Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help! This just isn't doing anything and I'm stuck for ideas. page 4

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi Eve,

This is a good post on the links between gall bladder disease and wheat:

The Link Between Gallbladder Disease and Gluten Sensitivity | Paleo Parents

"As is so often the case with research linking gluten sensitivity to other health complications, the research is strongest in the context of celiac disease. Approximately 60% of celiac disease sufferers are known to have liver, gallbladder, and/or pancreatic conditions. While some of these conditions may be a result of the malnutrition and/or directly linked to the gut damage that occurs in celiac disease, others are thought to share common genetic factors or have a common immunopathogenesis (i.e., the condition originates from the same immune system attacks on the small intestine also attacking these organs) "
    Last edited by upupandaway; 03-14-2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Typo!

Try making primal crab cakes, place your salmon over a big salad with lots of olive oil, make shrimp scampi with garlic and lots of olive oil. Toss veggies you like in olive oil throw them on a baking sheet and cook at 350 till tender. Since you are eating fish you still have lots of options. If i were you I would search through some primal recipie sites and see what catches your eye, cooking doesn't have to be so intimidating. Full fat greek yogurt with berries is an awesome way to start your day.
    Nomnompaleo
    Paleomg
    Foodiegoneprimal (my site)
    All of these have at least a couple of recipies that should catch your eye.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    Get rid of the ready meals...they are your problem

One of the side effects of sulphites (preservatives) is weight gain......yogurt...jelly.....ready meals...pretty much anyhing processed is loaded with sulphites.....

You wont lose any weight till you ditch the processed food.....regardless of how many calories and what the food is made of....

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve2206 View Post
    Hi

I'm 5 foot, 56 years old female, and I weigh around 11 stone (couple of pounds under). Been thin all my life till about mid-40's then I gained weight. I gave up karate and running around about the same time though so that didn't help I guess.

Veggie - yes I was a junk food veggie, cheese, bread, chips (fries) veggie burgers, veggie spaghetti bolognese, etc etc anything easy to cook which usually involved stodge. I've tried cooking with lentils, beans, tofu and so on but don't usually like what ends up on my plate. I really do not have the patience for cooking fiddly veggie food, and I also have to cook something more mainstream for family. Happy with something like a piece of salmon or similar with some greens and a few potatoes. Or just a bit of fish with coleslaw and salad.

My old diet consisted of (on average), porridge (just water, no milk or sugar), quorn ham and salad sandwich for lunch, and a low fat/diet yoghurt, bar of choc in the afternoon or a piece of fruit, and an evening meal. Then before bed I would usually have ate some sort of junk - maybe toast or a biscuit etc. But looking at this now, I can see that I've never been a big eater, certainly not enough to explain the 33 + extra pounds I'm carrying.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself because the extra weight is making me ill - I just don't carry it well and I have achy knees and feet and hunched shoulders because of it. I had my gall bladder removed 6 years ago, but weight remains the same.

I prefer keeping the carbs under control as I feel less bloated without them. Low fat just makes me hungry and also doesn't stop me eating rubbish such as low fat candy bars! If I cut carbs and fat I can lose weight but that's not really healthy or sustainable. I genuinely am struggling a bit.

Thanks
    Just wanted to say that I feel for you and I hope you figure something out. I havent read the whole thread so maybe someone has suggested this - but have you been to the doctor to get your thyroid checked?

It sounds like you are eating way too little. Im not an expert so I don't really want to advise, but you may be interested in reading the "women who eat a ton without gaining" thread.

Good luck!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    So you want us to help because not eating primally isn't working, but you take offense to the suggestion that you actually learn to eat primally? On the Mark's Daily Apple forums? What are you asking of us?

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Well, I've been doing (my version) primal now for nearly a month and I haven't lost any weight or inches.
    Try doing the Mark Sisson version. You'd be amazed at how well Primal works if you're......Primal.

Jeeze louise guys - give the OP a break. She said she's just started and is doing it incrementally. She understands the concepts and is in a transitional phase. Not everyone can go cold turkey.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Do you mean me? Would it have helped if I had added a smiley face? I'm not being mean. There are enough mean people here already. There's nothing wrong with a transitional phase. Everyone goes at their own pace.

My point is that it doesn't make sense to wonder why it doesn't work when you aren't even doing it. There are quite a few posts lately from people just starting, who are drinking and eating things like jello and cookies and diet soda or beer, talking about indulgences and cheats already, asking why they aren't losing weight - as if Primal is a quick fix or a temporary diet tool bandaid you can apply and remove whenever you like. It's frustrating for them, but also frustrating for us.

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    It's fair enough to adapt to the Primal lifestyle slowly and gradually, and do small changes, if that's what works for you, but you won't get dramatic or quick results. Subtle changes, yes, and these will build up over time.

Applaud you for ditching the grains - stick with it. All grains give me bloating and water retention. You may notice some difference just losing that. Veggie sausages etc often have added wheat, so be careful if you eat those. Don't worry about fibre - you get plenty of that from fruit and veg.

Swap the sugar free jelly for some berries, and the vanilla yoghurt for plain with a bit of honey.

Try cooking from scratch once a week if it feels too daunting to ditch the ready meals altogether.
    Last edited by PaleoPanda; 03-14-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Do you mean me? Would it have helped if I had added a smiley face? I'm not being mean. There are enough mean people here already. There's nothing wrong with a transitional phase. Everyone goes at their own pace.

My point is that it doesn't make sense to wonder why it doesn't work when you aren't even doing it. There are quite a few posts lately from people just starting, who are drinking and eating things like jello and cookies and diet soda or beer, talking about indulgences and cheats already, asking why they aren't losing weight - as if Primal is a quick fix or a temporary diet tool bandaid you can apply and remove whenever you like. It's frustrating for them, but also frustrating for us.
    Not specifically you at all (smiley face ). I'm just surprised that people are honing in on the toast and jello rather than the fact that she's not losing on 500 cals per day. Anorexics can drop weight by subsisting on a daily can of coke and a plain bagel.

I think the OP should get a check up.

- Ray Peat

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast