Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Squatting causing larger thighs? page 12

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    The thread has come so far from the original post that this is probably now an off-topic reply, but I just wanted to pipe up and say that in my experience, some parts of the body are more prone to hypertrophy than others, and it will differ from person to person. For example, my shoulders, back, and butt are all big muscle-gainers and have gained several inches since I started lifting, but I cannot for the life of me make my skinny little thighs any bigger. They're certainly more toned since starting heavy lifting (I lost fat all over), and they're certainly a LOT stronger (I started out squatting 85 and now I squat 170) but I would give my left arm for that nice big curve other girls get on the backs of their thighs when their hamstrings develop. My thighs look the same size as when I wasn't lifting at all. Sigh.

My thigh muscles just don't want to get bigger, even though they have no problem getting stronger. Anyone know why? Genetics? On a related note, anyone want to front me the cash for hamstring implants? Vanity, vanity.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, there is a train of thought that says how muscle lays down is not even the slightest bit related to activity. Hypertrophy and bigger muscles on you is just what its gonna be no matter how you got your body to grow it.

For instance people who think yoga gives long lean muscles may find that in actuality its people with these sorts of bodies that tend to excel at yoga and so you just get the impression that yoga built that. Same goes for swimming and such. Its the genetic predisposition for the type of muscle your able to build. Some have proportionately more fast twitch fibers than others. We all have variances in attachment points of muscle that change fulcrums and give a different look to muscle size or bulk. You just work with what you got.

OP, you can squat 170?!? Jealous!!

I'm sure everyone here wants to BE healthy and fit, but it's interesting how differently the desire to LOOK healthy and fit can manifest itself. For instance, this hamstring curve thing is not a big deal to me (I'm not even 100% sure I know what you mean), but I would LOVE discernible biceps and triceps. My arms feel strong, and they ARE strong by the average woman's standard, but they don't yet look strong.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Not everything that seem to be hypertrophy is real myofibrillar hypertrophy though! When doing strenght training the muscle fascia will get shorter and make the middle of the muscle appear more bulky and bigger. Stretching and yoga will avoid this to happen to a certain extent, so the long lean muscle of the yoga practioners is not without any foundation whatsoever, because they stretch back the muscle fascia and avoid the apparence of the extra "false" hypertrophy. Another thing is sarcoplasmic hypertrophy that also make the muscle seem bigger due to improved water and glycogen storage. The best way to see whether there really happened a real myofibrillar hypertrophy is by biopsy, taking samples before and after from the muscle fibres...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    How often do you have muscle fiber biopsies, Gorbag?

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    How often do you have muscle fiber biopsies, Gorbag?
    Never! My point is only that not everything that appears like a bigger muscle is always the "real thing" i.e. that the actual muscle fibers have become larger...

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Neckhammer, that explanation makes sense. So I will never have nice juicy Beyonce thighs. Sigh. I will have to just comfort myself with the parts of me that do satisfy my vanity.

Other ladies in my lifting class squat PRs of 200-230. I'm actually behind on squatting ability, at 170. Squat is just not my best lift. I make super slow progress and often don't PR when we test. Deadlift and olys are where I excel.

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Neckhammer, that explanation makes sense. So I will never have nice juicy Beyonce thighs. Sigh. I will have to just comfort myself with the parts of me that do satisfy my vanity.

Other ladies in my lifting class squat PRs of 200-230. I'm actually behind on squatting ability, at 170. Squat is just not my best lift. I make super slow progress and often don't PR when we test. Deadlift and olys are where I excel.
    If you train for vanity, then you much do more of so called "beach-training" and make sure to get lots of carbs to fill up your muscle with water and glycogen to give you a round and full look. The effect comes relative easy compared to real strength gains, and disappear easy as well, but if the cosmetic is the goal then this is the way to go...

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hypertrophy and bigger muscles on you is just what its gonna be no matter how you got your body to grow it.
    1 person on this site gets it.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Yes. Toning = fat loss. The easiest way to "look toned and jacked" is to lose fat. That's what "toned" is. Low fat
    Not so fast - a lean person that build muscle and also gain some more fat may appear more "toned" so you are basically wrong!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast