Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: I need help! This just isn't doing anything and I'm stuck for ideas. page 7

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    eve, am SOOO glad you took the time to do some reading and research over the weekend. gah, it's frustrating trying to help peeps on the interwebs who won't help themselves. a plethora of knowledge on-line is FREE and knowledge is power. a few years back, i spent a weekend reading every single one of mark's blog posts. it was after finding atkins and dr.eades and a few others that helped me make the low-carb transition. i got healthier very quickly and lost weight without starving or suffering. i mean, c'mon, butter and avocados? lol, what's not to like?

as many have said, this is not simply about dropping weight. it's becoming healthier, which for some can take a long time. once the body realizes you're finally nurturing it, it will be capable of all sorts of good things, but that all takes time and many are so very impatient.

the sad is so insidiously damaging and that long-term result often seems to coincide for women when we approach or enter our 40s. together they absolutely SUCK. guys in their 20s can turn into chris helmsworth in a couple months but it takes most older women more time and a more focused approach.

Last edited by noodletoy; 03-18-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Hell, yeah, testify sister Noodletoy!

When I started this I also came in through Dr. Eades and the others. I was at this point in my life where no matter how much exercise I got I got fatter little by little anyway and I could not seem to exert the willpower to starve myself thin anymore. I was just too hungry. So I started eating this way and 1st miracle was that with all the fat to eat I wasn't hungry anymore and now I could eat less. Hooray! Then the frustration set in because I was doing everything right but not losing weight. I didn't lose weight for 5 weeks. Then I did and it all came off pretty quickly. But this is as far as it's gone. I'm okay with being the weight I am though since it comes with eating all the healthy food I can possibly shove in my pie hole. (Funny thing about healthy food is it really does taste better and there's only so much you can shove in your pie hole compared to say cookies and ice cream which has no limit.)

Other weird changes along the way other than weight loss:
    - Hot flashes day and night. I don't think they were hormones. I think this was finally giving my body nutrients it needed.
    - More energy. I really did want to exercise, not just "take my medicine" about it.
    - Less exercise got the job done. Didn't need to work myself to death. Just get out and move a little in the sun.
    - Eventually I really wanted to sprint and lift weights. The body comp changes of that and the tangible progress has been fun.
    - My mood has changed. I'm happier inside and out.
    - My tastes changed. All kinds of food I didn't care much about tastes so good now while all that processed stuff tastes horrible to me.

Give it time. Eating this way does way more than help you achieve a normal weight. It won't make you lose weight any faster than other diets and it won't take off that last 10lbs or make you look like a fashion model or whatever you are trying to do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

costahobo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You are on a starvation diet.
    I don't buy this. Homeless people and concentration camp survivors don't buy it, either. Why are people who eat very little food, very skinny? Why are anorexic people skin and bones? If they were on a 'starvation diet', shouldn't they be overweight?

i live next to a homeless shelter and most of the residents and visitors are quite fat, because their diet is indeed nutrient-poor, but very carb-heavy.

concentration camp victims were not just being starved but also forced to work under inhumanly grueling conditions, like breaking rocks and digging ditches, 18 hours a day, 7 days per week. they weren't eating chips and sitting on the couch.

when i was working my way through life with disordered eating, i did it mostly on protein and lettuce because those threw up most easily. i was indeed stick thin, but wouldn't touch anything carby, even though i was incredibly active as a personal trainer. it's not just how much, but what. the op is also older with what is likely a very deranged metabolism.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 03-18-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you look back at photos from the 40s and 30s of poor people, you see they are uniformly skinny. They didn't have enough real food to eat, and there was no other kind. Now, thanks to government subsidies for production of wheat, corn, soy, and oil seed, there now exists a supply of cheap, low-nutrient calories. Food stamps in only enough quantity to help poor people buy such cheap food means poor people are still malnourished but no longer need be skinny.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-18-2013 at 10:16 AM.

back then lots of people smoked too, which sped up their metabolisms, while shortening their lifespans.

Ernest Hemingway

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Good for you, Eve, for reading the book! But after reading the book you should see that Primal will be difficult to follow without eating meat. When "Mark said you could do it," was that in an email directed to you specifically, or a general statement? I just don't think you can do a non-meat non-gall-bladder Primal diet without specialized help (I know I couldn't.)

Costahobo, those on starvation diets who turned skin and bones were thin to begin with. Larger people on starvation diets are still skin and bones and no muscle; they just have a lot of fat that the body doesn't know how to metabolize. Gary Taubes relates a story about a species of rat that is so programmed for fat retention, that they die of starvation even while they were still fat. While that's an extreme example, it pretty much blows CW out of the water.

Besides, it's no good to compare the 30's and 40's with now. It was only after World War II that food was abundant enough, and people sedentary enough, to gain weight consistently. But even hundreds of years ago, people could get fat on carbs. Look at all Old Master paintings that feature fat and busty innkeepers' wives. The women did incredible amounts of manual labor, so why were they still fat? They were probably genetically more carb sensitive than usual, lived on potatoes and bread.

The most meaningful comparison would be between 1958 June Cleaver and 1992 Roseanne Barr. June Cleaver had the same general appliances and exercise level that Roseanne did. Yet millions of June Cleavers were thin as a rail and millions of Roseanne Barrs are big. This also goes counter to CW. William Davis goes into more detail with his June Cleaver example in Wheat Belly
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

lol. many june cleavers were on doctor-prescribed speed. most women who take drugs today from their doctor take antidepressants, for which a most common side-effect is weight gain.

ward and june also had one car, meaning she walked everyplace while dad was at work.

joking aside, william banting went low carb in the late 1800s and famously lost TONS of weight.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 03-18-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Ernest Hemingway

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    lol. many june cleavers were on doctor-prescribed speed. most women who take drugs today from their doctor take antidepressants, for which a most common side-effect is weight gain. ward and june also had one car, meaning she walked everyplace while dad was at work.
    Very well, if June walked everywhere on speed and Ward was the lazy one with the car and office job, then why wasn't Ward fat? And come on, we've all seen the trend.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

costahobo is offline Junior Member
    I've never seen one single overweight homeless person here in Costa Rica. Our diets are heavy in carbohydrates; the typical meal is animal protein, rice, beans, salad and bread. I would assume that when a homeless person were to scrounge up enough money to eat, they would buy a typical 'casado', which is a normal Costa Rican dish that I just described, that can be bought for roughly $3 USD.

When I was the thinnest of my adult life while living in Costa Rica, it was during a period when I only ate the typical Costa Rican casados for 3 meals a day. I did zero exercise, and my meals were carb-heavy. This flies in the face of many modern diets, yet I dropped from 250 lbs to 175 lbs just doing this and nothing else. It also coincided with a period when I wasn't making as much money, so this was all that I could afford to eat; it added up to roughly 1,600 calories per day, and I lost body fat like crazy. In fact, anytime I need to lose weight, that is the diet that I immediately turn to.

It doesn't make any sense to me, in the sense of many diets that say that carbs or wheat are bad, but it undoubtedly works very, very well. To me, it's because of the drastic decrease in calories (which should normally put me into "starvation mode", since I'm a 6'4" guy, and all the online calculators say I need to eat 2200 on the low end to 2700 on the high end to lose weight). By me eating 1600 calories of very carb-heavy meals, I should be into "starvation mode" hanging onto fat and losing muscle like crazy, but my body doesn't work that way at all.

I don't know why people are different in different countries, but when I first moved to Costa Rica, people were uniformly skinny. American fast food had just gotten here, and it wasn't popular yet. 10 years later, and everybody is just fat. Coincidence? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i live next to a homeless shelter and most of the residents and visitors are quite fat, because their diet is indeed nutrient-poor, but very carb-heavy.

concentration camp victims were not just being starved but also forced to work under inhumanly grueling conditions, like breaking rocks and digging ditches, 18 hours a day, 7 days per week. they weren't eating chips and sitting on the couch.

when i was working my way through life with disordered eating, i did it mostly on protein and lettuce because those threw up most easily. i was indeed stick thin, but wouldn't touch anything carby, even though i was incredibly active as a personal trainer. it's not just how much, but what. the op is also older with what is likely a very deranged metabolism.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast