Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The fight against inflammation! Need reinforcements! page 2

AussieNana is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I had/have a number of auto immune diseases with systemic inflammation in the past. I have had to give up all grains, all legumes, all nightshades, all dairy (no whey). And I need a reasonable amount of carbs to stop my thyroid from tanking - say the equivalent of 50-80 grams of sweet potato twice a day though I can go very low carb for say two days and be ok, though not a week. My last bloods about 4 weeks ago confirmed I have no active inflammation - which I knew from symptoms.

This diet is socially debilitating I have to admit, but I seem to need it. I'm ever hopeful I'll be able to add the nightshades back but a couple of tests this last week have shown I can't eat nice red potatoes as my AI flares. I can get away with a little butter, though not lots of cream. I no longer drink milk or have whey. I have to work on improving my various hormone systems and they are being a mite troublesome.

However I have to say that being food restricted beats having active disease hands down.

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tzulogic View Post
    Wait wait wait...hold up. I just remember I started taking my multivitamin yesterday.. is that a possible cause? I've suspected some correlation before.
    There is a very good chance your multivitamin contains trace amounts of gluten, soy or dairy. You sound like you have real problems, so there is a good chance you are really sensitive to one (or all) of these common allergens. Stay away from the whey powder - there is a high risk it will contain undeclared allergens.
    Make sure you are not getting cross contamination of gluten/soy from other sources. Eg, shampoo/toothpaste/any other supplements or even from other people you live with.

Then, add in some protein. The price of that whey will buy a lot of cans of fish or fresh eggs. Don't worry about the fish being canned or whether the eggs are organic. Do worry about whether they contain any additives or allergens - assume 'vegetable oil' means soy and you need to stay away from it. At this stage you just need to get up to a basic level of better functioning, then you can get a job and afford the better quality stuff. Do see if there is a way you can get some meat for protein. Don't be too fussy - you may be able to get some of the cheaper cuts closer to their use by when they reduce the price.

I also have a GI condition and suffer inflammation that causes joints to ache etc. I know what it is like to lie there and feel as if every cell in your body aches. People who don't feel that almost every day have no idea what it is like.

Whilst green leafy things are good for nutrition, the fact is for people with a GI issue they can be really irritating. Don't force yourself to take those if they make your gut worse. If your gut is bad you don't absorb as much of the nutrition anyway, so reducing that should always a high priority. Choose cheap vegies that sit well with your gut. Carrots, Butternut, sweet potato are all good filling and nutritious. Avocados are often expensive, so maybe spend some of that money on protein.

Keep your spirits up. It takes four days for a glutening to start to to get out of my system. For other people it can take longer. Keep away from the allergens for long enough to really see an impact. Congratulations on taking steps to mend your health through diet. You can get your life back.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Hey thanks! Here are my quantities:

1 cup, mashed Bananas, raw 51.4
    2 large Egg, whole, cooked, fried 0.8
    1 cup chopped Carrots, raw 12.3
    1 tsp Salt, table 0
    2 cup, cubes Squash, winter, butternut, cooked, baked, without salt 43
    1 potato large (3" to 4-1/4" dia. Potatoes, red, flesh and skin, baked 58.6
    0.5 lbs Yummy Salad 11
    1 cup, mashed Sweet potato, cooked, boiled, without skin 58.1
    5 tablespoon Oil, olive, salad or cooking 0
    0.3 cup, cubes Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties 3.8

I love carrots and I'll go ahead and try your recommendations. Btw I love cooking so thats not a problem. My problem is affordable protein. And isn't canned food just plain bad for you? I used to eat canned tuna but...

So starch is the enemy huh?

I'll take any tips I can get to beat this inflammation for good.
    Reduce those ingredients by one third and replace with animal protein and fat, include some coconut oil if possible.

Can you walk to your local supermarket, if so spend some time down there to see when specials are on, if you're not working then make it a daily exercise for a while, it will cost you nothing and you can pick up some bargains.

Forget all the organic, grass fed etc, if you are buying raw product, then there's less chance of bad ingredients.
    Do you have a freezer so if there is bargains on you can stock up?
    Buy a whole chicken instead of parts, roast it, split into 4 or 6 portions, there's a few dinners there, save all the bones and do a bone stock, there are plenty of ways to get affordable animal protein and fat.

You were jumping on the juicing last week weren't you?
    Don't fall into the trap of jumping around different protocols, slow and steady is the order of the day, no drastic changes.

Are you keeping a symptoms diary, recording positive and negative effects, dietary changes etc?
    If you were you could have looked back and seen quite easily if there was a corrolation between the multivitamins and your mood/pain.
    Personally I think multivitamins are a waste of money, just shooting wildly hoping to hit something, probably doing more harm than good.

Just get in and do lots of reading on here and other blogs and links, start to get a feel for what is right for you, you've got plenty of time, you don't need to buy any books, you could spend months just reading Marks Daily Apple blogs and following the links.

Basic balanced Paleo approach, not low fat or low carb, with some low allergenic mods, and don't forget the Paleo lifestyle and exercise, work on the headspace as well, stress management is just as important as diet.
    Last edited by Omni; 03-13-2013 at 06:06 PM.

tzulogic is offline Member
    Okay! So I feel like I cheated by resorting to tylenol and ibuprofen. But my headache is been replaced with general weakness.
    Next time I'll try to skip the pain killers, it's been awhile since I last resorted to them, though I used to take them every day if you can believe that. Now I try not to take them at all, except for these emergencies.

Yes my budget really is a problem, and getting enough calories is to. I'm generous with the olive oil just to make sure I get enough calories. I drink a salad juice early in the day. And then I eat about two more salads later in the day. Overall, my stomach has been alright, except for that experiment with quinoa...

So here is what I'll shoot for, and example day
    Breakfast:
    Sweet Potato with olive oil, 3-4 Eggs, flax milk, juiced veggies, maybe an apple or banana plus coffee
    Snack: an apple or a banana
    Lunch: A huge salad with tuna, beef, or chicken some coconut milk or almond milk maybe a bit of soup
    Snack: a handful of nuts
    Dinner: A soup, plus some salad, or maybe a stir fry, always some kind of meat
    Possibly: Coconut oil 1 tsp in coffee or with water?(I dont like the taste in cooking)

How does that look to you folks?

I forgot to mention: I take apple cider vinegar for inflammation, it really helps, about 1 diluted tsp. twice daily diluted in 1 cup water. I also take probiotics. I'm dairy free, soy free, gluten free, etc.

@ bifcus and aussienana Yes. It is very debilitating. People don't get it. I'm only 23 and people assume that since I'm young and relatively thin that I'm healthy. I just want to live a normal life please. I don't care what I have to eat, what I'm not allowed to eat. I just want to be healthy again.

@ Omni
    I'm going to definitely take a detailed account of everything from now on. It really is probably the best thing I can do. Because my symptoms vary wildly and are unpredictable and confusing, a scientific approach is going to be key I think. There is sooo much information. I've been working my way into it.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    How does that look to you folks?
    Much better.

Over time I imagine you will incorporate more animal fats, organ meats, dark chocolate and colourful vegetables into your diet, replacing snack foods, juices and flax 'milk'.

One thing I've noticed is that there's really no such thing as breakfast or dinner any more for me. There's just meals, with the same sorts of food cooked at any of them.

For example, Yesterday my breakfast was: Bacon, 3 Eggs, Avocado, liver, tomato, capsicum (and about 1T of ghee, which is butterfat). Dinner was a slow cooked stewing steak in a dark tomatoey marinade, served in a 2/1 ratio with boiled rice.

Carbs aren't the devil. There's nothing wrong with getting 20-30% of your calories from carbs if you aren't seeking ketosis. But it sounds like you were getting 60-80% of your calories from carbs, which is a bit out of balance.

Nutrition isn't really about calories, or even about macronutrients (carbs/fats/proteins). It's about micronutrients (vitamins and minerals). Beef liver and eggs are the wonder foods of choice around here.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-13-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I'm a grad student, so I can relate to money issues. Organ meats, though, are quite cheap. About half the price of ground beef. The thought grossed me out at first, but now...I'll probably try some soon.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have autoimmune/inflammation issues as well. I feel best with no nightshades, grains, crappy oils, coffee, eggs or nuts. It is a rough gig, but I don't have to be as strict now as I was in the beginning. But even half of a small potato or a bit of paprika was enough to send me into a flare when I was starting out.

Good luck!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Garlic, onions, scallions, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper are all natural anti-inflammatories.

Coconut oil is also antifungal and antimicrobial.

If your immune system is always on high alert...no sugar, no processed refined carbs, also try taking a 2 week break from all starchy vegetables and all fruits.

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    Inflammation has basically been apart of my life for the past 3 years. TMJD (Jaw disorder) Neck pain, Headaches, and general systemic inflammation have done their best to ruin my quality of life. I have made progress lately with diet and exercise. I will overcome it. However, on days like today I just get angry, and depressed. I'm 23 dammit. I'm tired of being sick and tired and in pain. I want to live a happy healthy energetic existence.

Unfortunately, my inflammation comes back. It's like 2 steps forward, (Sometimes 3) one step back. Today I woke up with a real slammer. I just started keeping track of what I eat. I'm wondering if its the squash/sweet potato/red potato dinner. I haven't had any problems with nightshades yet, and the red potato was like 1 and a half small ones.

Here's what I ate yesterday, before feeling crappy today:

Food journal for the Paleo Diet - PaleoTrack

OKAY, I know that my macronutrients are out of balance. But I'm a poor man. I cant afford chicken or steak all the time, so I'm going to supplement with whey as soon as possible.

Can too many carbs also be inflammatory? Is that what this is? Because I've been super low carb lately, not by choice but by wallet. SO I've been feeling really really slow, and kinda crappy anyways. Only headache free! So I'm like, okay, I need some more carbs... If thats the real problem...Then I'll just have to limit myself to 175 on days where I'm getting lots of exercise.

I would say yes carbs are very inflammatory. I would much rather eat corn fed chicken, steak, fish than eat organic sweet potatoes, rice and fruit.

I am very sensitive to carbs and feel miserable physically and emotionally when I start on that roller coaster.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm sure it will get a thumbs down from many people (that's a Walmart brand, right?) but this is the only protein powder I've found that doesn't mess with my stomach (and I've tried many different kinds).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast