Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The fight against inflammation! Need reinforcements! page

tzulogic is offline Member

The fight against inflammation! Need reinforcements!

Inflammation has basically been apart of my life for the past 3 years. TMJD (Jaw disorder) Neck pain, Headaches, and general systemic inflammation have done their best to ruin my quality of life. I have made progress lately with diet and exercise. I will overcome it. However, on days like today I just get angry, and depressed. I'm 23 dammit. I'm tired of being sick and tired and in pain. I want to live a happy healthy energetic existence.

Unfortunately, my inflammation comes back. It's like 2 steps forward, (Sometimes 3) one step back. Today I woke up with a real slammer. I just started keeping track of what I eat. I'm wondering if its the squash/sweet potato/red potato dinner. I haven't had any problems with nightshades yet, and the red potato was like 1 and a half small ones.

Here's what I ate yesterday, before feeling crappy today:

Food journal for the Paleo Diet - PaleoTrack

OKAY, I know that my macronutrients are out of balance. But I'm a poor man. I cant afford chicken or steak all the time, so I'm going to supplement with whey as soon as possible.

Can too many carbs also be inflammatory? Is that what this is? Because I've been super low carb lately, not by choice but by wallet. SO I've been feeling really really slow, and kinda crappy anyways. Only headache free! So I'm like, okay, I need some more carbs... If thats the real problem...Then I'll just have to limit myself to 175 on days where I'm getting lots of exercise.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I can't use your link unless I have your name and password. How about copying it for us here. "squash/sweet potato/red potato dinner" is way too much starch. Wherever you are they must have farmer's markets. Buy leafy greens and roots - carrots, turnips, parsnips, beets, rutabagas, etc. They're all cheap. You'll have to learn to cook. Excuses won't do it. Canned fish is cheap and there are hugh variety, also look in Asia markets.

If you want the inflamation to go you have to get to 65-70% fats, 25% protein, 10% carbs. Fiber, particularly insoluble, in inflamatory. Grain has the highest amount of fiber, but carbs have it also. "So I'm like, okay, I need some more carbs", you probably need more protein and fats.

Hey thanks! Here are my quantities:

1 cup, mashed Bananas, raw 51.4
    2 large Egg, whole, cooked, fried 0.8
    1 cup chopped Carrots, raw 12.3
    1 tsp Salt, table 0
    2 cup, cubes Squash, winter, butternut, cooked, baked, without salt 43
    1 potato large (3" to 4-1/4" dia. Potatoes, red, flesh and skin, baked 58.6
    0.5 lbs Yummy Salad 11
    1 cup, mashed Sweet potato, cooked, boiled, without skin 58.1
    5 tablespoon Oil, olive, salad or cooking 0
    0.3 cup, cubes Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties 3.8

I love carrots and I'll go ahead and try your recommendations. Btw I love cooking so thats not a problem. My problem is affordable protein. And isn't canned food just plain bad for you? I used to eat canned tuna but...

So starch is the enemy huh?

I'll take any tips I can get to beat this inflammation for good.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Well what you listed sounds fairly good, but like you aren't getting enough protein. What about buying in bulk? Would that be an option for you?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    My advice is here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread80564.html
    Also, first read our book "The Primal Bluprint". You're not on our diet at all. If you can't afford to buy it, go to your library and read everything on Mark's front page.

I understand that you can't afford Mark's supplements, but you probably can afford a probiotic and an Omega-3.

"And isn't canned food just plain bad for you? I used to eat canned tuna but..." Read the labels. There are some very good ones. The Albacore Tuna I buy has ingredients of "Albacore Tuna" and I love it. Sardines, Herring, etc. are all great.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-13-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Too many carbs, not enough protein. I really overdid the carbs yesterday.

I'm looking at this cheap whey, but I'm not sure if its trustworthy. Amazon.com: Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder, Vanilla, 32 Ounces (907g) - Pack of 2: Health & Personal Care

Bulk really isn't an option for a poor sick guy like me. My headaches have been so bad that I haven't worked in years. That is my primary motivation for this lifestyle. I've felt really good some days. But its still up down, up up down down.

Wait wait wait...hold up. I just remember I started taking my multivitamin yesterday.. is that a possible cause? I've suspected some correlation before.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    One of the pictures from the link you gave shows the ingredients.
    I've seen worse protein powders, but not all the ingredients are Primal:
    Soy lechtin-soy
    Malodextrin-sugar
    Sucralose - Splenda

Aha! Thanks for that! I'll definitely steer clear.

Thanks crypto! I read your other post.

There is a lot of information to digest, so I've been working my way in slowly. I do take probiotics. I drink unsweetened flaxseed milk for omega3 as well as almond milk and coconut milk for other benefits.

Probiotics are a must for me as they really helped me overcome my IBS.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been trying the Alternate day Diet, and it is supposed to be good for inflammation. You might like to get the book and read it. Author: Johnson. Or research SIRT1 online.
    I do the true fast(eating nothing) rather than the 20% calories that is suggested for the alternate days. Since I am fairly low-carb, I don't have much problem with the fasting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast