Thread: New; question about Cancer and Paleo page

emmarobinson is offline Junior Member

New; question about Cancer and Paleo

Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    My name is Emma and I just turned 25. I have a dear friend who directed me here. I've heard wonderful things about the Paleo lifestyle and helping with auto immune diseases, etc. But what about cancer? I recently had thyroid cancer, and had my thyroid removed, and turned down radioactive iodine treatment and instead am currently doing a detox program. After detox, I'd like to "go Paleo" but I worry about some of the foods. For example, what about red meat? It's acidic and cancer lives in acidic environment. I haven't heard a story of cancer and Paleo. If anyone has any knowledge or know where to direct me, I would appreciate it.
    Thank you.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Maybe somebody can break it down better for you than I can, but I just want to point out a couple of things.

First, the whole "meat being acidic" thing... sure, some foods are more acidic and others more alkaline, but when it comes to keeping your body in equilibrium... well your body does a pretty darn good job of it. Links to meat and cancer never seem to distinguish between real meat, and processed meats like deli meat, pepperoni, sausages, bacon, etc. So there's that.

Also, from what I know of cancer (mother & sister are survivors, lost 2 grandfathers to it,) cancer is much more a fan of sugars than anything else. Reducing sugar consumption will do far more for preventing/eliminating cancer cells than any possible harm meat could do.

Anyone got numbers, stats, info handy? I don't have it.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Once you cut out the 'processed meats' from the meat category, any link between cancer and meat goes away.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Will you have to supplement with Thyroid hormone?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Anna Andersen is offline Junior Member
    Emma,

I just discovered this terrific website today and saw your query in the forum. Coincidentally, I have been personally exploring a type of ketogenic diet (an emphasis of caloric intake from healthy fats, moderate high quality protein intake, and low carbs) to optimize my health and just a few days ago I read a fascinating article on Dr. Mercola's website about the promise of a ketogenic diet for cancer patients. The title of the article is "Ketogenic Diet May Be Key to Cancer Recovery" posted March 10, 2013 on mercola.com. There are lots of additional archived articles on dietary approaches to treating cancer on that website that may prove helpful if you want to explore other research being done on this subject. As someone with advanced training in medical science, I can attest to the quality and thoroughness of Mercola's articles - I've learned so much myself and hope to learn more on Mark's Daily Apple. The medical industrial complex still struggles to think outside the box, so, thank goodness for all of the fantastic resources on the internet. Best of luck and well wishes.
    Last edited by Anna Andersen; 03-13-2013 at 08:49 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I am very much in favor of using diet to boost health and prevent illness. I respect every person's right to choose their own treatment path, But I hope you will carefully consider your option to decline I-131 treatment. It can be an incredibly effective treatment with very limited side effects in many people. Treatment of early thyroid cancer can be highly successful.

In regards to diet, I would focus on whole, unprocessed foods. Meat, veggies, and fruit are the biologically appropriate foods for humans - so I would not worry about the acidic properties either way.

Best of luck on your journey.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html