Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help! This just isn't doing anything and I'm stuck for ideas. page 2

tzulogic is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    If eating more calories means you get carbs, then so be it. You're hurting yourself. At least eat a big salad every day. Top it with olive oil, and be generous with olive oil in your cooking. That will help with calories.

You bet stress will keep the weight on. My mom busts her ass and eats very little. She's still overweight. Your weight is making you less ill then being undernourished is. You need to eat more, even if you have to force it at first.

Low calories=low metabolism+stress=weight

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    If you are feeling "peckish", then eat more meat/fish!

Make your breakfast HUGE. Try 3 or 4 eggs, plus some sort of meat... sausage or ham, or some mince/ground. Throw some butter on there.

Don't eat when you aren't hungry, but if you are hungry, EAT. Fill up. You do not need to increase your carbs in order to eat more... but you really do have to eat MORE.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I'm not going to tell you that you aren't Primal because that's not really helpful, but here's my specific thoughts:
    1. You aren't eating enough.
    2. Grains are thought to be pro-inflammatory, so you may want to try doing an experiment: Cut out all grains for 30 days, you can still get plenty of fiber and carb from vegetables, fruit and tubers. You might experience an improvement in your joints independent of weightloss.
    3. Ready meals are pretty much never a good idea. Check the ingredients and see if they use corn starch, corn oil, soybean oil, added sugars, preservatives. I bet you'll find there's all kinds of unhealthy things in there.
    Having to learn to cook and make it a priority is just one of the lifestyle changes that come with Primal/Paleo. We've all been there!
    If you're big on vegetables, they aren't that hard to cook. There's no messing with meat thermometers so that you don't give yourself salmonella with chicken. No estimating cooking time by the thickness of the steak. It can be as simple as tossing them in a pot of boiling water and then taking out when they're just slightly soft, basically as easy as making pasta al dente. And if you eat them raw there's no cooking required at all.
    4. Your ready meals sound like they'd be easy enough to replicate on your own. You can buy the vegetables fresh, or you can start off with frozen. The frozen vegetables are blanched and flash frozen, so you just have to heat them up to eat. If you're too intimidated to jump into cooking fish, you can start with canned - tuna, salmon, kippers, anchovies, sardines are all varities available canned. Just be sure to check the ingredients and choose ones that are packaged in olive oil or water, not canola or soybean oil. Some searching online, I'm sure, will give you plenty of options for seasonings and sauces if you find them too bland.
    Last edited by s-piper; 03-13-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    You're not on the Primal Blueprint diet at all. First read that book.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You have absolutely no idea what Primal is.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Eve2206 is offline Junior Member
    My resting heart rate is about 55 - 60 bpm so maybe my metabolism has slowed. It's hard for me to be fully primal but I'm trying. Fish, eggs, cheese, butter, salad leaves, potatoes and lots of other veg. Mark says veggies can do this way of eating, but it's harder. My main problem is getting the calories I need - probably about 1250 a day - so I've been trying to eat more fat to compensate. I can eat 1250 calories a day on around 70g carbs I think. I've managed it on a few days here and there. But when I'm eating healthy I don't get very hungry. And so the calories drop. And weight/health does not improve.

I'm just stuck.

I looked at ready meal ingredients and they are all natural things you keep in your own pantry. It's a good brand.
    Last edited by Eve2206; 03-13-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: more info

Hi

Thanks for all your useful comments. I will try and cut grains completely for 30 days. And increase olive oil, etc and take on board the info about eating more.

Cryptocode, SBhikes - your comments aren't really telling me anything I don't already know. But, I bet there's things you two eat that they didn't have back in the caveman days! So please, let's face it, are the majority of people here truly primal? Some of us are a bit slower in getting there than others.

I've been following the site and Mark's advice on and off for a couple of years, but I struggle to stick with it. I'm trying and that's the best I can do. Mark says I can eat some things like legumes and so on whereas others here say you shouldn't. Everyone has a slightly different opinion on what is ok and what isn't. I don't mind - I will take advice when it's offered in good faith and well meant, as I know many of you on here have been living like this for a while now and know what you're talking about.

Thanks again

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    You said you ate a lot of junk before, so you are capable of packing away a lot of calories, yes? It seems that you're afraid to go high fat, don't want to keep the carbs low, and aren't getting enough protein because you're vegetarian. So no fat, no carbs, no protein = no calories. Forget the macro counts for a while and just work on getting your calories up to a decent level.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I always saw paleo/primal as eating foods in their natural form, and that these foods should be those we adapted to and evolved on prior to agriculture. To me, this doesn't mean ONLY eating what was around 10,000 years ago, it means eating the TYPE of foods these ancestors ate. So, if broccoli wasn't around, it doesn't really make it non-primal. It's a vegetable. Vegetables were around.

cows, sheep, deer etc as they are today are different to what they were back then... but they are animals.
    I'm sure chickens and their eggs weren't exactly readily available... but they would have eaten birds, and other eggs.

We may have differing opinions about things like legumes and dairy (I avoid legumes, but eat dairy) but you'll find that grains are a universal no-no for primal.

So who's to say the old cavemen didn't grind a few grains to make some sort of 'bread'? They probably didn't but hey, I'm not going to argue about all this.

I've re-read Mark's primal concepts and some other stuff in between posts and now feel better after reading that coupled with the advice others here have given, and I'm going to scrap the grains, increase primal food intake, use olive oil and butter, and so on. What about oats?? I know that's a grain, but I've heard other people on here saying they eat it. Mark's advice in a nutshell is to keep the diet as natural as possible and that's what I've been trying to do. I've even stopped eating cereal with soya milk which I like. So I'm trying to get it right. Yoghurt = natural unprocessed with a few berries. I can do that. Cheese, yes. Veggie burgers, no! Eggs, fish. Maybe a few lentils now and then. Lots of salad leaves and veg and potatoes.

I will try again for a month and post the results. Thanks all.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast