Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatting causing larger thighs? page 10

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Mark Sisson's wife is super hot, is a vegetarian and doesn't work out two hours a day. I will grant you that if you want to look attractive and fit then you will. However it will take a concerted effort - maybe 1-2 hours a day. This shouldn't be surprising? Is it really? Lots of things require sacrifice if you really want to excel at them - body composition is no different. It's also the reason body compositions are appealing -- because the majority of people say "fuck this this is too hard it isn't worth the effort".

if two hours a day to *get into shape for* the body of your dreams (read:not maintain!) isn't worth the effort then you really don't want it - which is fine. But acting as though it's some onerous, terrible chore to shed fat, get lean and strong, healthy and fit.... what the fuck else are you going to be doing with two hours a day that IS MORE IMPORTANT than being healthy?? cry me a river!
    I have done the crazy ass 1-2 hours a day of working out and diet and it got me exactly nowhere (sitting on my ass eating primal did more). Leida does the same. I've seen women FINISHING Ironmans with saddlebags, and flabby arms and legs (men with pot bellies as well). My friends do cross fit and paleo and have pot bellies and fat asses.

what the fuck else are you going to be doing with two hours a day that IS MORE IMPORTANT than being healthy??
    Spend 45 minutes working out, say fuck it to having defined abs and lean legs and actually.... be healthy because that extra effort doesn't necessarily yield results aesthetically nor is it necessary for health.

I think there are diminishing returns with eating right and working out and that genetics at some point become "not your friend". I'm not saying you just eat McDonalds and sit on your ass. But if you are doing a good mix of cardio and weights 5 times a week, plus otherwise active and eating a whole foods diet and it doesn't land you close to where you want to get, you probably are not going to get there, even if you go to extremes.

Note, this is not an excuse to be obese or not work out or not eat right, just that "lean with defined muscles" is no more obtainable for some people than "willowy" is... and I'm going to bet that if tomorrow obesity became stylish that there are people who could not acheive going from 22% body fat to 35% body fat even if they ate precisely timed servings of junk food.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Genetics play a large part. At what I call my 'stick' weight, I can assure you that even if I could squat/deadlift my apartment building, I'd never have huge thighs or a great bubble ass. We just don't have bubble ass genes in my family.

For the swimmers among us. Nothing scientific, just something I was told. A friend swam competitively in college. After college, she got a job as a director at a local Y. No time to swim, but coordinating classes meant that she taught both her classes and would sub teach for other teachers/leaders. She lost about 30 pounds not even trying - really, she seemed to always have a bag of something salty/greasy in her hands. She told me that swimmers develop a bit of fat to insulate them from the cold. Don't know if it's true, just putting it out there.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Don't know what to say ladies - feel free to throw your hands in the air and say it is impossible to achieve the body you want - but it isn't. See it every day -- people who work hard to achieve their goals. Then there are the people who get on an internet forum and bemoan that their goals are impossible.
    1-2 hours a day - check
    Lift - check
    variety of cardio/HIT -check
    clean foods only - check
    cook every meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) for my whole family with my own lily whites - check
    get up at 4 am to get everything done daily - check
    play time and homework with my kid daily - check
    full-time professional job 8+ hours a day - check
    standing desk at work all day - check
    eat to satiation - check
    daily commute - check
    daily stretch -check
    sleep - 6-7 hrs a day - check
    no TV-time - check

So, tell me again what I am I doing wrong again and where I am like going lazy? Oh, maybe I am not relaxing enough? That's the problem, right? And if I was relaxing, then I would be that lazy woman who just don't devote enough time to daily exercise. YAY!

I dunno why people can't just believe that you can be doing everything right but not get outstanding results. "Just work a little harder" stops working to the point when you keel over from exhaustion. You have to step back an inch from not being able to move in the evening every night. And, yes, I do have nights when I can't walk upstairs my muscles are so exhausted, so I go on all fours. And, if I cut calories lower I stop sleeping. Which, in turn prevents fat loss.

My day today... woke up 4 am. Stretched in bed till 4:30 am. Got up and made 3 breakfasts, fresh OJ for my folks, packed lunches, looked at X-fit WOD, how can I sub 150 wall ball & 30 mus-up since wrist injured?
    Depart for work (I have someone's parking this week, WOOOT!) otherwise I would be up at 4 am at 5:30 am
    Arrive work: 6 am, databse with eo March deadlin - till 8:45 am, walk to first meeting 9 am, second meeting - immediately after, to 11:25 am, database
    snow cold, crap, e-mails - no walk for lunch, catch up after work, ignore a few referals
    third meeting (need prep now) at 1 pm to 3:30 pm
    hopefully will run out of the doors as soon as over, db work unfinished (to re-start at 6 am tomorrow) and get to gym by 4:15 am, qworkout till 5:15 am (injured forearm with FRT SQTs, so adopt WOD and do some cardio, swim if pool lanes not busy, elliptical otherwise) pick kid at 5:30-5:45. Supper available, but put to thaw for cooking morning since not enough for lunches, homework
    promised henna tattoos to kid since Spring Fest, don't forget in fridge at work
    Oh, sent Easter cards out
    Clean up kitchen, put away gym stuff, stretch, play with the kid (cuddle with Little House on the Prairies and I can read), make sure in bed by 8 pm. Husband works late, leave dinner....
    END OF DAY, sleep, start over
    Last edited by Leida; 03-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    1-2 hours a day - check
    Lift - check
    clean foods only - check
    cook every meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) for my whole family with my own lily whites - check
    eat to satiation - check
    daily commute - check
    daily stretch -check
    no TV-time - check

So, tell me again what I am I doing wrong again and where I am like going lazy? Oh, maybe I am not relaxing enough? That's the problem, right? And if I was relaxing, then I would be that lazy woman who just don't devote enough time to daily exercise. YAY!

I dunno why people can't just believe that you can be doing everything right but not get outstanding results. "Just work a little harder" stops working to the point when you keel over from exhaustion. You have to step back an inch from not being able to move in the evening every night. And, yes, I do have nights when I can't walk upstairs my muscles are so exhausted, so I go on all fours. And, if I cut calories lower I stop sleeping. Which, in turn prevents fat loss.

My day today... woke up 4 am. Stretched in bed till 4:30 am. Got up and made 3 breakfasts, fresh OJ for my folks, packed lunches, looked at X-fit WOD, how can I sub 150 wall ball & 30 mus-up since wrist injured?
    Depart for work (I have someone's parking this week, WOOOT!) otherwise I would be up at 4 am at 5:30 am
    Arrive work: 6 am, databse with eo March deadlin - till 8:45 am, walk to first meeting 9 am, second meeting - immediately after, to 11:25 am, database
    snow cold, crap, e-mails - no walk for lunch, catch up after work, ignore a few referals
    hopefully will run out of the doors as soon as over, db work unfinished (to re-start at 6 am tomorrow) and get to gym by 4:15 am, qworkout till 5:15 am (injured forearm with FRT SQTs, so adopt WOD and do some cardio, swim if pool lanes not busy, elliptical otherwise) pick kid at 5:30-5:45. Supper available, but put to thaw for cooking morning since not enough for lunches, homework
    Clean up kitchen, put away gym stuff, stretch, play with the kid (cuddle with Little House on the Prairies and I can read), make sure in bed by 8 pm. Husband works late, leave dinner....
    slacker

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    1-2 hours a day - check
    Lift - check
    clean foods only - check
    eat to satiation - check
    daily commute - check
    daily stretch -check
    no TV-time - check

Last time I saw your before and after pictures you showed some great progress, so obviously you must have changed things for the better! So, what are those changes that helped to transform your body?

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    All I've learned from this thread is that if your a girl your doomed to be fat because apparently nothing in the world works for them.

PS: lets see these before and after pics and see what we're really working with here.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I gave up on willpower years ago. It seemed like I ran out of my quota for life. I've tried a lot of things while I've been losing weight gradually. Some seem to work. Perhaps it's because it's been so long since I have truly dieted, instead letting my weight gradually rise.

All I've learned from this thread is that if your a girl your doomed to be fat because apparently nothing in the world works for them.
    LOL, no.... not doomed to be fat, but more than likely not going to look like a fitness model.

I gave up on willpower years ago. It seemed like I ran out of my quota for life.
    Yeah, I'm pissed that I wasted mine on eating low fat. I do wonder if I re-harnessed that level of obsessive with a paleo template, coupled with the workouts, what would happen?

It's not that hard to not be "fat". It's really damn hard to get to that lower than 20% body fat though.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used up my willpower on weekend fasting about 15 years ago when I was doing yoga.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Surely doing Yoga and Fasting gave you a Yoga Teacher Body?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast