Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant, hungry. Snacks? page

orielwen is offline Senior Member

Pregnant, hungry. Snacks?

Primal Fuel
    I'm now four months pregnant, and in the last few weeks my appetite has gone through the roof. I'm snacking a lot more and a lot of this is fruit, partly because we have a free fruitbowl at work and partly because that's what I seem to want. But I'm a little worried I might be getting too much sugar now. I have maybe an apple and two tangerines a day, and once or twice I even succumbed to the chocolate raisins.

I've increased my breakfast egg intake and started taking extra eggs to work to snack on, but I still go back to the fruit or other sweet things. Is this a problem?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Fruit is a great snack! Eat lots of it. Raw and/or grass- fed milk cheese paired with it is near perfect.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Mmm cheese, definitely. Old Amsterdam or Manchego for choice, but they're expensive. And yoghurt, too.

I forgot to mention that I'm eating quite a bit of dried fruit too: raisins, prunes, dates. I'm trying to avoid too many nuts for fear of the omega-6s, but they slip in too.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, cheese rules. Agreed about the nuts! and dried fruit is fine too as long as its sulfite and dye free.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    I'm now four months pregnant, and in the last few weeks my appetite has gone through the roof. I'm snacking a lot more and a lot of this is fruit, partly because we have a free fruitbowl at work and partly because that's what I seem to want. But I'm a little worried I might be getting too much sugar now. I have maybe an apple and two tangerines a day, and once or twice I even succumbed to the chocolate raisins.

I've increased my breakfast egg intake and started taking extra eggs to work to snack on, but I still go back to the fruit or other sweet things. Is this a problem?
    Nope, not a problem. Agreed - cheese is great. My favorites are those made from raw sheeps milk, imported, Gouda, Blue Cheese - which is so good it can be spread on anything. Enjoy.

Over the years Doctors have switched back and forth from gain all the weight you want, to gain only a few pounds more than the baby weighs. I'd say, do what your body wants. It's the real expert.

Aloe is offline Member
    I'm pregnant as well, and these are some good ideas!
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You're growing another person. Its not just you that you've got to eat for now. Carbohydrates and fruit are not bad for you!

Why are you snacking? Eat MEALS.

None of the snack foods you listed are 'bad' for you or will 'make you' gain unnecessary weight. Its the act of EATING them unconsciously, or for reasons other than hunger, that cause excess weight.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    When I got pregnant, at 3 months I suddenly had to start eating 6 meals a day. I was suddenly hungry and had to eat, whether I had food with me or not. By 4 months, my doctor told me I was putting on too much weight. At 5 months, I stopped being so hungry, and at 6 months my doctor announced I needed to start gaining weight again. Go figure.

I do eat meals. I've added extra eggs to my breakfast (which also involves a large bowl of Greek yoghurt, some pickled herring, beetroot, grapefruit, and almonds), and often have chicken soup (basically stock with extra chicken fat/gravy drippings and butter) along with my (very large) salad of cold meat and vegetables in an olive oil and butter dressing at lunch. Dinner is often roast meat with root veg, or some sort of stew, and I eat loads. The trouble is that within an hour or so of a meal that's as large as I can manage, I'm hungry again!

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    I do eat meals. I've added extra eggs to my breakfast (which also involves a large bowl of Greek yoghurt, some pickled herring, beetroot, grapefruit, and almonds), and often have chicken soup (basically stock with extra chicken fat/gravy drippings and butter) along with my (very large) salad of cold meat and vegetables in an olive oil and butter dressing at lunch. Dinner is often roast meat with root veg, or some sort of stew, and I eat loads. The trouble is that within an hour or so of a meal that's as large as I can manage, I'm hungry again!
    I've been pregnant twice- the first time I ditched my primal diet and ate bagels, bread, pizza, ice cream. You know, because I NEEDED those things. Not that weight gain matters, but I did gain 50lbs. With my second babe, I kept a primal diet, ate much what you are eating now, but found it really worked best if I ate what I craved. What I mean is, if I NEEDED carbs, I dug into fruit, potatoes w/ butter etc. I ate a lot of Lara Bars, which while processed, helped to keep me happy. Other times, I felt I needed tons of meat. By eating what I felt I wanted (but keeping my choices healthy), my hunger was a bit more satisfied. Isn't this sort of true non pregnant also? I digress...

Really tho, eat when you need to to and remember to drink your water. If you eat a big breakfast and are hungry an hour later, have a snack. It's a big job, growing another human in your tummy.
    There is a god change that in a few weeks, your hunger will decrease- I think it all has to do with whats' going on with the baby. He/She may be in crazy growth mode right now! Listen to your body. Make good choices. Hunger will eb and flow over the next 5 months.

And congrats on your miracle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast