Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help! This just isn't doing anything and I'm stuck for ideas. page 3

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I hope you notice the difference!

I used to live on oats. I miss them now, but I found it made me feel the same as bread... bloated, and hungry shortly afterwards. I now buy quinoa flakes and prepare them like oats. Not the same, but BOY IS IT FILLING.
    And cereal? Also grains, processed, and sugary. Even the "Health Food" ones are iffy. I don't touch the stuff anymore. It was another breakfast food that left me hungry 1-2 hours later.

Some primal people eat rice, but I've given that up too, and gladly. Have never been much if a rice fan unless it was covered with other yummy food... but for what purpose? It was a tasteless, nutritionless filler in comparison. And again, bloating.

Sometimes I may incidentally eat corn if I'm out and they put it on my burrito bowl, but I don't stress over that because corn doesn't give me that "feeling" other grains do.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I wanted to add that decreased appetite is an effect of low carb in many people. For most that's how weightloss happens, but I know that mine severely bottomed out the first week of low carb Primal and I could definitely put it away before (I went from binge eater to barely 1000 calories/day in a few days).

I haven't made up my mind about oats yet. It's easier to stay very low carb on no grains at all, but in the future...I do like baked oatmeal, and it's one of the most filling foods I know of.
    Rice I've decided against because I had sushi with rice once after going primal and it gave me terrible heartburn.
    Last edited by s-piper; 03-13-2013 at 06:45 PM.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve2206 View Post
    So who's to say the old cavemen didn't grind a few grains to make some sort of 'bread'? They probably didn't but hey, I'm not going to argue about all this.
    I feel like you're taking the whole concept literally. Maybe caveman did grind grains, maybe he didn't. It doesn't mean you should eat bread. If he happened to come across a bag of potato chips, he would have probably scarfed it down. It doesn't mean you should eat potato chips.

Cut grains and get your calories and saturated fats up. Give this a good, honest go. Once you start seeing progress or are at your goal, add in the oats if you still want to. Or eat the oats if you're fine with where you are. What works for somebody else doesn't necessarily work for you.You can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. So if eating grains is not yielding results, cut them and see what happens.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    I feel like you're taking the whole concept literally. Maybe caveman did grind grains, maybe he didn't. It doesn't mean you should eat bread. If he happened to come across a bag of potato chips, he would have probably scarfed it down. It doesn't mean you should eat potato chips.

Cut grains and get your calories and saturated fats up. Give this a good, honest go. Once you start seeing progress or are at your goal, add in the oats if you still want to. Or eat the oats if you're fine with where you are. What works for somebody else doesn't necessarily work for you.You can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. So if eating grains is not yielding results, cut them and see what happens.
    This.

That's why I said try for 30 days. If you don't feel any different off grains and miss bread a lot you can always start eating them again.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    So who's to say the old cavemen didn't grind a few grains to make some sort of 'bread'? They probably didn't but hey, I'm not going to argue about all this.
    There's some evidence that they did, but that isn't the point. The question is, will it be healthy for you to eat them?

I've re-read Mark's primal concepts and some other stuff in between posts and now feel better after reading that coupled with the advice others here have given, and I'm going to scrap the grains, increase primal food intake, use olive oil and butter, and so on.
    Great stuff.

What about oats?? I know that's a grain, but I've heard other people on here saying they eat it.
    They are a grey area for me. I personally don't eat porridge any more since I don't desire it, but I still allow my children to eat it. If you feel a craving for it, I won't judge you. Go ahead. Our daughter has it with yoghurt, cream and raw milk.

Mark's advice in a nutshell is to keep the diet as natural as possible and that's what I've been trying to do. I've even stopped eating cereal with soya milk which I like. So I'm trying to get it right. Yoghurt = natural unprocessed with a few berries. I can do that. Cheese, yes. Veggie burgers, no! Eggs, fish. Maybe a few lentils now and then. Lots of salad leaves and veg and potatoes.
    I think that the centerpiece of a meal is quality protein. It's great that you like fish, since most people don't eat enough of that. Why do you not like meat?

I'm a poor cook at best. I can cook meat dishes ok, but I don't eat them.
    Maybe make it a goal to add one new recipe every week to your repetiore? Do you like oriental food? Because you can make some fairly tasty curries and the coconut cream has a lot of calories in it.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-13-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Kool is offline Senior Member
    If you miss eating breads and oats, try the primal recipes for them!
    Bread: Paleo Bread - Healthy Gluten Free Bread Recipe - Elana's Pantry
    I made this and it tastes d e l i c i o u s
    This is MDA's recipe for primal oatmeal: Oat-Free Oatmeal | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
    Haven't tried that yet since I've been scarfing down my primal bread
    Honestly, I don't miss regular bread and oatmeal after abstaining from them and weight loss is very easy now

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    My main problem is getting the calories I need - probably about 1250 a day - so I've been trying to eat more fat to compensate. I can eat 1250 calories a day on around 70g carbs I think.
    Hmm I'm confused by the original post and this one.

For weight loss you should try 1200 calories (or whatever is appropriate for your size/age) but only 40g of carbs (entirely from vegetables, most of them green).

No toast or potatoes or fruit or sugar for weight loss. Zero.

Do that for a month religiously combined with some light cardio. Should do the trick.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Hi

I posted not so long ago about stuff, especially about making sure I eat enough calories. Well, I've been doing (my version) primal now for nearly a month and I haven't lost any weight or inches. I don't feel any better - maybe just a bit actually as I'm not so bloated around the tummy area. My diet is typically between 500 and 1200 calories a day - genuinely! I've been eating fish as my main meal most days. I've added more fat to my diet some days. My main meal of the day is a ready meal so all the calories, carbs, fat etc are counted for me and it's better than my cooking. I tend not to eat until 3pm most days and have a single slice of seeded toast (9.5g net carbs - it has 5g fibre) with 1/2 to 1oz butter or I will have a lump of cheese - pre packed 1oz lump. Then about 8pm I will have my ready meal which is about 350 calories and 12g net carbs for salmon, green veg and 3 very small new potatoes (or max 18g on cod meal). The fibre per meal is around 10g give or take. If I'm very peckish I will have a sugar free jelly and cream or vanilla organic yoghurt after.

If you're feeling 'very peckish' eat another ready meal.

Instead of toast, eat a salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing and 3 of those lumps of cheese.

Add a tablespoon of butter to your ready meal. Extra calories, no added food volume.

I am baffled as to why you are counting grams of fiber.

Have you read the book? "Your version" of primal is not very primal, so that might be why you're not getting 'primal' results.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Well, I've been doing (my version) primal now for nearly a month and I haven't lost any weight or inches......
    So, how comes I'm still a little fat blob on a diet like this???
    That tells me you have the wrong attitude, outside of existing on not just a SAD, you crashed your health with a Veg SAD which is likely even worse, you had your gall bladder removed, likely because of diet, now you want results in a month, how many years were you eating crap and treating your body the same way.

Even with all the variations of Primal opinion, you know yourself you are nowhere near it, you've read some, read some more, change your attitude, it's not about not being a fat little blob, it's about all over health, body and mind.

You sound reluctant to put in any more than the minimum effort, this won't work, you may as well eat crap.

If you choose health it is a long term commitment and you will need to make changes in your life, learn to cook and enjoy food, learn to enjoy exercise, find your niche and get your headspace sorted and find a way to love yourself and your body, without this you can't listen to your body and detect the subtle changes.

Most people don't listen to all the things there body has been telling them until it finally screams loud and clear it's time to go to hospital and this is usually too late.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You are on a starvation diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You have absolutely no idea what Primal is.

These.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast