Fitness Instructor. I ate 70% carbs and <15% fat. I lost the weight in 18 weeks, and I struggled to keep it off on that regimen. Then I read Hyman's book, and started adding fat, then started lifting, and tried different things diet wise ever since, but:

I am
    doomed to be fat because apparently nothing in the world works for
    me.

Or rather I am doomed to be 'not fat', but not have a 'body of my dreams' either. I can't progress from looking good in clothes to looking good in a bathing suit. I am stack on being "Okay", it is not apparent from how I look that I train.

I can't get my body not to be flabby, even when I got myself down to 115 lbs on the conventional way and to 113 lbs on the Ultimate Diet 2.0. Those were my lowest weights, and the WW scale read ~17% and ~16% BF respectively. But from my pictures I looked more like 20-22% BF and still had flabby thighs with a fat bulge on the outer thigh. When I was 113 lbs, my stomach was flat but no abdominal definition (and that was the first time ever in my life I saw skin 'hang'). I could not function at that weight and regained within a week.

For curiosity's sake, here are the edits to my day yesterday:

My day today... woke up 4 am. Stretched in bed till 4:30 am. Got up and made 3 breakfasts, fresh OJ for my folks, packed lunches, looked at X-fit WOD, how can I sub 150 wall ball & 30 mus-up since wrist injured?
    Depart for work (I have someone's parking this week, WOOOT!) otherwise I would be up at 4 am at 5:30 am
    Arrive work: 6 am, databse with end of March deadline - till 8:45 am, walk to first meeting 9 am, second meeting - immediately after, to 11:25 am, database
    snow cold, crap, e-mails - no walk for lunch, catch up after work, ignore a few referrals
    third meeting (need prep now) at 1 pm to 3:30 pm + sent Easter cards out

Updated: meeting went to ~ 4 pm, so I did not get off work till 4:10 pm (did not forget henna in fridge at work, yay!), got home 4:50 pm (traffic), did 30 min kickboxing DVD (haven't done in months, felt good!)
    since it cleared out walked to school pick kiddo up and we took the long way home, along the bluff, played, climbed rock outcrops, raced along the way and I carried my 60-lb-er for a couple stretches when she needed a boost. The wind got to cutting so we also froze in the true Primal fashion in the last 20 min of walk.
    Home at 7:20 pm.Supper available, but put thaw liver for cooking my dinner tomorrow, enough for my folks.
    ate supper, homework for my kid, I read a bit
    Clean up kitchen, left dinner for hubby and went to bed by ~8:30 pm, read book to the kiddo.
    Husband came back from work ~ 9 pm, happy not many PTIs tomorrow... chatted couple minutes, passed out
    END OF DAY

Total activity: 30 min kickboxing, walking ~ 2 hrs, on my feet in the kitchen and at work ~ 6 hrs

Wrist feels almost good, so today I will combine wall balls, double unders and dips from yesterday with today snatches, but do snatches with light KB if wrist can take it. Otherwise will do light squats. I will have gym time today because my kid has her basketball. Then we stay to play ping pong and play in the gym, maybe she'll climb or maybe we go for a dip in the pool.

All and all, I think I do what I can for my body, while not damaging my carrier and family. But it is not a recipe for a firm body and slim thighs.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-22-2013 at 06:15 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Show me someone with a high body fat % who looks toned.
    Who talks about "high body fat" here? It's well known that if you are pretty lean and increase the volume of lean mass and also gain some fat that you may appear more toned because you get more muscle even if you also gain some more fat. Some people can see their abs at 17 % of bodyfat after bulking up from 12 % where they did not see anything at all...

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    Yeah, sure! I'll give you the details of a session I did a couple weeks ago...obviously I've stopped doing heavy barbell squats for the time being.
    I did legs once a week and started with squats.
    2x8xbar(45lbs) (warmup)
    2x6x95
    2x5x105
    2x4x115
    2x4x125
    2x3x135
    2x3x145
    Box squats: 3x8x115
    Bulgarian split squats: 3x8x75
    Plie squats: 3x10x25 lb dumbbell
    Leg curl 3x10x40
    Plie jump squat 3x12
    Barbell step ups 2x10x30 1x10x40
    Lying leg curl 3x10x40
    Calf press 3x12x60
    I'd always do squats and box squats but I'd change up the accessory work...glute kickbacks, hamstring ball curls, leg press, etc.
    Hopefully that gives you enough info.
    Good morning! Thanks for taking the time to write this out. First off nice job on the work out! Did you write this program yourself? I like where you're going it just needs a few tweaks.

I don't know how you do your squats because I haven't seen them but if you have an Iphone we might be able to do something there as well.

So the tweaks I would suggest. These are depending on your personal goals of course so you need to create a program that is specific to you. The main thing that I see here is volume. You've got a ton of it and volume means size. When you are lifting submaximal weights (50-70% 1RM) with higher rep scemes you are causing microscopic tears in the muscle belly. These heal and end up larger than before because of scar tissue. Someone mentioned hypertrophy, that's what all this volume does.

Now, from what I can see here you have the right idea in your program by setting up your main lift followed by your accessories but I would actually make the above workout into two with the beginning of a third.

So to answer your question is squating causing larger thighs? Yes and no. The way you have set up your current program is far more likely to be the cause of your increase in muscle size.

The reason why I asked if you have an Iphone is because I would also like to see if you're squating to depth. If you're only doing 1/4 squats then this will also be a contributing factor to your muscles increasing in size. Let me know if you have an Iphone and I'll let you know about an app that I use with my clients.

Some one also mentioned genetics which will also play a roll but not as big as what most would like to believe. Yes it's going to control height and femur length which will in turn make your thighs look larger or smaller but it will also make you naturally a great runner or have huge numbers on your deadlift. Which side has the greenest grass? If you're interested in knowing a bit more send me a quick note to my email.

Thanks!

PS. Someone else recommended doing your cardio post work out. If you're looking to get leaner yes this is the right way to go but the science you stated isn't quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Or rather I am doomed to be 'not fat', but not have a 'body of my dreams' either. I can't progress from looking good in clothes to looking good in a bathing suit. I am stack on being "Okay", it is not apparent from how I look that I train.

I can't get my body not to be flabby, even when I got myself down to 115 lbs on the conventional way and to 113 lbs on the Ultimate Diet 2.0. Those were my lowest weights, and the WW scale read ~17% and ~16% BF respectively. But from my pictures I looked more like 20-22% BF and still had flabby thighs with a fat bulge on the outer thigh. When I was 113 lbs, my stomach was flat but no abdominal definition (and that was the first time ever in my life I saw skin 'hang'). I could not function at that weight and regained within a week.
    Apparently you were depleted of glycogen, and freaked out because you looked not that good by that bodyweight, which is normal untill you restore glycogen and water. People that are losing weight and may seem fatter and without any muscle and also feel like crap due to the dehydration. The last stubborn fat may be very hard to get rid of because of things like that...

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Who talks about "high body fat" here? It's well known that if you are pretty lean and increase the volume of lean mass and also gain some fat that you may appear more toned because you get more muscle even if you also gain some more fat. Some people can see their abs at 17 % of bodyfat after bulking up from 12 % where they did not see anything at all...
    Yes. You can gain more fat an along with that more muscle. Then you can lose that extra fat you added and keep the extra muscle you added and look MORE TONED. Its what we call "bulking and cutting." The fact of the matter is, with any given amount of muscle you have, you will look more toned with 0% body fat.

Add calories, add body fat, add to your bench press, gain muscle, get bigger pecks (aka bulk)

then

Cut calories, lose body fat, keep bigger pecks but look more toned (aka cut).

Ill also add that in the bulking stage, when you get more muscle AND fat, people tend to look a lot more "strong" and "jacked" and "beefy" but those terms are not synonymous with "toned".

Kingofturtles, you are still not getting what I am trying to tell you; gaining weight both muscle and some extra fat will make you appear more "toned", within certain limits of course! A lean untrained guy may look more "toned" if he gain enough muscle, even if he also gained some extra fat. Of course if he start to cut down again and retain his muscle he will appear even more toned...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Apparently you were depleted of glycogen, and freaked out because you looked not that good by that bodyweight, which is normal untill you restore glycogen and water. People that are losing weight and may seem fatter and without any muscle and also feel like crap due to the dehydration. The last stubborn fat may be very hard to get rid of because of things like that...
    But I did not look any better when the weight came on/recarbed. ???

Anyway, by now I know that I don't have enough of an anorexic streak to starve my way into a firm body, and do not have enough talent to muscle my way into a firm body. The only other thing I heard that helps people to cut super-low is vegan diets, but I am not willing to try.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-22-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    All I've learned from this thread is that if your a girl your doomed to be fat because apparently nothing in the world works for them.

PS: lets see these before and after pics and see what we're really working with here.
    bingo.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast